Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Water Woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water Woes

Had a new windshield put in last January after getting a substantial rock chip that blossomed into a large crack......since then I've occasionally found water in the footwell.....not sure if it's from the windshield installor something else/ I ran a long piece of trimmer string down both sides of the sunroof drains but didn't encounter any obstructions - though I don't know for sure where they empty out of the car. I also pulled the battery and tray out and did find the drain blocked with leaf debris, but I cleaned it out and I'm still getting water inside. The usual place ss the passenger footwell at the outside edge. However today a new leak seems to have developed as my wife said the driver's seatbelt felt wet. We have not seen water in the footwells on the left side at all - it's been dry there all along.

To add to the misery, I seem to have an electrical drain that flattens the battery in about 3 days......can't find that either. She says she's seen the volt gauge drop down to 12 while driving, I have not seen that ever but she drives it more than me....that points to a bad alternator?

Where are the rear sunroof drains, and where do they empty (assuming they have them)?
Old 10-16-2017, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the seal under the cabin air filter. Mine was rotted out and I got water in the passenger side footwell. You need to remove the plastic frame and the seal is between the plastic and cowl.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Cool, I will check that......any ideas how the left front seatbelt got wet? No the window wasn't left open! :-)
Old 10-16-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Also check the sunroof drains. very common for the drain tubes to clog causing water to drip to the floor. Been there, done that.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the drainage under the battery tray is another problem spot
Old 10-17-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Both those answered in my first post......I have had the drain under the battery clog before, and I got tired of taking the cross bar out so I could get the battery tray out, so I bored a 2" hole in the tray right above the drain, that way all I have to do is lift out the heavy as hell battery and stick my shop vac nozzle down thru the hole to clean it out now. However, after clearing the drain I still got water in the front footwell, I will check the seal for the cabin filter next.

I ran long pieces of trimmer string in thru the sunroof drain holes at the front of the sunroof opening, I could not see any holes to the rear, are there drains to the rear? and if so where are they? someone post a pic of them if you can so I can find them if there are any......
Old 10-17-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by allroaddave
Both those answered in my first post......I have had the drain under the battery clog before, and I got tired of taking the cross bar out so I could get the battery tray out, so I bored a 2" hole in the tray right above the drain, that way all I have to do is lift out the heavy as hell battery and stick my shop vac nozzle down thru the hole to clean it out now. However, after clearing the drain I still got water in the front footwell, I will check the seal for the cabin filter next.

I ran long pieces of trimmer string in thru the sunroof drain holes at the front of the sunroof opening, I could not see any holes to the rear, are there drains to the rear? and if so where are they? someone post a pic of them if you can so I can find them if there are any......
I believe the sunroof drain output is located in the bottom of the rear doors.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

S0, the resolution. The plastic shield under the windshield wasn't replaced correctly when they replaced my windshield, plus the drains for the condenser were partially clogged. Putting the shield in correctly and clearing the drains seems to have fixed it.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good to know - So from your experience, where do I find the drains for the condenser and what was the best way to check if they are clear?
Doing a bit of maintenance checking based on your thread....
thanks
Old 04-09-2019, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry for not replying sooner, I'm not on here often. My leak has not gone away, I just keep a towel in the front to absorb the water when it rains and the car stands outside. Not a proper solution but no one (including me) can seem to find where it's coming in at......

Quick Reply: Water Woes