Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Standard Sound System is Bad; How To Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Standard Sound System is Bad; How To Upgrade?

Per Audi's website, the "Audi sound system has ten speakers, 180 watts", the bass is so bad. Are there any subwoofers? I would like to replace mine.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Humble Bear
Per Audi's website, the "Audi sound system has ten speakers, 180 watts", the bass is so bad. Are there any subwoofers? I would like to replace mine.
If the car is brand new, I would give the system some break-in time. The electronics will sound better over time and the speaker drivers will loosen up. At that point play around with bass and treble controls. If that fails, any good car stereo shop, which I might add are hard to find, can take the speaker leads off the current subwoofer and go line into an additional amplifier to drive a better sub. That would be your best route. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:04 AM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Humble Bear
While I do not care much about the bass (the car will be driven mostly by my wife, an she is allergic to bass ), but out of curiosity, what is wrong with it?
PS. I also ordered the Convenience package only and more concerned about the standard seats. How are they to you after driving in them for awhile?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by U-2
While I do not care much about the bass (the car will be driven mostly by my wife, an she is allergic to bass ), but out of curiosity, what is wrong with it?
PS. I also ordered the Convenience package only and more concerned about the standard seats. How are they to you after driving in them for awhile?
The base stereo sound quality is simply poor not what I expect from Audi. Yes, I did play around with the bass, treble and fader. I have the bass at max now and treble maybe 70% and fader slightly towards the rear as the rear sounds better. I do wish there is a midrange adjustment though.

I ordered the standard seats without the seat warmer and they are excellent, softer than the heated ones maybe by 25% stiffness which is perfect for long drive. Did you get the heated seats?

Last edited by Humble Bear; 10-20-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:12 PM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

No, not much need for them in CA. I ordered Premium florett silver with standard black interior + convenience.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by U-2
No, not much need for them in CA. I ordered Premium florett silver with standard black interior + convenience.
Me too, the only two options I paid was the Utopia Blue ($575) & Convenience Package ($900) which includes the smart key, remote control windows, hand free tailgate operation, auto folding exterior mirrors, memory seat, heated mirrors & etc.

I think the standard equipment is pretty impressive: leather seats with lumbar adj; Audi drive select, paddle shifters, rear camera, power tailgate, DSG, 18" alloys with Michelin Tires, Android & i-phone connect, alarm, 3 zone, auto climate control...etc.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given how much you will spend to upgrade the sound system, the extra $500 for factory B&O is a better deal. The B&O system is far far superior to Audi's stock flat system.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:53 PM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

B&O is not among Premium trim options.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
If the car is brand new, I would give the system some break-in time. The electronics will sound better over time and the speaker drivers will loosen up. At that point play around with bass and treble controls. If that fails, any good car stereo shop, which I might add are hard to find, can take the speaker leads off the current subwoofer and go line into an additional amplifier to drive a better sub. That would be your best route. Regards. Ned.
That's just silly, electronics don't need break-in time unless you are talking about highend Tube Amps and speakers don't "lossen up" unless they are about to bust off the voicecoil or spider....
Old 10-23-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
That's just silly, electronics don't need break-in time unless you are talking about highend Tube Amps and speakers don't "lossen up" unless they are about to bust off the voicecoil or spider....
I wasn’t born yesterday. Ive been into audio equipment for almost 50 years, installed countless after market high end stereos in various vehicles, built speakers, owned countless amounts of electronics. Yes, speaker drivers do mechanically break in and change in character over time as the cone surrounds loosen up. And yes, electronics do break in as well, often sound hard and bright, can open up with some playing time. Regards. Ned.
The following users liked this post:
BigCheezie (03-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Standard Sound System is Bad; How To Upgrade?