Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Stop/Start stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop/Start stopped working

Got my '18 Q7 in August. S/S worked all the time. I know it annoys most of those on this forum but it doesn't bother me and any gas mileage increase is welcomed. However, the past few weeks it no longer works. The S/S button has not been disengaged. I read up on it in the manual and just can't figure out why it isn't working. I haven't been driving any differently. Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2017, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Lucky you. No clue.
The following users liked this post:
seasideclub (12-14-2019)
Old 10-07-2017, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sabca
Got my '18 Q7 in August. S/S worked all the time. I know it annoys most of those on this forum but it doesn't bother me and any gas mileage increase is welcomed. However, the past few weeks it no longer works. The S/S button has not been disengaged. I read up on it in the manual and just can't figure out why it isn't working. I haven't been driving any differently. Thoughts?
Is your A/C on? I know mine doesn't work if the A/C is running, or if the battery doesn't have a sufficicent charge to let the engine turn off.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

May check driver select
Old 10-08-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of reasons for this -

1. If the external temperature is too hot and your AC is continuously running, that may cause the S/S to disengage.
2. The S/S is active in COMFORT mode, while other modes can disengage it.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tested the A/C "theory" this morning and when I turned it off the S/S worked. I think it worked when I first got it in August was due to the fact the weather was cool. The last 3 weeks of Sept. and so far this month have been much warmer and humid thus it AC was running all the time. Mystery solved. Plus I do drive in Comfort mode. Husband has a lot of bone pain and I have to be very careful not to throw him around!
Old 10-08-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another reason could be faulty O2 Sensor. That happened to me a few months ago.
O2 Sensor fault came up, the auto start/stop stopped working.

Once the O2 sensor was replaced, it worked again.

Hope this helps.

-d
Old 10-08-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Also if you drive in "S" Sport mode, it wont work
Old 06-16-2019, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had the same issue on my '16 Q5 3.0T. When I bought the car the auto start stop system would engage fairly regularly. At around 35k miles, it only engaged if I drove the car for at least 20 - 30 minutes and even that was rare. It got very annoying as all the conditions were right for the system to engage and there were no errors indicating a malfunctioning system, just the A with the line through it.

Apparently the system functions much less frequently when the service is due on the car. I was getting annoyed with the service reminder (SRI) appearing at every startup, so I just reset it using VCDS. After doing this, to my surprise, the start stop system now engages regularly, like every single time after the 2nd or 3rd full stop. It also engages in sport mode, with the A/C turned on, though the engine starts back up after about 20 seconds to keep the A/C cold. I'm guessing the reasoning behind this is that if service is due on the vehicle, the system engages much less frequently to put less strain on an engine that needs servicing.

So if you're having issues with your start stop system, either get your car serviced (make sure your mechanic resets your system) or just reset the Service Reminder yourself using VCDS. If you chose to do this yourself, you must use VCDS. Resetting the oil change interval in the MMI doesn't solve the issue.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I’m at a thousand miles now. My start stop has only came on a few times.

Quick Reply: Stop/Start stopped working