Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Anyone else have this: rear taillight delay on startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Anyone else have this: rear taillight delay on startup

I did a VCDS scan and noticed some intermittent faults for bulb 2 right brake lamp, but only thing I see after testing is that on starting the car, when all tail lights come on, the top of the right hand side comes on a second or two slower than the left. In the video ( a few seconds), watch the top of the taillights when car is started. Is this normal? (I'm thinking not)

Old 09-23-2017, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Curious how did you realize this, were you scanning just for fun or did you scan after noticing the delay? I always wonder if something doesn't work and I have no idea. Something like this would be impossible for me to notice.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Curious how did you realize this, were you scanning just for fun or did you scan after noticing the delay? I always wonder if something doesn't work and I have no idea. Something like this would be impossible for me to notice.
I have been having all sorts of error codes on my Q7, one of which was for rear lighting and stuff. I didn't even think to look at the lights like you had, when it comes back from the shop next week, I will take a look and see if mine is doing this also. I had a number of "lighting system" failed errors, Including headlight, license place and rear lights among many others like traction control. The deal wanted to apply some software update and then check to see if there were still errors. I will let you know if anything interesting comes of it once I get it back.

Good catch on delayed light response, when doing braking that bit of time could make a major difference to the driver behind you. I look forward to hearing more about this issue when you resolve it and find the cause also.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I was going to bring it in for 10k first service, thought I'd run my own scan first to see if there was something I should have them look at, and it had RR "bulb 2" intermittent faults, so I had my wife check the rear while I tried brakes, turn signals etc. and she noticed the delay when starting the car, everything else is fine. I think it is indicative of a bad connection, and we will see what the dealer says next week.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
I was going to bring it in for 10k first service, thought I'd run my own scan first to see if there was something I should have them look at, and it had RR "bulb 2" intermittent faults, so I had my wife check the rear while I tried brakes, turn signals etc. and she noticed the delay when starting the car, everything else is fine. I think it is indicative of a bad connection, and we will see what the dealer says next week.
Good luck, it must have been bothering the heck out of drivers behind you, especially the other Q7 drivers. Making them wonder "Hmm does mine do that too" and getting their significant others to check their tails.
Keep us posted, hopefully it's nothing that will keep your ride in service for long.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting. Keep us updated on the result
Old 09-30-2017, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine had issues with the lights not coming back on after the tailgate had been opened. (The lights on the tailgate wouldn't illuminate, but the bumper lights would come on as a back-up.)

If the tailgate was never opened - no problems, the light were on all the time and normal as can be. After the gate was opened, there would be an error message.

Under warranty, the dealer stated many had a wiring harness issue for the tailgate lights. Had it changed out and no issues for 6 months now.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So, 2 things (car back from dealer):

1) The delay on the right upper taillight coming on, they acknowledged, and tracked down to a faulty micro switch: "80C-959-121 SWITCH".

2) I like poster above also had no main taillights, intermittently, which first they said was related to micro-switch above, and finally came down to the "bump stops" on rear tailgate being too far out, so when closed did not trigger a sensor in tailgate latch, so main tail lights remained off becuase car thought the tail gate was open. These turn very easily btw, I may add some shoe goo to them.

Anyway, good service from Sewell Houston, even it the part took 3 days to order, had a loaner Q7 with 3.0L engine, could not really notice the difference, 2.0L is fine, i'm an older guy I guess, 2 cents...
Old 09-30-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
So, 2 things (car back from dealer):

1) The delay on the right upper taillight coming on, they acknowledged, and tracked down to a faulty micro switch: "80C-959-121 SWITCH".

2) I like poster above also had no main taillights, intermittently, which first they said was related to micro-switch above, and finally came down to the "bump stops" on rear tailgate being too far out, so when closed did not trigger a sensor in tailgate latch, so main tail lights remained off becuase car thought the tail gate was open. These turn very easily btw, I may add some shoe goo to them.

Anyway, good service from Sewell Houston, even it the part took 3 days to order, had a loaner Q7 with 3.0L engine, could not really notice the difference, 2.0L is fine, i'm an older guy I guess, 2 cents...
Did you have the Grey Q7 loaner (2017 P+, VC, Cooled seats)? I had that one a week ago while getting XPEL installed. I know thats a very odd question
Old 09-30-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Did you have the Grey Q7 loaner (2017 P+, VC, Cooled seats)? I had that one a week ago while getting XPEL installed. I know thats a very odd question
Lol, yes, they have a hard time selling the Grays... I never quite got used to the active lane assist, I think I drive straighter than it does...

Quick Reply: Anyone else have this: rear taillight delay on startup