Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

inaccurate backup camera lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default inaccurate backup camera lines

Recently took delivery and noticed the backup camera line on the passenger side doesn't seem very accurate. The passenger side line shows the car being closer to the edge than it actually is.
Can tell when perfectly centered in a parking spot and the passenger side line rides the line of the parking spot while the driver side does not.

Asked the dealership and the representative stated this is inherent in the new Q5/SQ5 since the camera is no longer positioned in the exact center. He stated he also has the new Q5 and has to live with it.
Anyone else notice the same or is it worth getting the camera recalibrated? Everything lined up perfectly in my previous Q5.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by userbbc
Recently took delivery and noticed the backup camera line on the passenger side doesn't seem very accurate. The passenger side line shows the car being closer to the edge than it actually is.
Can tell when perfectly centered in a parking spot and the passenger side line rides the line of the parking spot while the driver side does not.

Asked the dealership and the representative stated this is inherent in the new Q5/SQ5 since the camera is no longer positioned in the exact center. He stated he also has the new Q5 and has to live with it.
Anyone else notice the same or is it worth getting the camera recalibrated? Everything lined up perfectly in my previous Q5.
Unfortunately I’ve noticed that Audi seems to think that the electronic assistant features are horseshoes And hand grenades, close is good enough, its too bad. I’ve got an s8 as well as the sq5 and things like parking assist sounds and blind side detection features err on the side of conservative to the point of uselessness. I have similar features on my 2011 Mercedes e550 and they are far more accurate, ie, useful. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Review camera lines and view were conservative but consistent on the previous gen Q5. Nobody else has an issue where the drivers side line is actually conservative but accurate while the passenger side line is totally off? The curb can be inside the passenger side line and I'm still 6in from the curb.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

With more s/q5 owners on the road now, reviving this thread wondering if anyone else has rearview camera guide line issues. the passenger side line always seems closer to the curb than the car actually is. So in order to center the car, the passenger side line actually needs to be past the curb you are parking against. The driver side line doesn't have this issue.

Is this happening for anyone in more recent q's? Any fixes/recalibration techniques?
Old 07-22-2019, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by userbbc
With more s/q5 owners on the road now, reviving this thread wondering if anyone else has rearview camera guide line issues. the passenger side line always seems closer to the curb than the car actually is. So in order to center the car, the passenger side line actually needs to be past the curb you are parking against. The driver side line doesn't have this issue.

Is this happening for anyone in more recent q's? Any fixes/recalibration techniques?
I am always worried if i will scrap my wheels because of this. It does seem to be a bit on the conservative side
Old 07-22-2019, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

I too live in mortal fear of curb rash. When I line up the outside of the guide line on the passenger side with it just touching the curb, I still have 1 1/2 - 2 inches between the wheel and the curb. Since I know that is my tolerance, it is not a problem. But when I pull into a parking space with lines on both sides, and center the car, and then get out and check, the car does seem to be centered in the space. What that tells me is that there is a "tolerance" built in on both sides. I have parked so few times with the curb on the driver's side that I haven't really checked.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ronsal
I too live in mortal fear of curb rash. When I line up the outside of the guide line on the passenger side with it just touching the curb, I still have 1 1/2 - 2 inches between the wheel and the curb. Since I know that is my tolerance, it is not a problem. But when I pull into a parking space with lines on both sides, and center the car, and then get out and check, the car does seem to be centered in the space. What that tells me is that there is a "tolerance" built in on both sides. I have parked so few times with the curb on the driver's side that I haven't really checked.
Exactly! It drives me bananas and I do not like parallel parking my car due to this.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Funny. After parallel parking without electronics for close to 50 years, I don't even use the camera for keeping track of the curb. The cameras and beeps are useful for how close front and behind cars are. I use the cameras for backing into spaces, but still am old school for most parking details.

I've always prided myself in parallel parking into spots. With electronics, future generations are going to lose spatial orientation capacities that we take for granted. Heck, just press the button and let it park for you.

Sorry for the off topic rant and not meaning to totally hijack the thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by spindlewood:
LBRamsfan (07-22-2019), Mister Bally (07-24-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by nikv
Exactly! It drives me bananas and I do not like parallel parking my car due to this.
What I was trying to say is that since I know what the variance is, and it is the same every time, it is not a problem - the line touches the curb (in the camera view), that means I am right where I want to be - about an inch and a half away from the curb. Personally I would rather have it that way, than it being the outside of the line showing the edge of the curb being in contact with the curb ----- yee gads, DREADED CURB RASH........LOL
I guess it's just what you get used to.......
Old 07-22-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Funny. After parallel parking without electronics for close to 50 years, I don't even use the camera for keeping track of the curb. The cameras and beeps are useful for how close front and behind cars are. I use the cameras for backing into spaces, but still am old school for most parking details.

I've always prided myself in parallel parking into spots. With electronics, future generations are going to lose spatial orientation capacities that we take for granted. Heck, just press the button and let it park for you.

Sorry for the off topic rant and not meaning to totally hijack the thread.
Ha ha ha! I am in my 30s. So inexperienced relatively. I agree though. These days folks do not even remember emergency phone numbers. I can parallel but i want that perfect parallel job in first try without getting embarrassed by people watching me park. I am not there yet without tech.

Quick Reply: inaccurate backup camera lines