Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Audi extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi extended warranty

I was quoted $2850 for an extended warranty that pushes the envelope to 6 years/100000 miles with a $250 deductible PER VISIT. I think that’s pretty pricy given the deductible. Has anyone been able to get a better deal through Audi? If I could get the deductible waved, I think that would be a good deal. We will most assuredly hit the mileage limit before the six years run out. Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I paid $3k for a 4yr/100k with $0 deductible if that helps.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
I paid $3k for a 4yr/100k with $0 deductible if that helps.
Yes. Thank you. Is that 4 years in addition to the factory 4 year time period? So basically for $3000, you have an 8yr/100000 bumper to bumper Audi warranty. Correct?
Old 10-17-2017, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pchansen
Yes. Thank you. Is that 4 years in addition to the factory 4 year time period? So basically for $3000, you have an 8yr/100000 bumper to bumper Audi warranty. Correct?
No, I believe it overrides the factory one and is a straight 4yr/100k warranty from Audi. I didn't want the 6-10yr one because I drive alot and they would be useless. It's bumper to bumper from what I was told and the contract.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
No, I believe it overrides the factory one and is a straight 4yr/100k warranty from Audi. I didn't want the 6-10yr one because I drive alot and they would be useless. It's bumper to bumper from what I was told and the contract.
Pretty impressive mileage over 4 years.

It it will make me a while to get there... my office is 6 miles from my house .
Old 10-17-2017, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Was your quote for Audi Pure Protection? which level? I was quoted with $3990 for 7 year / 100K miles. It is going through Dealer Owned Warranty Company (https://www.dealerowned.com/). Anyone heard about this company?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my two cents and this is very subjective and a personal choice. If you really want extra insurance then by all means get the Extended Warranty. Having owned a couple and about to trade up, I have never opted for the extended warranty (extra insurance). However, I have gotten Audi Care for each one which I do recommend. This again is subjective and is very different than the extended warranty which just overrides your existing factory warranty.

From my understanding the whole time you are under factory warranty the extended warranty is pretty much meaningless. So you paid for something you won't use. Then by chance you go out of your normal warranty and are in the extended timeframe. Your dealer would still need to go seek approval if something did go wrong with your vehicle to see if it were covered. If so and its under (extended) warranty which only covers certain things then you got lucky. Oh by the way, I should have mentioned, not only does Audi have to agree its covered, but so does that third party vendor 'Dealer Owned Warranty Company'. Lastly, any diagnostic fees will not be covered.

It's truly a gamble and honestly not worth it in my humble opinion. However, if getting the coverage gives you extra piece of mind then spend the extra $$$. PM me and I can give you a PO Box to send a commission fee to me as well while you are at it!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good reply, Cakasky.
I too am very leery of spending any extra cash at this point. And given that the offer had a $250 deductible and that it’s not a “no questions asked” warranty like the factory warranty (yes, I know the factory warranty isn’t like that either but I’ve had very good luck with my local Audi dealership with my previous two cars) I am declining the extended warranty at this point in time. I can aways purchase extra protection later. This will give me a chance to get a good feel for the car.
As far as AudiCare goes, it seems to me that these are glorified oil changes. I have always done my own changes and as such, I have tentatively declined AudiCare. Am I missing something?

Last edited by pchansen; 10-18-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good reply, Cakasky.
I too am very leery of spending any extra cash at this point. And given that the offer had a $250 deductible and that it’s not a “no questions asked” warranty like the factory warranty (yes, I know the factory warranty isn’t like that either but I’ve had very good luck with my local Audi dealership with my previous two cars) I am declining the extended warranty at this point in time. I can aways purchase extra protection later. This will give me a chance to get a good feel for the car.
As far as AudiCare goes, it seems to me that these are glorified oil changes. I have always done my own changes and as such, I have tentatively declined AudiCare. Am I missing something?
Nope, you are spot on. I don't do my own oil changes, so for me AudiCare is a convenience/cost savings thing.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was quoted $2850 for an extended warranty that pushes the envelope to 6 years/100000 miles with a $250 deductible PER VISIT. I think that’s pretty pricy given the deductible. Has anyone been able to get a better deal through Audi? If I could get the deductible waved, I think that would be a good deal. We will most assuredly hit the mileage limit before the six years run out. Thoughts?
A though to keep in mind; Audi is financially sophisticated, and they will price the extended warranty program to be a money-maker for them in aggregate. They will consider the cost of repairs, the use of your money for a few years until the extended warranty kicks in past the original warranty expires, and the commissions they pay the dealer. They will be making money on the deal, on average over all teh cars they sell. If you buy the extended warranty, you are betting that your car will be more expensive to repair than other 2018 Q5s, on average. Also, you should factor in the small chance that you be without the vehicle before the extended warranty expires through theft, sale, or crash.

For me, i would not buy the extended warranty at initial purchase, but I might consider it when the original warranty is about to expire and if I'm having symptoms of major problems like excessive oil burning or a funky transmission, etc...

Quick Reply: Audi extended warranty