Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Renew Audi Plus or Prime or ???

Old 11-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renew Audi Plus or Prime or ???

My six month trial with Audi Prime + Plus ends this coming week. Aside from the fact that I can't figure out what they're really offering, do I need it? I use Google Maps and navigation a lot. but I'm not sure what else it provides for me. The data plan I have on my iPhone with AT&T has an unlimited plan, and I do use Apple Play in the car.

Do I need it? How much of It do I need? What exactly is it doing for me? According to the MyConnect web site, I've used about 14gig in the past 30 days.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2017, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can’t answer to everything but the main thing I remember is you lose Google Maps Satellite View. But to me it’s not that big of a deal. I am wondering if they make discount offers if you let it expire.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Reuben
My six month trial with Audi Prime + Plus ends this coming week. Aside from the fact that I can't figure out what they're really offering, do I need it? I use Google Maps and navigation a lot. but I'm not sure what else it provides for me. The data plan I have on my iPhone with AT&T has an unlimited plan, and I do use Apple Play in the car.

Do I need it? How much of It do I need? What exactly is it doing for me? According to the MyConnect web site, I've used about 14gig in the past 30 days.

Thanks!
I didn't even realize you could go to a website for your account.

14 gig in 30 days?! That seems like a lot. Are you streaming videos/watching Netflix or YouTube?
Old 11-12-2017, 04:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fun4stuff
I didn't even realize you could go to a website for your account.

14 gig in 30 days?! That seems like a lot. Are you streaming videos/watching Netflix or YouTube?
No video streaming services other than music on Apple play. I do use the Google maps a lot.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

From what I thought, Connect Prime gives you Google Earth and all the other goodies, Connect Plus adds the wifi hot spot. I checked my account and saw that I used 2G the last 30 days. It also says I can sign up for Audi Connect Prime plus Prime Plus with 6G for $499 for 18 months or $199 for 6 months. The Audi USA site shows the same price but does not say it includes Prime Plus. So Im not really sure now. I was hoping that the $499 fee includes all the usage for the Audi Connect without having to do the ATT add on.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:54 AM
V0X
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the Audi Connect website and connect prime and plus descriptions are poorly described. Personally, I don't think Google Earth images on VC is worth $500 every 18 mos, but that's just me. I certainly don't need a car with WiFi when my phone already has that (free) feature.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V0X
the Audi Connect website and connect prime and plus descriptions are poorly described. Personally, I don't think Google Earth images on VC is worth $500 every 18 mos, but that's just me. I certainly don't need a car with WiFi when my phone already has that (free) feature.
It's not. The Google maps overlay and traffic info should be included with the price of the car for at least 5 years. It costs them almost nothing for these- near 100% profit. The sad thing is a majority of people aren't purchasing these services only a small, < 10% are the suckers but because it's 100% profit they have nothing to lose.

In the gaming industry the same thing is done with DLC (downloadable content) and in-game purchases/microtransactions. There was just a good post on Reddit explaining this. Same thing applies with these services like audiconnect and onstar.... Except it's generally the old people getting suckered in who don't know how to work a smart phone and therefore don't realize the true value of these services.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comm..._is_crumbling/

Unfortunately, if you read the link, the only way to fight this business practice would to not buy Audi cars in general. There's always going to be a few suckers. Same sorts who reply back those Nigerian email scams. I still like audi.. but when the competition likE Mercedes is offering these services for 5 years with purchase of the car, it makes one think....

Last edited by Fun4stuff; 11-14-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fun4stuff
It's not. The Google maps overlay and traffic info should be included with the price of the car for at least 5 years. It costs them almost nothing for these- near 100% profit. The sad thing is a majority of people aren't purchasing these services only a small, < 10% are the suckers but because it's 100% profit they have nothing to lose.

In the gaming industry the same thing is done with DLC (downloadable content) and in-game purchases/microtransactions. There was just a good post on Reddit explaining this. Same thing applies with these services like audiconnect and onstar.... Except it's generally the old people getting suckered in who don't know how to work a smart phone and therefore don't realize the true value of these services.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comm..._is_crumbling/

Unfortunately, if you read the link, the only way to fight this business practice would to not buy Audi cars in general. There's always going to be a few suckers. Same sorts who reply back those Nigerian email scams. I still like audim.. but when the competition lileervedes is offering these services for free for 5 years with purchase of the car, it makes one think....
At least they include CarPlay/Android Auto, which is a fee-free option for nav & connectivity.

Last edited by paperbridge; 11-14-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Left out reference to Android Auto
Old 11-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I'm fairly new to Audi Connect I'm just trying to understand how things will change when my connect subscription expires. I understand that Google Earth will go away and the hot spot feature as well. What about the INRIX based navigation I THOUGHT was built into the car. Does this mean I get no navigation displayed in the VC and only Apple maps via carplay (since I have iOS) for navigation?
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Without Audi Connect you will lose Google Earth overlay, traffic, the various apps i.e. gas pricing, events, parking lots, news, weather, etc. You will also lose the Send to Map plus all MMI Connect app features and in car wifi.
You will maintain the internal standard maps with navigation to street addresses and limited POIs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Renew Audi Plus or Prime or ???