A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi A6 won't start - again..

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 won't start - again..

recently got a 2002 Audi A6 Quattro in February. Since having it we have had its oil changed, engine coils replaced (2 had been replaced right before we purchased it, then we did the rest). Then when I had troubles with it starting I got the whole ignition system changed, something about the key fob not being read right and not turning all the way(sorry it's so much being done and I'm not good with cars unfortunately). Then when we began having more troubles with it starting we got the alternator replaced. Now I am having troubles getting it to start again. It's been running so amazing I don't understand. We have a small oil leak, someone broke the oil pan/filter right before we bought it. We put oil in when needed, before a warning light comes on. We have had the check engine light on most of this time but mechanics keep telling me it's not something I should worry about right now they've looked into it. So, when I try to start the car it turns all the lights on just fine nothing really looks dead or like it's dying. But when I turn the key all the way, it just does not start. No noises, no troubles turning the key just nothing. I don't know what to do anymore. I love this car and do not want to get rid of it, I actually hope to keep it and also buy an allroad..
Old 09-20-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

After all that, I have to say you are not providing enough information. What engine? There are a multitude of things that can prevent one of these cars from starting. When you say it won't start what do you mean? Does it crank (the motor spins over) but not fire? Again several causes if that is the case. It seems that your mechanic is not very adept at least with Audis. He has been throwing parts at the car in hopes of solving the problem(s). Most of the things that you say have been done probably have nothing to do with it not starting. You can literally throw thousands of dollars at one of these with very little effort and get nothing for the effort except shiny new parts. Broke the oil pan/ filter? These are two completely different components. You admit not having much mechanical knowledge so you need to find someone that does. I recommend you find an independent repair shop that is familiar with Audi and knows what they are doing. Otherwise get out your wallet......
Old 09-20-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
After all that, I have to say you are not providing enough information. What engine? There are a multitude of things that can prevent one of these cars from starting. When you say it won't start what do you mean? Does it crank (the motor spins over) but not fire? Again several causes if that is the case. It seems that your mechanic is not very adept at least with Audis. He has been throwing parts at the car in hopes of solving the problem(s). Most of the things that you say have been done probably have nothing to do with it not starting. You can literally throw thousands of dollars at one of these with very little effort and get nothing for the effort except shiny new parts. Broke the oil pan/ filter? These are two completely different components. You admit not having much mechanical knowledge so you need to find someone that does. I recommend you find an independent repair shop that is familiar with Audi and knows what they are doing. Otherwise get out your wallet......
we have a 3.0 engine. And no I said there is nothing, no noise. I turn the key all the way and it turns all the way until it stop without trying to start. I had driven it no problems just a couple hours prior. About the oil pan, I was told there was something above it, that it had been cracked. I am calling the mechanic to find out exactly in his words what he’s done so I can relay this better. The mechanic I’ve been going to for most work keeps advising me to get rid of it and get something more like a Subaru.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Okay. The key fob could have lost programming, the fob battery could be dead, are all the keys having the same effect? Since it ran and then didn't all of a sudden it could be any of the things I've mentioned. It could also be the ignition switch itself. Does the ignition switch feel loose or the key feel sloppy in the switch. Could also be the neutral safety switch.The only thing above the oil pan is the engine block. If that's where the crack is, it's serious as in fatal. Has your mechanic used a scan tool on the car to look for fault codes? Aside from the crack the scan tool can probably track down the problems. Your mechanic is probably right about getting rid of the car, at this point. He has already (based on your initial post) cost you a lot of money by throwing parts at the car instead of properly diagnosing the issues and fixing them. An Audi, while a nice car, can become a literal money pit in short order, especially if you can't due the work yourself. Sorry for your troubles.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Okay. The key fob could have lost programming, the fob battery could be dead, are all the keys having the same effect? Since it ran and then didn't all of a sudden it could be any of the things I've mentioned. It could also be the ignition switch itself. Does the ignition switch feel loose or the key feel sloppy in the switch. Could also be the neutral safety switch.The only thing above the oil pan is the engine block. If that's where the crack is, it's serious as in fatal. Has your mechanic used a scan tool on the car to look for fault codes? Aside from the crack the scan tool can probably track down the problems. Your mechanic is probably right about getting rid of the car, at this point. He has already (based on your initial post) cost you a lot of money by throwing parts at the car instead of properly diagnosing the issues and fixing them. An Audi, while a nice car, can become a literal money pit in short order, especially if you can't due the work yourself. Sorry for your troubles.
what would I go about doing about the key fob losing programming and what about it being dead? I have been saying this feels like the issue to me since the beginning and they keep shrugging it off. I also have been reading and the crankshaft position sensor sounds like a potential problem, would this sound like a possibility? I have had the codes checked but not since I had the alternator replaced (a couple months) and did not get the code numbers. I wouldn’t say it feels loose in the ignition. I was told he “replaced most of that” motioning at my steering wheel area. I have watched them run codes and they never say anything along the lines of “oh no this is bad” I keep asking what needs to be replaced next, what looks worn after the alternator they said it looks fine. My family and I love this car a lot. If it is replaced we would be replacing it with an all road and I would be scared of having the same problems. Thank you for your help I’m at a loss at where to turn. I am contacting local shops but it’s hard to explain these things. Could a battery going bad cause problems like this or would it click if it were dying? I know I said all the lights turn on but as I turn it over to where it should be starting that battery gauge goes slightly below 12v and stays there.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i can say that I really don’t believe the crack is in the engine block. Also, we only have one key fob, was only given one when we bought it.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

