Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Did anyone drive the Range Rover Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Did anyone drive the Range Rover Sport?

So as you guys know, I have a Q7 on order that should be here very soon (2 weeks). However the wife and I had the weekend without kids as we were celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. For some reason I never considered Land Rover when looking at new cars for her. I saw my local dealership had some new Velar's and we went by to check them out. When we saw it in person we quickly realized it was too small. Then we drove the Range Rover Sport and my wife kind of really liked it. They have 4 different engines to choose from on that car but she has always liked beefier Suv's. I have heard the stories about Land Rover's but think the new ones are a little better and we would be leasing so not a huge deal. What are your guy's thoughts?

Jesse
Old 09-25-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always heard that reliability is questionable but i haven't driven a RR sport in at least 5 years.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I shopped it and really liked it especially because it had a diesel engine which moved very well. Interior is nice (but not Q7 nice), but the exterior is very nice and the biggest draw for me. However, it rides heavy which was a huge trun off for my wife. Also one optioned like a Q7 prestige will probably MSRP about $15-20k more. Not worth it to me
Old 09-25-2017, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Early last year, I drove the RR Sport AB and Q7 on several test drives. IMO, the Q7 is a superior car overall in almost every aspect, even towing ability. The only potential advantage with the RR Sport is true off-road capability with more ground clearance, the higher more commanding driving position (which my wife liked), and the supercharged V8 engine (which I liked). Otherwise, the Q7 is just plain better in almost every category. Our Q7 is now 16 months old and it's been rock solid with not a single issue apart from a recall on some 3rd row seat bracket.

I can't say the same for the Land Rover brand. I have a few friends and family with current generation full-sized RR and RR Sport models and they've all been problematic to some degree, mostly with regards to build quality issues and infotainment/electronic glitches.

I recently bought a Range Rover Velar First Edition myself and while I'm enjoying it quite a bit and it drives great, it's not without its share of teething issues. Build quality is definitely suspect, and now I got to experience it myself despite warnings from friends and family about the brand. Here's the current list of issues: 3 defective interior trim pieces that needs replacement ranging from deformed foam, broken retaining clips, a mismatched center armrest pieces where the wrong color and material armrests were used over the center console (supposed to be leather and ivory color but my car somehow got installed with almond and leatherette). These pieces are already on order and it may be weeks before they arrive. Also, the leading edge of the rubber seal on the pano roof glass is warped creating a void that lets fluid in. Not good. Also on order and will be replaced. Lastly, my Velar's fancy new high tech infotainment has already crashed 6 times in the 3 weeks I've had it. The crashes result in failure of the sound system, navigation, bluetooth, and some driver aids like park assist. Usually a shutdown and restart "reboots" the system and everything works again but there was one instance where rebooting didn't work and I had to wait several hours before restarting for things to work again. Because these issues cannot be be easily replicated at the dealer, my dealer advised me to take a video of it to show as evidence to the JLR rep in case we need to replace the entire infotainment system. Needless to say it's quite frustrating to have so many issues on a brand new $90K+ car, and very unfortunate to have this as my first experience with the brand. I do love how the Velar looks inside and out, and how it drives, but it does not bode well for any more Land Rover products to be on my shortlist of cars to buy in the future. The Q7 has just as much tech and complicated features as the Velar but has not had any issues considering it was also a first year model for me (knock on wood). The Q7 is a keeper, not so sure about the Velar or any Land Rover product at this point.

Last edited by larryV; 09-25-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My husband bought a 2017 Range Rover Sport diesel last October. I drive it every once & awhile. I think it is fun to drive. I personally really like the interior especially the color combo he picked it's a light tan/black combo. Feels open and spacious up front which I like. The things I have grown to dislike are that it sits higher than I prefer & we've had a few issues from the get go. One being the hood sensor needed replaced or repaired. Would say hood was open when it clearly was latched. Also when the hood sensor says not shut you cannot lock the doors yet it still beeps when you go to lock. Did not realize that for several weeks before we had time to get it in the shop. Glad nothing was stolen like work laptop, equipment, etc... also when we picked it up either the sensor for the diesel exhaust fluid went bad or they did not top it off before handing it over to us since it started counted down miles until no restarts on me while I was driving. I had a mini heart attack since I had no idea what that meant & was worried I would get stranded. Glad we were not out of town. Had the dealer fix it or fill it up that time but have since bought some to keep at home. So that's something you have to watch I'm assuming with all diesels? Anyways that's enough for me to say no to diesel. Just something else to worry about. Other than that it's a fun car to drive. I'm awaiting a Q7 order for myself as well.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I've driven it and the 2 are very different vehicles. The Q7 is more car-like and handles better and the Q7's in-cabin tech is much better. The Range Rover has a unique seating position which is love it or hate it and I feel like Range Rover has the perception of being more prestigious than Audi. You can't go wrong with either, but I think the Q7 is more liveable day to day.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Apparently RR's hold their value quite well
Old 09-26-2017, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We have owned many Audis and a few Land Rovers over the years. Quality in both brands has improved drastically over the last 10 years. Our 2013 LR4 has had one problem over 70K miles, a slight water pump leak. I'm sure by now the build quality on a Range Rover Sport is very good, and the SCV8 version is a rocket.

However, the new Discovery competes with the Q7 as well. I have test driven both many times and could not make a decision. They are the same size, Audi's SCV6 feels quicker and sounds better. Discovery is bigger inside, especially the third row and comes with either a full size or compact spare tire. Prestige Q7 and Discovery HSE-LUX cost the same. If your wife likes a beefier SUV, maybe this is the answer...it's what I'm waiting for:

http://media.landrover.com/news/2017...rand=landrover
Old 09-26-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Range Rover Sport has awful reliability and didn't score well in consumer Reports road tests. I have a screen shot of the ratings but their 'upgrade' on this site won't allow me to post pictures anymore.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here is my observation regarding Consumer Reports. CR appears to be a popular read among seniors, my parents and in-laws are all in their 80's and have CR subscriptions. About 10 years ago CR was in love with Lexus and every Florida senior community parking lot was filled with white and silver Lexus vehicles. When I was visiting Florida last year, I noticed that seniors had switched to Audi. So I picked up the CR car issue on their coffee table and started reading. Sure enough, CR now highly recommends Audi. I was surprised, as they typically recommend boring Toyota transportation appliances. My father in-law wants to trade in his RX 350 for a new RX 350 but doesn't like the radical styling so he's getting a Q5. I was at the local supermarket last Tuesday, which is senior discount day and saw lots of new Audis in the parking lot. As my wife commented, "Audis for Oldies".

Quick Reply: Did anyone drive the Range Rover Sport?