Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

My A5 finally arrived! and a DAP question

Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My A5 finally arrived! and a DAP question

I ordered my A5 back on July 7th and it finally arrived in Oregon this past weekend. I took the train down from Seattle to pick it up (highly recommended if you've never done it before).

I already have a C6 Corvette as my fun/race car so I didn't see the extra power of the S5 as important. Plus I wanted the DSG transmission. I prioritized comfort over performance, so I went for a Manhattan Gray over black Prestige with most of the options except the sport package. It has DAP, warm weather, cold weather, comfort adaptive suspension, gray inlays, and the 19" Design wheels

Had a nice drive back from Portland yesterday and got to try out some of the features. One question though, I was trying the traffic jam assist while I worked my way out of Portland. It seemed like it wanted me to heavily rest my hand on the steering wheel otherwise it would bong at me and tell me to take over steering, even though it didn't seem to lose it's position in the lane. Is that how it's supposed to work, or in a traffic jam am I supposed to be able to be completely hands off as long as it is tracking the lane/cars?

A quick picture from before I left Portland
Old 10-16-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My hands can be pretty light on the wheel and I don't have a problem. I think any slight movement/adjustment to the wheel will register.

If the car doesn't detect any movement from your hands after about 15-20 seconds, it will yell at you.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperiorAdhesives
I ordered my A5 back on July 7th and it finally arrived in Oregon this past weekend. I took the train down from Seattle to pick it up (highly recommended if you've never done it before).

I already have a C6 Corvette as my fun/race car so I didn't see the extra power of the S5 as important. Plus I wanted the DSG transmission. I prioritized comfort over performance, so I went for a Manhattan Gray over black Prestige with most of the options except the sport package. It has DAP, warm weather, cold weather, comfort adaptive suspension, gray inlays, and the 19" Design wheels

Had a nice drive back from Portland yesterday and got to try out some of the features. One question though, I was trying the traffic jam assist while I worked my way out of Portland. It seemed like it wanted me to heavily rest my hand on the steering wheel otherwise it would bong at me and tell me to take over steering, even though it didn't seem to lose it's position in the lane. Is that how it's supposed to work, or in a traffic jam am I supposed to be able to be completely hands off as long as it is tracking the lane/cars?

A quick picture from before I left Portland
You definitely don't need a "weighted hand" on the wheel, but I think the sensors look for movement (tiny albeit) within a time period. As the post above suggested, I think small wheel movements periodically prevent the alarm.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty light on the wheel here too. Oddly light for what I was expecting.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Like the others have said it is not the weight, but the slight movement of the steering wheel every 10 seconds or so. Traffic assist is only active up to 40 mph and then it switches to adaptive cruise control.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick light wiggle of the wheel every 10 seconds or so and you'll avoid that annoying warning!