Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Leaving for 6 months: What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaving for 6 months: What should I do?

I am leaving for 6 months and won't be driving my Q5 TDI. It is parked in secured underground parking, but what should I do if anything to take care of the car for 6 months?

I don't have any nearby plug to charge the battery or anything... should I just leave everything as-is or should I remove the battery and charge (or trickle charge or whatever those things are) it at my mom's house or something (can't park whole car there)?

Don't have a car cover, but should I consider some cover option for the car? It definitely will get dusty not moving for 6 months...

Anything else to consider?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

If I believed the battery was in good condition, I'd probably just add diesel fuel stabilizer in a few tanks before you depart so it's well-mixed by the time you put it away. The battery should start the car upon your return.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Remove the battery and put it on a smart trickle charger at your mom's house. Inflate your tires to the maximum pressure allowed for your specific tires. Put a tray of mouse poison on the floor of the car. A car cover would be a good idea. See if you can find one that comes with a steel cable that runs under the car and can be secured with a padlock to discourage theft of the cover. Add the appropriate amount of fuel preservative to your fuel tank and then fill the tank.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

They will preserve the life of the engine and ensure that your car starts when you return to it.
  1. Keep It Covered. A garage is the ideal place to store a vehicle. ...
  2. Clean It Up. ...
  3. Change the Oil. ...
  4. Top Off the Tank. ...
  5. Keep It Charged. ...
  6. Don't Use the Parking Brake. ...
  7. Prevent Flat Spots. ...
  8. Keep Critters Out.
More items...

How To Prep Your Car for Long-Term Storage | Edmunds
Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Having a trusted friend or family member use (not just a short trip) the vehicle occasionally (every few weeks) is another plan.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check with your insurance company to see if they have a reduced rate for cars which are placed in temporary storage. My company, USAA, gives a significant discount for any vehicle placed in storage for 30 days or more. Essentially they discontinue your BI, property damage, collision, etc. leaving in place your comprehensive coverage which is really all you need for a stored vehicle. Don't do this, however, if you're going to have someone drive your car periodically while you're gone as Shokhead suggested.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

1. Remove the -ve pole.
2. Put a kitchen towel in the exhaust to avoid air/moisture entering.
3. Fill it up with fuel
Old 09-21-2017, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Having a trusted friend or family member use (not just a short trip) the vehicle occasionally (every few weeks) is another plan.
Really, this is the best idea. twice a week.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shokhead
Really, this is the best idea. twice a week.
I would agree if her insurance company won't give her a significant discount while her car is in storage.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The battery is an AGM battery, and it can sit unconnected for six months without taking any damage. If you can take it out and put it on a trickle charger, yes, that will be better, but not essential. I would suggest something like a NOCO Genius charger, which is considerably more expensive than a $20 "tender", because the $20 chargers can easily DAMAGE an AGM battery. They're just not very good at the job, the folks who make them are pretty much clerks selling boxes, with no understanding of the products and issues.

And yes, you do have to at least disconnect the battery, or the car will eat it within 2 months. There is some type of pyrotechnic disconnect fuse device on the negative cable assembly, Audi notes that should be handled with care.

When you put stabilizer in the fuel tank, you actually need to add the stabilizer, drive around for a while so it circulates through the fuel system and tank, and THEN come back to fill up the tank and park it. How long is a while? I'd give it at least 15 minutes. If you put it in a day or two before filling up, that's fine too.

Put a little extra air in the tires, inflate them to the max PSI, since they may lose a pound a month while they are sitting.

Quick Reply: Leaving for 6 months: What should I do?