A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Upgrading SUB

Old 10-12-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading SUB

I have had the B9 with B&O sound system for 4 months now. Often i am disappointed with the sound quality. It always lacks the punch i am looking for. So, would upgrading the SUB help? Has anyone tried or upgraded ? Your input be very helpful. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That would do it for sure. I will take a look at mine soon to decide what to do. I will try to use the existing amp. My first step would be to measure the impedance of the existing driver.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your input. It seems this guy have done it although not sure if it is for B8 or B9, https://snapguide.com/guides/audi-a4...oofer-upgrade/. Please do share your findings.

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
That would do it for sure. I will take a look at mine soon to decide what to do. I will try to use the existing amp. My first step would be to measure the impedance of the existing driver.

Last edited by jarnailh; 10-13-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jarnailh
Thanks for your input. It seems this guy have done it although not sure if it is for B8 or B9, https://snapguide.com/guides/audi-a4...oofer-upgrade/. Please do share your findings.
That's a B8 guide. Which I did and it made a huge improvement in sound for very little money.

I'm planning on swapping the B9 subwoofer at some point. Started it once, but found the D pillars don't pop out like the B8, chickened out because didn't want to bust up my car, but I now have the factory manual for removing the whole rear deck. I assume the B&O is pushing an 8ohm subwoofer like previous generations. So a dual 4ohm Kicker might be a perfect swap without additional amplification.

Edit: I'll copy the pages over from the manual if anyone wants to jump in. This is a backburner project right now. The B9 system is much better than the B8.

Last edited by Nostromo; 10-15-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nostromo
That's a B8 guide. Which I did and it made a huge improvement in sound for very little money.

I'm planning on swapping the B9 subwoofer at some point. Started it once, but found the D pillars don't pop out like the B8, chickened out because didn't want to bust up my car, but I now have the factory manual for removing the whole rear deck. I assume the B&O is pushing an 8ohm subwoofer like previous generations. So a dual 4ohm Kicker might be a perfect swap without additional amplification.

Edit: I'll copy the pages over from the manual if anyone wants to jump in. This is a backburner project right now. The B9 system is much better than the B8.
Please do copy the manual when you get a chance. I will jump on it in the next coming months.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here ya go. It's pretty simple - looks like you need to pry the D pillar *from the top* and it'll just pop out. Rear shelf is just like the B8.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is a lot of work. Why not stick a sub box into the trunk and not mess with the rear deck?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Are you sure it is the audio system? a sub?

First question to you, what you listening?
You an audiophile you shall know the next:
bluetooth? nah...
Online streaming? Spotify, google musik and those kind of things? May be a pure junk beside they claim hundreds of bits recording........... if there is no dynamics in the recording (inside in the math of the recording). Do not look in sampling rate, hear it!
At the same spotify in example I found Robert Palmer (in example) sounding like a rusted pail and the other brass band want to nock out my sub through the trunk door.......
you connected your phone to the car via usb? does your phone have a built in equalizer? or pre-amp or DAC maybe?
Have you tried CD's, SACD, or maybe audio DVD? Is any better?
On my home system still lacking dynamics compared to old vinyl...
You want to change B&O speakers? sorry man, I would explore other options first...B&O is a legend.
Try connecting that cellphone to a better Stereo or surround first - at home or visit a friend or some studio - and see how it sounds, the same songs you complain for B&O
this what I would do first and go from there

Last edited by bigHUN; 10-16-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We have Audis so they can read music off SD card. Reading off USB does not use a DAC in the phone. Vinyl is not more dynamic than digital. SACD and DVD audio does not sound better than CD anywhere, but especially in a car. Bluetooth is not good. XM is terrible.

The bass in the car is marginal, so the sub is the best single thing to upgrade.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I need to open the perspective a little bit

Happened through years, my house friends know I am kind of a Pink Floyd fan,
so for birthdays....I got one vinyl, one DVD, one SACD, a same album...
When I got my B9, of course I want to listen my favorite music wherever I go.
From a cell phone, LG G3 connected with a usb...it was terible sound.
I got home, and started switching my amp (2.5K Marantz surround amp with 5K Dynaudio speakers) between a turntable, DVD, SACD, some torrent download to HD, a droid streaming box running both Spotify and google music and my cellphone...
guess what?
my LG G3 (at first time a pretty decent phone with a pretty decent camera) sounded like a piece of junk....
even my droid streaming box have a pre-amp and the same spotify song was kind of acceptable
For first step you try some DAC or a portable headphone pre-amp, cheaper and your audi speakers may give you a sound you can accept...
Option #2
Switch to a phone with built in equalizer (hardware and not app).

Last edited by bigHUN; 10-16-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading SUB