Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Hot S5

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hot S5

I need to turn air condition on even in 60 degree night in southern California with my S5 SB, otherwise the vent blows warm air that is just too hot for comfort. I ended up need to have air on all the time. While I am sure I do not need to in the same temperature in my previous Audi. I took it to dealer and was persuaded that it was normal. Now it has been 3 weeks since I had my car, the weather is getting colder, but still not cold enough not to have air on. Wondering if anyone else noticed the same? And if it has something to do with that I have the warm weather package on the car.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an S5 Coupe in Austin, which I’m positive is much hotter than CA. My complaint is the opposite — often the air coming out of the vents is too cold even when set at 73. Something sounds wrong with yours. I’d fight for them to do more.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only recently have I not used the ac, as temps took a short dip in northern Cali last week.

I normally have my temp set to 72, rarely on auto unless the car has been sitting in the sun. I normally have the fan on the lowest setting since the air is often cold.

I've noticed significant heat coming from the front end of the car, maybe its normal but I've never had a car get that warm to touch on the exterior panels. I have not experienced this in a few weeks, so it could have been a combination of the outside temp and duration of the drive.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

When you turn the a/c off, what temp do you have the climate control set at? You might want to try setting the temp down to 60 degrees (or the lowest setting) and then see what happens. I am guessing that if you have it set somewhere in the 70s or higher the system might be adding some heat to the air coming into the cabin where it will not if you have it turned down to the lowest setting.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I leave my climate control set to 70F Auto and it works perfectly at keeping the cabin comfortable.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amademann
Only recently have I not used the ac, as temps took a short dip in northern Cali last week.

I normally have my temp set to 72, rarely on auto unless the car has been sitting in the sun. I normally have the fan on the lowest setting since the air is often cold.

I've noticed significant heat coming from the front end of the car, maybe its normal but I've never had a car get that warm to touch on the exterior panels. I have not experienced this in a few weeks, so it could have been a combination of the outside temp and duration of the drive.
In my previous S4 I have no problem setting the temperature at around 70 without air condition on when outside temperature is below that, I would feel quite comfortable. Now even when I set to "Lo" I still feel hot inside the cabinet, so I have to turn air condition on even in 65 degree night. Thank you for all the responses, it seems nobody else has the same experience, I tend to believe there is something wrong with my S5, or that Audi has a different ventilation setting for cars with cold weather package. I am not sure my local dealer is very helpful with this problem, I may try calling Audi direct and see if they have some suggestion.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WENR
In my previous S4 I have no problem setting the temperature at around 70 without air condition on when outside temperature is below that, I would feel quite comfortable. Now even when I set to "Lo" I still feel hot inside the cabinet, so I have to turn air condition on even in 65 degree night. Thank you for all the responses, it seems nobody else has the same experience, I tend to believe there is something wrong with my S5, or that Audi has a different ventilation setting for cars with cold weather package. I am not sure my local dealer is very helpful with this problem, I may try calling Audi direct and see if they have some suggestion.
The other idea is to make them show you in another new car on the lot if they insist that they "all behave this way".
Old 09-25-2017, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by WENR
I'll offer one more suggestion that might at least help narrow down the problem. Buy a cheap infrared thermometer from Amazon and use it to measure the ambient temperature in different parts of the cabin, then the temperature coming out of the vents at different set points. The air coming out of the vents should be colder than the set point and should be at least 10 to 15 degrees colder than the ambient cabin temps. I can do the same on my car this weekend if you need something to compare yours to. If the temps seem normal, it may just be an issue of not enough airflow.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I'll offer one more suggestion that might at least help narrow down the problem. Buy a cheap infrared thermometer from Amazon and use it to measure the ambient temperature in different parts of the cabin, then the temperature coming out of the vents at different set points. The air coming out of the vents should be colder than the set point and should be at least 10 to 15 degrees colder than the ambient cabin temps. I can do the same on my car this weekend if you need something to compare yours to. If the temps seem normal, it may just be an issue of not enough airflow.
Thank you for your offer. I will look into the thermometer.

I drove my car both in the morning and evening today, while the engine is completely cold the ventilation system is working cool enough for me without air condition, and it stayed comfortable in about 70 degree weather for a 20 minutes drive. However, I drove it to dinner in the evening, and after parking at the restaurant for 1 hours, I started the engine and instantly very hot air came out of the vent, and the air remained warm in about 67 degree outside temperature I had to turn on air condition to keep inside the cabinet comfortable. If I am to guess, I would say my car with cold weather package is designed for use in much colder area than Los Angeles, the instant warm air would be very welcome in freezing weather, but not very enjoyable here for most part of a year. Anyway, I still could not be sure if my car's vent system is running normal or not. I have been busy today but I plan to call Audi USA and see if they have ny suggestion. And I would love to be able to ride or drive another S5 Sportback and see if it behaves different from mine.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm experiencing something similar. I've owned my S5 sportback for a few months now and im not happy with cooling system at all. Sometimes its throwing really cold air and other times it gets really hot. I have to constantly fiddle with the temperature. I have run into times where i have to crank it down completely on a hot day which i have never had to do in any of my previous cars. There is definitely something off! i havent take to the dealership yet but it maybe i'll do that on my next visit.

Quick Reply: Hot S5