A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Google Earth nav overlay not working

Old 10-14-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Google Earth nav overlay not working

Is anyone else having issues with the Google Earth navigation overlay? It was working fine yesterday on the way home from work. I stopped at my son's school for an event and when I came out and started the car, I got a message that Google Earth is restarting and it hasn't re-connected since. Audi Connect works fine, so it's not an internet connection problem, it seems the issue is on Google's end as the "Google" indidcator on the MMI screen does not fully light up.

I remember reading several months ago that there was a possibility that the Google Earth capability could go away at the end of this year, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it recently. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too, it stopped working last night in LA and it's still not loading.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Known issue. They are upgrading the services for the older vehicles. They are hoping to be done with it on Monday according to Audi connect support.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

MIne is out too. Hope it's fixed by monday.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Picked up my SQ5 today, and the Audi guy could not get the GPS to work in general. Kept getting error messages about the Audi Connect server not being available. Makes me wonder who will actually 'pay' for the service if they have a phone the already has GPS and navigation. Not to mention what looks like an outrageous price for it... ($500 for 18 months)

Looks like I, for one, will be sticking with Googe Maps or the iOS Maps navigation and not renewing the Audi option.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomb01
Picked up my SQ5 today, and the Audi guy could not get the GPS to work in general. Kept getting error messages about the Audi Connect server not being available. Makes me wonder who will actually 'pay' for the service if they have a phone the already has GPS and navigation. Not to mention what looks like an outrageous price for it... ($500 for 18 months)

Looks like I, for one, will be sticking with Googe Maps or the iOS Maps navigation and not renewing the Audi option.
The standard Nav maps are not related to Audi Connect and should work without a subscription. The Google Earth overlay being discussed in this thread does require Audi Connect.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Good to know!

I have been going crazy, rebooting the MMI, turning off/on "Standard vs. Google Earth" display, etc...Everything else works, Traffic, Weather, in-car Wifi, etc..so I know it isn't a connection issue. Thanks for letting us know! Much appreciated!
Old 10-15-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brian5s
I have been going crazy, rebooting the MMI, turning off/on "Standard vs. Google Earth" display, etc...Everything else works, Traffic, Weather, in-car Wifi, etc..so I know it isn't a connection issue. Thanks for letting us know! Much appreciated!
I probably would have done the same thing. I appreciate the heads up.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Same issue here. Google must have updated and broken something. It starts to load and then crashes. I get a loading screen that never goes away.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went out in mine yesterday, the MMI said "Google Earth is restarting" to you wish to continue with standard view.

Just a case of watching and waiting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Google Earth nav overlay not working