so I went out to it again, trying a reprogram I have seen on this forum for one key. It was to press unlock on the fob once and then unlock manually in drivers door. I did this and went to turn it on and it worked. I let it run for a couple minutes, turned it off. Then when I tried to turn it back on it wouldn’t. Try to do the same thing and another method I saw and couldn’t get it back on still. Sorry to message so many times.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You need to find someone with a good VAGCOM reader/scanner. Some of them will allow you to reset or reprogram keys. RossTech is the most recommended. It definitely seems to be lock/key related. Personally at this point I would try to get it running again then get it to a dealer since you haven't got an independent shop that is competent to resolve this. Then I would have the dealer cut at least one extra key and program it(about $280 ). During this process they would discover any problems related to the locking/ security issue and should be able to tell you what is wrong. When you followed the reset procedure you are on the right track. After it has sat undisturbed for an hour or so try the reset again and then several more times in succession. This can let you know if it is intermittent. Have you changed the battery in the fob? Another trick is called a hard reset. Disconnect the battery for half an hour or longer then reconnect it. This will sometimes reset or clear fault codes. If you decide to get an Allroad then my advice would be to take it to someone that knows Audis VERY well and get it inspected first. This can help you avoid these problems. There is another thread on here from Hitman where he found an independent appraiser to inspect a car for him since it was over 1000 miles away. Worth knowing for future reference.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You need to find someone with a good VAGCOM reader/scanner. Some of them will allow you to reset or reprogram keys. RossTech is the most recommended. It definitely seems to be lock/key related. Personally at this point I would try to get it running again then get it to a dealer since you haven't got an independent shop that is competent to resolve this. Then I would have the dealer cut at least one extra key and program it(about $280 ). During this process they would discover any problems related to the locking/ security issue and should be able to tell you what is wrong. When you followed the reset procedure you are on the right track. After it has sat undisturbed for an hour or so try the reset again and then several more times in succession. This can let you know if it is intermittent. Have you changed the battery in the fob? Another trick is called a hard reset. Disconnect the battery for half an hour or longer then reconnect it. This will sometimes reset or clear fault codes. If you decide to get an Allroad then my advice would be to take it to someone that knows Audis VERY well and get it inspected first. This can help you avoid these problems. There is another thread on here from Hitman where he found an independent appraiser to inspect a car for him since it was over 1000 miles away. Worth knowing for future reference.
i will try to do that as soon as possible. I can’t really afford to get stranded though so I am going to see if I can have one brought to me. I haven’t tried to start it yet today have been very busy with plumber issues but am
about to now. I will certainly be getting the next one checked into before I purchase so I have a better understanding of what’s ahead of me. I have not changed the battery in the fob since we have had it, and i’m sure the previous owners hadn’t anytime recently. Can I purchase them off amazon or something like that? Then just put them in (was reading the car manual about doing so) and it should be ok or will I need to do something to program it again or will I need to pay to have it reprogrammed professionally? I do not know how to unplug the battery but I’m sure it’s simple and I could youtube it. Thank you for all your help honestly it’s been very insightful! I had nowhere to start haha
Old 09-21-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is what the battery looks like in my fob
Will these batteries work for replacement?

Quick Reply: Audi A6 won't start - again..