Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

About to Guinea Pig the Gecko Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default About to Guinea Pig the Gecko Coilovers

So, my Audi has been paid off for 3 years, I've had it for 5 and am going to keep it for 2 more years. Being a 2007 there is very little value left in it. Just to keep my interest in it until I get rid of it I have been having some fun with it. I have blacked out all of the trim, got some 22" black wheels, spacers, customer exhaust, and a ton of motor work. So the last thing I want to do is lower it a bit. I have done enough research that I know coils only are not a good option. However my BMW, Mustang, and all my sport cars rocked H&R springs only and drove like a dream. I've read too much with these heavy SUV's that they just don't ride well with coilsprings only. So, that leaves me with coil overs. I am not going to drop $3,000+ just to lower this thing 1 - 2 inches max and sell it in 2 years. This thing will never see a track or anything outside the interstate. I was looking at the BC Racing which seem reasonable at $1,245 but I found the Gecko CoilOver from overseas for $850 shipped, no sales tax. That is crazy cheap. First thing I thought, man these must be junk. Well I have spent the last 2 weeks researching them and their company. They have been well received in other country's and are performing well. They are pretty new to the US market. They have answered all of my questions and are very helpful. They said I would have no problem having a comfortable ride with the minimal drop I am looking for. 1 inch up front, and 2 in the back. So it sits level. Since I have read nothing on here about them, I am willing to give them a shot. For what I am using them for, I am sure they will be just fine. Now for a track system, or for a high performance sports car, who knows. They assured me they have been making after market OEM parts for years, and that the spring rates, and shocks have been designed for our 5,000 lb. SUV's. Now, if anyone has already used these, and had horrible results I am willing to hear. But, if you want to just say their crap because they are cheap and not well known, well that is not a good argument. I was told with my M3 putting coils only on stock struts was dumb, and they were perfect and rode better than stock. So, some people just want to spend money, like name brand jeans will get you more *** kind of thing. Anyway, it will be probably a month from now so I will update. I will also give honest feedback.

Last edited by JoeIndy35; 03-01-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I need every inch of the standard height when I go to the Sierras... Why would you want to lower the car? It's an SUV?
Cheers,
Louis
Old 11-09-2017, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious to see how these work out for you as I am not enjoying the sline coil springs suspension on my 2012 TDI.

There are a few other brands out there that are for similar money and get good reviews also but hope to get your opinion on the Geckos before making a decision on how to proceed.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I need every inch of the standard height when I go to the Sierras... Why would you want to lower the car? It's an SUV?
Cheers,
Louis
For me, purely for looks. My Q7 has never seen the off road, or track, and never will. I'd buy a Jeep if I was an off road guy, or a sports car if I was a track guy. Q7 is a heavy luxury suv for families IMO that has a great look. I have the 4.2 L so it's got some good pick up and go. I am liking the aggressive look people are getting with a lowered stance and 22" wheels. It may be after Christmas until I get into all this due to Holiday spending.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2012Q7204
Curious to see how these work out for you as I am not enjoying the sline coil springs suspension on my 2012 TDI.

There are a few other brands out there that are for similar money and get good reviews also but hope to get your opinion on the Geckos before making a decision on how to proceed.
Ive not found any other than the BC Racing.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

well, I just pulled the trigger. Black Friday sale on their website got them ordered for a tad over $700. That is worth a go. I can take out my stock springs and struts still as they are, and run these. If I want to go back I will have them. No brainer as they are ready to install. I will have to adjust the height but what ever, I will get them where I want and leave them
Old 12-04-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let us know how they look when you get them. I may be interested in getting a set.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

They are getting delivered today! I found a local speed shop who will do the install. Probably be after the holidays. Plus the Audi needs a few repairs first. I think my power brake module is going bad..
Old 03-01-2018, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, just had the rear installed! This is the factory set height! Ha, I will of course be raising it up an inch or 2 from here. So far so good! Great quality
Old 03-01-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks great! Please share pics of the from as well when your done!

Quick Reply: About to Guinea Pig the Gecko Coilovers