Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Should I change my S3 with an RS3? Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I change my S3 with an RS3? Help...

My DD is an 2014 S3 Sportback which I purchased new. I love the car and thinks it drives perfect.

Nevertheless all of a sudden I feel the need to upgrade to a new RS3 Sportback.

Am I crazy or would that be a good move?

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Since the thought has entered your mind... I would say "yes"!!! :-)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Never driven an RS3 so my response is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I come from a much more powerful car that I used as a DD and am now getting an S3 instead for a couple of reasons which might resonate or not:

-I get frustrated driving powerful cars at normal speeds (the alternative is cumulating a lot of speeding fines). Feels like their engines need to be revved.
-more powerful cars have limits you will never reach outside of a track and are therefore less fun for spirited (responsible) drives on streets.
-you never relax cruising in a very powerful car and cruising is sometimes part of DD.

Not sure if the RS3 has the same characteristics as the S3 but I fell in love with the dual personality of the S3 which makes it eventually the ultimate DD if you like sporty cars and need 4 seats.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Butter throttle

The thing I love about the RS3, is that it accelerates any way you want it to (D, S, or M). The car just obeys quickly. I have to goose it in D, but it’s great for gas mileage and thick traffic, lower revving. S is the lazy man’s M, but will consume more gas, if you care, while leaving everyone in the dust. I’ve never driven an S3, but the RS3 blows away two boxsters and two Carreras.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pninja005
My DD is an 2014 S3 Sportback which I purchased new. I love the car and thinks it drives perfect.

Nevertheless all of a sudden I feel the need to upgrade to a new RS3 Sportback.

Am I crazy or would that be a good move?

Thanks for your feedback!
I upgraded my 2015 S3 to a 2018 RS3 - I wasn't quite happy with the S3 Mag suspension and went with the fixed 'sport' suspension in the RS3. I also have a weak ego and couldn't let a more powerful RS3 slip by. I had my deposit down 18 months before the car arrived. Transitioning from the S3 made zero financial sense, with the S3 being a very good car, and much of the extra RS3 power cannot be exploited in city traffic. I wouldn't go back though - the RS3 is bonkers.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tjacoby
I upgraded my 2015 S3 to a 2018 RS3 - I wasn't quite happy with the S3 Mag suspension and went with the fixed 'sport' suspension in the RS3. I also have a weak ego and couldn't let a more powerful RS3 slip by. I had my deposit down 18 months before the car arrived. Transitioning from the S3 made zero financial sense, with the S3 being a very good car, and much of the extra RS3 power cannot be exploited in city traffic. I wouldn't go back though - the RS3 is bonkers.
Very interesting comments on suspensions. I have a 2017 S3 with Mag Ride and have it setup in the individual mode to Auto. I would like to hear how that compares with the RS3 fixed sport suspension under most driving conditions...speed bumps, undulating pavement, manhole covers etc. and you know Vancouver roads!!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

The only reason to upgrade is RS3's 5-cyl engine (and exhaust note), otherwise, your S3 would satisfy 95% of your need for a fast compact sports hatchback.

Last edited by twoesfour; 09-23-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default S3.....happy

Coming out of a MK VII R, stage 2, I am thrilled w the S3. More refined throughout. So other than show mods, APR flash, CAI... will help throttle response, get up and go... but those RS3 brakes , front end...steering wheel... if I had the coin... dangerous 💰💰

Last edited by MuRaN0Daddy; 09-23-2017 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-23-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman
Very interesting comments on suspensions. I have a 2017 S3 with Mag Ride and have it setup in the individual mode to Auto. I would like to hear how that compares with the RS3 fixed sport suspension under most driving conditions...speed bumps, undulating pavement, manhole covers etc. and you know Vancouver roads!!
I think 2017 was a change to the Mag setup, prior each system (engine, suspension, traction control) were separate ECU's and these were consolidated in 2017 to a single ecu. Reviews seem to indicate this is an improvement.

I couldn't handle 'Comfort' - Hwy 1 through Surrey/Langley/etc would wallow and slowly bounce around like a 1980's American Car; you can probably tell I lived in Dynamic. But having a computer in control of the shock setup just frustrated me, it wasn't completely consistent - and I freaked a few times in a fast sweeper, in Dynamic, with the back-end hitting a bump. The front-end was firm enough but the back-end was much too soft, imo, to try and balance out the ride. back seat passengers would complain sometimes of nausea from the motion. Also felt like the shocks were too soft, or too firm for the springs - each setting being a compromise.

The RS3, with the fixed suspension, doesn't suffer from any of those challenges - it's consistent and much more confidence inspiring. I can drive the front end of the car and the back end around a corner. My first thoughts were it was a mid-setting between Comfort and Dynamic, now I'm not so sure - it's different overall. I've taken my wife and mother-in-law to Kelowna and back with no suspension complaints (apparently passing an RCMP SUV up the Coq is frowned upon though). Also feels like there's more suspension travel. While I'm sure the Mag setup in the RS3 is very good, I'm good with what I've got. besides, Audi Canada said it's better by giving me the 280km/h top-end and charged me more for the word 'sport'. The UK market pays extra for the Mag Suspension, and considers the fixed suspension the base offering.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tjacoby
I think 2017 was a change to the Mag setup, prior each system (engine, suspension, traction control) were separate ECU's and these were consolidated in 2017 to a single ecu. Reviews seem to indicate this is an improvement.

I couldn't handle 'Comfort' - Hwy 1 through Surrey/Langley/etc would wallow and slowly bounce around like a 1980's American Car; you can probably tell I lived in Dynamic. But having a computer in control of the shock setup just frustrated me, it wasn't completely consistent - and I freaked a few times in a fast sweeper, in Dynamic, with the back-end hitting a bump. The front-end was firm enough but the back-end was much too soft, imo, to try and balance out the ride. back seat passengers would complain sometimes of nausea from the motion. Also felt like the shocks were too soft, or too firm for the springs - each setting being a compromise.

The RS3, with the fixed suspension, doesn't suffer from any of those challenges - it's consistent and much more confidence inspiring. I can drive the front end of the car and the back end around a corner. My first thoughts were it was a mid-setting between Comfort and Dynamic, now I'm not so sure - it's different overall. I've taken my wife and mother-in-law to Kelowna and back with no suspension complaints (apparently passing an RCMP SUV up the Coq is frowned upon though). Also feels like there's more suspension travel. While I'm sure the Mag setup in the RS3 is very good, I'm good with what I've got. besides, Audi Canada said it's better by giving me the 280km/h top-end and charged me more for the word 'sport'. The UK market pays extra for the Mag Suspension, and considers the fixed suspension the base offering.
Thanks for your comments, as what you state for comfort and dynamic are my experiences as well in a 2017 FL S3. I have found auto to be the best compromise but even then I think I would prefer a truly well designed compliant fixed suspension.

Quick Reply: Should I change my S3 with an RS3? Help...