Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Winter Wheel Sets

Old 10-15-2017, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Winter Wheel Sets

I will pickup my 2018 Q5 this coming weekend. The vehicle comes with the 20 inch all season tires.

However, the winter is coming very soon and I need to purchase the a set of winter wheel sets after I pickup the vehicle.

Regarding the wheels, what will be the correct hub centric size and wheel specs. and offset for the 2018 Q5? I need to pay extra for the TPMS as well for the winter wheels.

I am new to Audi and I do not have much information about the wheel specs. such as torque for wheel bolts and etc.

I see in the Audi website, they recommend to use the 17 inch winter wheel sets for the Q5. To me, the 17 inch wheels look weird to a mid-size SUV.

I am thinking about using the 18 inch winter set. is anyone here also purchase the 18 inch wheel sets and already installed on the Q5?

Can you post some pictures and let me see how they look like?

Regarding the winter tires, I am thinking using the Continental tires (have not decided which model, I think they have 2 models to choose from the tirerack website).

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good news! You don’t have to pay for TPMS as there are no sensors. The tire pressure is calculated based on rotation or something. Personally I recommend only going down one size in wheel diameter and sticking with OEM tire sizes but you’ll hear the snow freaks say 17s and 215 wide because mother Russia and stuff.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bad news . I am from Canada, I double checked the specs., the wheels came with TPMS. I wish the air pressure calculated based on the wheels rotation.

​If I downsize to 19 inch winter tires, the price are very expensive and the tire choices are very limited.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

You have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System but it does not use in-wheel sensors, Audi abandoned that system a long time ago.. even in Canada.. open your wheels up and you'll find no sensors contained within but it still knows if you get a flat.

18's should provide a wide selection of affordable snow rated tires.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Build and Price > 2018 Q5 > Audi Canada

This is what it said in their website.

i will double check with the dealership next week. If there is none, I will save a lot.

Last edited by Mazinger; 10-15-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18’s and 20’s here

Originally Posted by Mazinger
I will pickup my 2018 Q5 this coming weekend. The vehicle comes with the 20 inch all season tires.

However, the winter is coming very soon and I need to purchase the a set of winter wheel sets after I pickup the vehicle.

Regarding the wheels, what will be the correct hub centric size and wheel specs. and offset for the 2018 Q5? I need to pay extra for the TPMS as well for the winter wheels.

I am new to Audi and I do not have much information about the wheel specs. such as torque for wheel bolts and etc.

I see in the Audi website, they recommend to use the 17 inch winter wheel sets for the Q5. To me, the 17 inch wheels look weird to a mid-size SUV.

I am thinking about using the 18 inch winter set. is anyone here also purchase the 18 inch wheel sets and already installed on the Q5?

Regarding the winter tires, I am thinking using the Continental tires (have not decided which model, I think they have 2 models to choose from the tirerack website).

Thanks.
First I want to say that my families health and safety are the most Important concern.

I have two options I have chosen. My 2010 Lexus RX450 has dedicated 18 inch alloy wheels/Blizzak winter from Discount tire. (using last years Labor Day $320 discount/rebates, great opportunity but you have to be fast because they run out fast). There is a little sway but the traction is well worth it. The ride is easy and smooth. Winter tires have softer/ playable rubber for the cold. I get the same gas mileage with the Blizzaks as I get on the dedicated summer 19 Michelin LTX.
The Q5 Audi I have, I have decided to replace the 20 inch ’CONTIS’ with Perelli Scorpion winters fromTireRack on the original 20 wheels. I am a little concerned of the traction with the wide foot print, more plowing, less weight per ground contact, etc... but I am looking at running these all year. They are in storage now and will be put on in December. Reviews were very good and several thought that this tire could be driven all year long. The tread pattern has slightly wider groves but not as wide as the Blizzaks. Time will tell and I’ll do a follow up in about three months.
P.s. I agree with smaller wheels for winter... laws of physics... more weight/pressure per sq inch and less plowing in the snow. You have to decide what looks good on your vehicle.
My theory is... it is better to spend $1200 - $1500 now on a dedicated winter set then to have an accident and spend $500 to $1000 deductible, with down time on the car....Also if your car is in an accident, CarFax will know and the trade in will knock another $1000 of the trade in value.

Last edited by LexusDefector; 10-16-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusDefector
First I want to say that my families health and safety are the most Important concern.

I have two options I have chosen. My 2010 Lexus RX450 has dedicated 18 inch alloy wheels/Blizzak winter from Discount tire. (using last years Labor Day $320 discount/rebates, great opportunity but you have to be fast because they run out fast). There is a little sway but the traction is well worth it. The ride is easy and smooth. Winter tires have softer/ playable rubber for the cold. I get the same gas mileage with the Blizzaks as I get on the dedicated summer 19 Michelin LTX.
The Q5 Audi I have, I have decided to replace the 20 inch ’CONTIS’ with Perelli Scorpion winters fromTireRack on the original 20 wheels. I am a little concerned of the traction with the wide foot print, more plowing, less weight per ground contact, etc... but I am looking at running these all year. They are in storage now and will be put on in December. Reviews were very good and several thought that this tire could be driven all year long. The tread pattern has slightly wider groves but not as wide as the Blizzaks. Time will tell and I’ll do a follow up in about three months.
P.s. I agree with smaller wheels for winter... laws of physics... more weight/pressure per sq inch and less plowing in the snow. You have to decide what looks good on your vehicle.
My theory is... it is better to spend $1200 - $1500 now on a dedicated winter set then to have an accident and spend $500 to $1000 deductible, with down time on the car....Also if your car is in an accident, CarFax will know and the trade in will knock another $1000 of the trade in value.
Unless you live in an area where the summer time temps don't go above 45 degrees F, I would not run winter tires during the warmer months. Winter tires are designed with a softer rubber compound that stays pliable in colder temperatures for better traction, but that soft rubber quickly wears when the temperature is warmer. If you run winter tires year round, you will be fine the first winter, and the tires will drive fine during the summer, but will wear quickly, and most likely your tires will not work well the following winter, as winter tires are only good in snow I believe, for the first half of their tread (please correct me if I'm wrong here). Now if you're in an area that doesn't encounter much snow, you could probably get away with it for a couple winter seasons, but it's best not to run winter tires in warm weather.

BTW, running a smaller rim/wheel sized winter tire doesn't make much of a difference in deep snow if the width of the tire is the same, it's running a narrower tire with the same tire diameter that helps in those instances with the physics advantage.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

If you want to ride snow *rated* tires all year, then you install All Terrain/Mudders.. My BFG KO2s are severe snow rated, and made of a compound that works all year long.. Good luck finding anything for 20's tho, they dont make All Terrains w/rubber band sidewalls.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.
I am going with 17" rims for my new Q5 with the 19" OEM wheels, but not from the dealer. I am getting the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires they offer, in the 235/65 slightly taller sidewall to offset the drop in diameter, but saving a lot through a local tire shop. The Pirellis are considered more of a performance winter tire as opposed to a snow tire like Blizzaks, but I really don't do a lot of deep snow driving and my commute is mostly dry or slushy roads. Personally, I would look at Blizzak, Scorpion Winter or Michelin X-Ice and try 18" to replace your 20" wheels. There are some good deals on winter tires now but don't wait too long.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad news . I am from Canada, I double checked the specs., the wheels came with TPMS. I wish the air pressure calculated based on the wheels rotation.

​If I downsize to 19 inch winter tires, the price are very expensive and the tire choices are very limited.
Ok so I'm confused does my Canadian 2018 SQ5 have TPMS or not ?? I got a quote from 1010tires that included TPMS ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter Wheel Sets