Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

New SQ5 Loving it but center console needs help !

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SQ5 Loving it but center console needs help !

Guys

I have had SQ5's in the past years and went to a Macan GTS for 2017. I really liked the Macan GTS but when I saw the tech on the new SQ5 I grabbed a Prestige SQ5 last week and traded in the Macan GTS.

My gripes so far are mainly the cup holders. They are horrid on the SQ5 and the Sliding tray is a nuisance and is driving me nuts. I think if I removed the tray I will feel less cluttered at the cup holder area and be back to a normal center console depth. The Sliding tray is horrible and makes no sense, I can't believe this made it through the design phases. They spent god only knows how much money on the new MMI and Screens and new AC controls are amazing but totally blew the center console.

How about the fact they got rid of the cigarette lighter plug in the center console ? They think you can use USB for everything and as you guys know charging your phone with USB is slow and if you use a Belkin 2.4W Lighter plug it charges your phone 2-3 times faster.

I tried today at the dealer with my sales guy on the floor model Q5 to remove the tray and we couldn't get it out. Probably would have broke it if we pulled it more. There must be a release for it but we can't figure it out ? Anyone have any idea how to remove it ? I think if we can get the Slider out it would be a much more usable space.

Other than that loving it so far

Thanks
craig
Old 10-18-2017, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by theatermax
Guys

I have had SQ5's in the past years and went to a Macan GTS for 2017. I really liked the Macan GTS but when I saw the tech on the new SQ5 I grabbed a Prestige SQ5 last week and traded in the Macan GTS.

My gripes so far are mainly the cup holders. They are horrid on the SQ5 and the Sliding tray is a nuisance and is driving me nuts. I think if I removed the tray I will feel less cluttered at the cup holder area and be back to a normal center console depth. The Sliding tray is horrible and makes no sense, I can't believe this made it through the design phases. They spent god only knows how much money on the new MMI and Screens and new AC controls are amazing but totally blew the center console.

How about the fact they got rid of the cigarette lighter plug in the center console ? They think you can use USB for everything and as you guys know charging your phone with USB is slow and if you use a Belkin 2.4W Lighter plug it charges your phone 2-3 times faster.

I tried today at the dealer with my sales guy on the floor model Q5 to remove the tray and we couldn't get it out. Probably would have broke it if we pulled it more. There must be a release for it but we can't figure it out ? Anyone have any idea how to remove it ? I think if we can get the Slider out it would be a much more usable space.

Other than that loving it so far

Thanks
craig
That’s interesting that you make that trade so quickly from the Porsche. The sliding tray hasnt bothered me, haven’t thought too much about it. If I’m not using the cup holders, the sliding tray is a shallow shelf to put stuff, if I’m using the cup holders just slide it out of way, why are you so bothered? More importantly, how do you compare the ride of the sq versus the Porsche, suspension, handling, engine, tranny? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:47 PM
FPF
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Let’s stick to the center console issue. You aren’t alone. That sliding tray bothers me too. I tried to take it out too but I haven’t figured out how yet without breaking something. In my opinion the real issue is that it doesn’t slide back far enough and therefore doesn’t clear the cup holders. If it slid 1” further back it would be a lot better.

A minor issue for a great car. Maybe some one will figure out how to remove it.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Name me a German car with GOOD cup holders? VW? No. Porsche, Ha. I've actually only used mine once in the 911, and that was to hold my iPhone 6 Plus. Actually it worked remarkably good for that. Audi? No again. I guess it's never bothered me since I'm way OCD and ban all but bottles of water on the road.

Now, let me get this straight. You unloaded a Macan GTS for an Audi SQ5? Powerful V6, check. Great suspension, brakes, and handling. check. Safety systems and Apple Car play for the Mrs. to make her happy, check check. Granted, the interior is a bit dated as compared to the Audi, but wow, I'm still not getting my head around that move. FWIW, I'm not hating on your decision, just the need to change things up is often reason enough, but I guess what surprises me is given the short amount of time you were in the Porsche, the fact you didn't really enjoy the car enough to stay with it as most Porsche owners stick hard to the brand once they are in it.

Last edited by daberlin; 10-18-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey some people can burn $10k and it's no biggie, and then there's the rest of us.

I agree the slidey thing is a bit strange and I would add that the cupholders are a little too deep for my 12 oz lattes with lids. Surprisingly though I'm not sure I have any other current complaints about the interior.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I generally think the center console and vent layout of the new B9 A/S 4/5 look and work better than the Q5 interior. I don't understand what happened there.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The center console including the cupholders, tray, storage areas and trackpad are definitely a miss. Generally not a big deal for me and I don't think about it much since I don't need a ton of storage.
But I would think it's something they should look to improve in future model years.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Still waiting to hear from Theatermax about his trade into the sq out of the Porsche. I could agree that the center consol could have been designed better. Don’t know that I need the writing pad. Not a big deal to me, like the interior, the MMI technology works well and the car performs well enough, notwithstanding the occasional throttle lag I experience now and then. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a GTS to a SQ5? I mean, I get loving the Audi tech, but the GTS is clearly the driver's car. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose

I kept my Macan Turbo and my jury is still out if I like all of the tech on the SQ5. I'd rather have a great driving experience than mashing a ton of buttons.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by benjaminnicholas
From a GTS to a SQ5? I mean, I get loving the Audi tech, but the GTS is clearly the driver's car. Whatever floats your boat, I suppose

I kept my Macan Turbo and my jury is still out if I like all of the tech on the SQ5. I'd rather have a great driving experience than mashing a ton of buttons.
I think the interior and technology in the sq5 is great, has a great suspension and smooth drivetrain. I preferred it overall to the Macan S. I didn’t drive the Macan turbo, although I had the chance to buy a new loaded 2017 at 15-20% off, but it didn’t have the performance package which made it still seem overpriced versus the loaded sq5 Prestige, just didn’t gain enough performance imo. My only issue with the sq5 at this point is a small throttle delay, the cause of which I’m uncertain, turbo lag, tranny programming? Could be I just need more time to learn how to control things better. Overall, the sq is a very nice package. If I already owned the Macan S, I doubt I would have kicked it for the Audi, however, maybe if it were an RS. Thanks. Regards. Ned.

Quick Reply: New SQ5 Loving it but center console needs help !