Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

"Splendid Ace" boat problems?

Old 10-06-2017, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default "Splendid Ace" boat problems?

I've been obsessively tracking the boat I think will be bringing my car to Jacksonville, FL. The schedule said it would be in Emden on Sep 29/30, but ended up getting there Oct 3rd.

It's still at port and for the last few days has had tug boats next to it. Yesterday morning it was swung out from the port, almost like the front wasn't moored but the back was. Then later that day it was back against the dock, but with two to three tugboats maybe holding it there.

Can anyone find out more about what's going on? I can't believe it's taken this long to load up the boat with cars.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lectoid
I've been obsessively tracking the boat I think will be bringing my car to Jacksonville, FL. The schedule said it would be in Emden on Sep 29/30, but ended up getting there Oct 3rd.

It's still at port and for the last few days has had tug boats next to it. Yesterday morning it was swung out from the port, almost like the front wasn't moored but the back was. Then later that day it was back against the dock, but with two to three tugboats maybe holding it there.

Can anyone find out more about what's going on? I can't believe it's taken this long to load up the boat with cars.

I believe my A4 should be shipping on Splendid Ace as well. It apparently missed being loaded on Viking Bravery (the previous ro/ro to pick up at the Volkswagen facility).
As it seems that my car did not make it onto Viking Bravery before it left the port of Emden, I have been tracking the next ship due to take cars from the Volkswagen facility there. That ship is the Splendid Ace. I believe the ship arrived in port on Monday or Tuesday. Based on the in-port timeline for Viking Bravery, Splendid Ace should have left Emden Wednesday or Thursday. I noticed yesterday morning when viewing its location timeline that there was a period of 30 or 40 minutes during which it was not next to the pier in Emden, but was out in the middle of the Ems River. After that period, it has been located back at the pier.
I found more information today. There was a minor hurricane that hit northern Germany Thursday morning. During the storm, Splendid Ace lost its mooring and drifted away from the pier into the middle of the river. Based on where the ship drifted, as a sailor I can imagine the drama that would have ensued with such an enormous vessel adrift in a fairly narrow seaway. It was assisted back to the pier by at least three tugboats. It remains at the pier with the three tugs right alongside. Meanwhile, the next ro/ro ship due to pick up from the Volkswagen facility (Athens Highway) appears to be steaming back and forth at low speed out in the North Sea just beyond the barrier islands that protect the mouth of the Ems River.
What is not possible to determine is whether the problem that led to Splendid Ace drifting away from the pier requires repair that will delay its departure even more than it already has been delayed. It is also not possible to tell whether the ship had already started or even completed loading vehicles before the storm hit.
What does seem clear is that my car is either on Splendid Ace, still stuck in Emden OR it is on the parking lot waiting for another vessel. In the latter case, the car was exposed to a hurricane while parked in the port.
I have linked a news story below.

[Watch] Car Carrier Breaks Away from its Mooring Due to Storm ...
Old 10-06-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I checked with AudiUSA over at Audizine and he said my car just shows as being at the port. Can't tell if it's on the boat.

I'm just gonna go to sleep for a month.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope there was no damage to cars on port. My Q7 is also supposed to be at the port by now.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

UPDATE: Splendid Ace - Type of ship: Cargo Ship - Callsign: 7JXH - vesseltracker.com

Sentence of note: The scheduled departure from Emden was postponed to Oct 8 now.

For those of us waiting for cars to Jacksonville, the COLUMBIA HIGHWAY looks to be on schedule for 10/10 arrival at Emden, and hopefully Oct 24th arrival in Jacksonville.

EDIT: This site shows SPLENDID ACE arriving in Jacksonville on Oct. 19th.

Last edited by Lectoid; 10-06-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: Splendid Ace - Type of ship: Cargo Ship - Callsign: 7JXH - vesseltracker.com

Sentence of note: The scheduled departure from Emden was postponed to Oct 8 now.

For those of us waiting for cars to Jacksonville, the COLUMBIA HIGHWAY looks to be on schedule for 10/10 arrival at Emden, and hopefully Oct 24th arrival in Jacksonville.

EDIT: This site shows SPLENDID ACE arriving in Jacksonville on Oct. 19th.
Oct. 19 is just 5 days later than the scheduled Jacksonville arrival on the Volkswagen Logistics schedule dated Sept. 15. The ship was then scheduled to leave Emden by Oct. 1. If it is leaving Emden 7 days late, it may not reach Jacksonville by the 19th.

And we can only hope that cars parked in Emden yesterday did not sustain damage from the hurricane.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

For those of us wondering, looks like the Splendid Ace just left port and is underway. Destination is showing as Davisville.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

For those of us wondering, looks like the Splendid Ace just left port and is underway. Destination is showing as Davisville.
Do you know if your Q7 is on it? If yes, how did you find out? Dealer or Audi USA?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hk007
Do you know if your Q7 is on it? If yes, how did you find out? Dealer or Audi USA?
I actually don't know just yet. My Q7 was in Emden on Sep 22nd. About eleven days later the Splendid Ace arrived.

It's wishful thinking, but now that is has left port I messaged Audi USA this morning and asked. He told me that he doesn't know if the car will be on the boat until it's on the boat.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I actually don't know just yet. My Q7 was in Emden on Sep 22nd. About eleven days later the Splendid Ace arrived.

It's wishful thinking, but now that is has left port I messaged Audi USA this morning and asked. He told me that he doesn't know if the car will be on the boat until it's on the boat.
I see. Your Q7 deserves to be on Splendid Ace since it's been sitting on port since Sept 22nd. Mine was on it's way to port on Oct 2nd. I don't have exact prod complete or at port dates. I'll bug Audi USA once Columbia Highway departs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Splendid Ace" boat problems?