Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Slow Speed Turns - Clicking Sound From Front End

Old 09-22-2017, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Slow Speed Turns - Clicking Sound From Front End

We just started noticing a clicking/popping sound coming from the front end with slow speed turns...sounds like a control arm or something with the steering rack? Any others have/had this issue and what's the fix. Our Q7 is a '17 with approx. 3000 miles.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine has been doing this for about two months now. You can also hear it if you are reversing and turning. I'm going to take mine to the dealer. I also have a humming sound from the steering wheel when I do some very slow 5mph turns. I am still convinced my power/electric steering is not working correctly.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by itiongo
Mine has been doing this for about two months now. You can also hear it if you are reversing and turning. I'm going to take mine to the dealer. I also have a humming sound from the steering wheel when I do some very slow 5mph turns. I am still convinced my power/electric steering is not working correctly.
Thanks for the reply...pls keep us posted on what's the fix for the front end noise, has to be something in the steering rack/front susp.

With respect to the steering wheel turning noise inside the vehicle, I had this in my 2016 S550 Coupe, it is a relatively common problem and had something to do with a part (steering shaft) just behind where the steering wheel attaches (I'd imagine Audi and MB use the same supplier).

Last edited by RJC 1; 09-23-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

does it only make the noise when you are moving? As opposed to if you aren't and turn the wheel (I know, dry steering, not supposed to...). If only when moving, could be a CV joint.....
Old 09-23-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine only makes the noise when moving.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And does it make it both when turning left and right? Also - have you looked in the wheel well? Any signs of rubbing?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. Only when moving slowly and turning wheel in either direction. No rubbing.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty sure I have the same issue. I notice it when making sharper turns in and out of parking spaces both forward and back, moving slow. Its kind a of a creaking sound more then a clicking. Its definitely coming from something in the suspension. Never been an issue in normal driving, so just figured it was one of things dealer will say is normal. Let us know if you learn more.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Pretty sure I have the same issue. I notice it when making sharper turns in and out of parking spaces both forward and back, moving slow. Its kind a of a creaking sound more then a clicking. Its definitely coming from something in the suspension. Never been an issue in normal driving, so just figured it was one of things dealer will say is normal. Let us know if you learn more.
That sounds just like mine. This is not normal so don't let them tell you it is...have them try to demonstrate the noise in a new one (I'd bet they wont be able to).
Old 09-24-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably doesn’t matter, but active suspension or regular?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slow Speed Turns - Clicking Sound From Front End