Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 Gas Mileage Experience?

Old 09-21-2017, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS5 Gas Mileage Experience?

Any RS5 owners out there able to report their gas mileage? Understand this is a sports car but the tank seems to only be 15 gallons....if it's not getting 20 mpg in daily driving it seems like one would have to fill up every 260-300 miles...
Old 09-21-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiRS5Fan
Any RS5 owners out there able to report their gas mileage? Understand this is a sports car but the tank seems to only be 15 gallons....if it's not getting 20 mpg in daily driving it seems like one would have to fill up every 260-300 miles...
The Audi S5 is very close to this. I'm getting about 300 miles to a tank in city. Filling up about 3 times a month.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On my S5 the long term gas mileage is 14MPG, I barely get 200 miles to a tank. The RS5 should be worse. I don't understand the reason for going turbo if the gas mileage is worse than my previous Audi with a 4.2l V8...
Old 09-21-2017, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stankia
On my S5 the long term gas mileage is 14MPG, I barely get 200 miles to a tank. The RS5 should be worse. I don't understand the reason for going turbo if the gas mileage is worse than my previous Audi with a 4.2l V8...
Not sure how you're getting 14 mpg. I was getting 18 in Sport / dynamic. 14 for overall long term is pretty damn crappy.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Cause the gas mileage is not for how YOU and I drive but how the EPA testers drive which currently favors turbos at near zero boost levels. Lol.
The following users liked this post:
secondS6 (02-05-2020)
Old 09-22-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

On my '13 RS5 (gone now for a '18 S5) I was getting 21-22 at freeway speeds and around 18 average daily commute.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhblaw
On my '13 RS5 (gone now for a '18 S5) I was getting 21-22 at freeway speeds and around 18 average daily commute.
With only 750 miles on my S5 Sportback, I have been driving super gentle for the break in and I got about 18mpg in city, slightly worse than my previous 2013 S4 if driven in the same way. I also feel the S5 is quite loud and sluggish off standing start, kind of feel and sound like it has a small 4 cylinder engine. I have to say I prefer and miss the throttle response of the supercharged engine, and the fast and smooth shifting of the dual clutch transmission. The new engine does seem to be getting stronger with more driving miles, I hope it will keep improving, otherwise I can not see the advantage. On the other hand, the rest of the car is definitely a generation ahead of the old car, especially the new tech gadgets. Also the new seats are so much more comfortable than those in the S4 for me, that alone is probably worth it for the upgrade.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Based on your profile you seem to be located in the U.S., so I assume you are in the wrong forum as the B9 RS5 is not being sold yet in the U.S. As far as the B8.5 RS5 is concerned and other cars for that matter, gas mileage depends on how heavy your foot is, but don't expect any miracles. The EPA average is 18 mpg, but if you drive the car like it's meant to be that's far from reality. My overall average according to the board computer and 58k miles is 15.3 mpg that's up about 0.5 mpg from my previous V8 S4, so I guess that's a testimony to the RS5 engine being more efficient despite being more powerful. I do a lot of canyon carving where the mpg is somewhere in the single digits :-), but I also have done some really long road trips, so that brings up the average somewhat. Really not something I think about much. I know it's not politically correct anymore these days, but it's an RS after all. So yes, I'm pretty much filling up around 200 miles, usually when I'm down to a quarter tank.

As for the new RS5, well here is the dirty secret about downsizing and turbo engines. All these improved numbers are only achievable if you drive like a grandma and keep the turbo out of boost. If you drive it like you stole it, gas mileage goes down the drain and is often worse then the previous larger NA engines. For example, the 718 Boxter 4-cyl turbo turns out to be about 10% less efficient than the previous 6 cylinder naturally aspirated engine, because people don't exactly buy a Porsche to doodle around like a grandma.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-22-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WENR
With only 750 miles on my S5 Sportback, I have been driving super gentle for the break in and I got about 18mpg in city, slightly worse than my previous 2013 S4 if driven in the same way. I also feel the S5 is quite loud and sluggish off standing start, kind of feel and sound like it has a small 4 cylinder engine. I have to say I prefer and miss the throttle response of the supercharged engine, and the fast and smooth shifting of the dual clutch transmission. The new engine does seem to be getting stronger with more driving miles, I hope it will keep improving, otherwise I can not see the advantage. On the other hand, the rest of the car is definitely a generation ahead of the old car, especially the new tech gadgets. Also the new seats are so much more comfortable than those in the S4 for me, that alone is probably worth it for the upgrade.
One reason the S5 is sluggish off the line is it starts from 2nd gear, even in dynamic mode, the only way I can get my S5 in first gear is by manually shifting it. Why Audi did this on a sport model is beyond me. Quite annoying. Hopefully someone who comes out with a tune can fix this.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I have 5400 miles on the odometer of my S5SB and my long term average is now 24mpg. On some mornings I average close to 30mpg in my 30 mile mostly highway commute. I can't understand how you are only getting 14mpg, unless you only drive uphill while pulling a boat in 2nd gear. Is it possible that something just isn't right with your car/engine? If you going on a long highway cruise, what kind of mileage are you seeing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS5 Gas Mileage Experience?