Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

wheel and tire insurance

Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel and tire insurance

just ordered an a5 coupe with 19 inch wheel package. What exactly is the wheel and tire insurance that is offered by the dealer? what is the price? and is it worth it in your opinion ? thanx
Old 11-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same question
Old 11-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One quick answer No. They will repair the wheel and not replace. I have found wheel guys that they use to repair cut corners. You can find the same guys the dealers use and it does not cost much to do a repair on a scuffed wheel.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skup
One quick answer No. They will repair the wheel and not replace. I have found wheel guys that they use to repair cut corners. You can find the same guys the dealers use and it does not cost much to do a repair on a scuffed wheel.
The fine print is that any road hazard causing the wheel / tire to suffer non-cosmetic damage, bend, puncture, or bubbling, they either repair or replace. In my opinion 19' benefits more, especially in city with notorious road condition such as NYC, pothole heaven.

One of my colleagues has A4 with 18' already had bubbling on 2 tires after 1 year ownership but cannot replace since he did not buy the plan. To me ~$1k covering 4 or 5 years (I forgot) is worth it.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mikage3k
The fine print is that any road hazard causing the wheel / tire to suffer non-cosmetic damage, bend, puncture, or bubbling, they either repair or replace. In my opinion 19' benefits more, especially in city with notorious road condition such as NYC, pothole heaven.

One of my colleagues has A4 with 18' already had bubbling on 2 tires after 1 year ownership but cannot replace since he did not buy the plan. To me ~$1k covering 4 or 5 years (I forgot) is worth it.
I disagree. I can purchase an entire set of tires installed for less than $1000 and the chance of damaging a wheel is more dependant on driver error than a road hazard causing damage. Even if a wheel gets damaged, it’s unlikely that the damage to one wheel exceeds even a few hundred dollars.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jhstl
I disagree. I can purchase an entire set of tires installed for less than $1000 and the chance of damaging a wheel is more dependant on driver error than a road hazard causing damage. Even if a wheel gets damaged, it’s unlikely that the damage to one wheel exceeds even a few hundred dollars.
I don't disagree. Part of insurance is to gamble against your best luck... at least I will feel at ease if I hit a big pothole...
Old 11-18-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did NOT get the wheel/tire insurance on my GTI, and I should have. All four wheels/tires were chewed up with road rash after 10k miles, 3 tires were replaced within 30k miles.

I DID get the wheel/tire insurance with my A5 for $700, if I remember. My decision was based on my experience with the low profile tires on the GTI. I should NOT have, as the 18” wheels/tire on the A5 are not low profile, and after 30k miles all four wheels/tires are pristine~knock wood.

Its one of the reasons I ordered my S4 with the 18” wheel/AS tires. I am not getting the insurance this time round as I dont think it necessary on the 18’s...especially with the passenger side mirror dip function~which I love for parallel parking against curbs.

If I were getting the 19’s, I defi would get the wheel/tire insurance, as the roads here are awful.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:28 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
...especially with the passenger side mirror dip function~which I love for parallel parking against curbs.

I forgot that A5 mirror does that!

I come to rely on the top-down view for parking so much, that I now realize I don't use the side mirrors for parking any more.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

It doesn't cover the wheels, but you can get tire repair/replacement insurance from shops like Discount Tire for about $30 per tire, even if you didn't buy the tires from them.

As part of my deal for my '18 S5 Coupe, I had the dealer swap out the 19" summer tires for Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 all season tires because I didn't want the hassle of swapping wheels/tires twice per year. Unfortunately within 700 miles I somehow had a giant nail embed itself in the sidewall of one of them which couldn't be repaired. So I had to buy a new tire and while doing so at Discount Tire I also purchased road hazzard insurance for all 4 at a cost of $120 on top of the cost of the new tire. Seemed like pretty reasonable insurance, especially after getting only 700 miles out of one of the originals.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Each dealer has different wheel and tire insurance, so not really anything we can discuss here on specifics.

If you beat up your tires and wheels (maybe by no fault of your own) it can be a good idea to get it.

Personally, I got the car with 18's and find this car very easy to park so I didnt buy it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheel and tire insurance