Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 windshield replacement

I have 2015 Q5. A rock hit my front windshield and now I have a big crack. Did any one use places other than dealer to replace the windshield?
I live in California and my dealer quoted me $ 1100 ...
Old 09-22-2017, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had a crack in my windshield for about 3 years. It is down on the lower right, so it isn't in my normal sight line. I was quoted the $1,100 at the Audi dealer and about $600 through Safelite. One of these days I will get around to fixing it. The safelite people use aftermarket glass. If I wanted them to use "Audi" glass, it would have been about $900.

If I didn't go through the dealer, I would take pictures before and after to make sure the trim around the window is replaced correctly.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

If you have collision/comprehensive insurance, it would only be the deductible. $100 in my case each time. Recently had Safelite to the 2015 S8 BTW; they were able to get ins. to approve dealer/OE glass.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocmom
I have 2015 Q5. A rock hit my front windshield and now I have a big crack. Did any one use places other than dealer to replace the windshield?
I live in California and my dealer quoted me $ 1100 ...
Make sure they use OEM.
The following users liked this post:
Red22SQ5 (05-01-2023)
Old 09-23-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Andy
I have had a crack in my windshield for about 3 years. It is down on the lower right, so it isn't in my normal sight line. I was quoted the $1,100 at the Audi dealer and about $600 through Safelite. One of these days I will get around to fixing it. The safelite people use aftermarket glass. If I wanted them to use "Audi" glass, it would have been about $900.

If I didn't go through the dealer, I would take pictures before and after to make sure the trim around the window is replaced correctly.
I'd second taking pictures of the trim prior to having the work done. Had Safelite replace the windshield on my Toyota Sequoia and they messed up the trim around the window
Old 09-23-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I used AAA auto glass to replace the windshield on my A6. Was about $380 - took a little over 1 hr and was done right in the parking lot at my office.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If it is covered under insurance, I'd probably use the dealer. But I've used Safelite in the past. They are franchised shops, so the quality may vary. The long-term warranty is covered by corporate though. Aftermarket glass can be just as good as OEM, and should be. The problem with either one is that if they clean out the channel where the glass sits, and they don't properly re-prime any bare metal that leaves, it will eventually rust and the rust may put enough pressure on the edge of the glass to crack the new windshield. I had that happen once, and after a long discussion got Safelite corporate to pay for the windshield AND repair the rust now in the roof. I don't think Audi would do that. If I have to have another windshield replaced, I'm going to physically be there to confirm there is no bare metal, before the glass goes in. No matter who is installing it.

Dealer? Does one or two windshields a week in the body shop? Safelite flunky does a dozen every day. Who's got more practice?

With mine, I think it was $300 installed from Safelite versus $900 for just the OEM glass at a dealer. Easy decision, and the glass has always been identical to OEM.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
If it is covered under insurance, I'd probably use the dealer. But I've used Safelite in the past. They are franchised shops, so the quality may vary. The long-term warranty is covered by corporate though. Aftermarket glass can be just as good as OEM, and should be. The problem with either one is that if they clean out the channel where the glass sits, and they don't properly re-prime any bare metal that leaves, it will eventually rust and the rust may put enough pressure on the edge of the glass to crack the new windshield. I had that happen once, and after a long discussion got Safelite corporate to pay for the windshield AND repair the rust now in the roof. I don't think Audi would do that. If I have to have another windshield replaced, I'm going to physically be there to confirm there is no bare metal, before the glass goes in. No matter who is installing it.

Dealer? Does one or two windshields a week in the body shop? Safelite flunky does a dozen every day. Who's got more practice?

With mine, I think it was $300 installed from Safelite versus $900 for just the OEM glass at a dealer. Easy decision, and the glass has always been identical to OEM.
And I got a replacement and it wasn't like OEM so there ya go.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Somebody replaced my radiator with one that wasn't like OEM too. So? I said no, that's going out, that's not the right part. The discussion was fairly short, the part got changed. Either you "bought cheap, paid dearly" or you got cheated. That happens with many things.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Somebody replaced my radiator with one that wasn't like OEM too. So? I said no, that's going out, that's not the right part. The discussion was fairly short, the part got changed. Either you "bought cheap, paid dearly" or you got cheated. That happens with many things.
Or I was asked, OEM or not. I didn't know any better so I didn't get OEM. After it was finished I could see the difference. My advice, if you are keeping it then OEM, if not then don't.

Quick Reply: Q5 windshield replacement