Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tech questions - car play, subscrition based features, navigation

Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech questions - car play, subscrition based features, navigation

hello,

some noob questions.

1. Car play - does it have to connect thru cable? Can Bluetooth only play music then? Can someone clarify options and features between the two ways to connect a phone ? Having difficulty navigating thru car functions/screens. Advice and tips? Having to physically connect the phone then handle the phone on a short plug is annoying'

2. Wifes Samsung can connect to the cars WiFi but my apple cannot. Any idea here? Guessing i need to
call technical support.

3. Benefits of renewing subscriptions? I know i will not be renewing the WiFi since i have Internet on my phone. What is the other paid subscription? Not sure what I'll be missing out on, if much at all?

thanks!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

1) Yes, for Carplay functionality you need the cable. I think then music must play through Carplay, not BT. In my limited experience, I only plug in the phone to charge and of course Carplay starts. Uses for me would be largely to use the Apple Maps (never) and dictate texts etc. Otherwise, have never felt the need for Carplay.
Regarding difficulty navigating through screens...did you get a walk through at the dealer? Its simple once you get the basics
2) That shouldnt happen
3. Google Earth view, real time traffic, app use, other things in the MMI like news, weather, etc. I only miss the Google Earth view
Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On point 2, might be worth changing the cars Wi-fi hotspot name and password just to rule it out. For the name, make sure it’s not got and underscore. I know it shouldn’t matter but I’ve seen quirks like this before.

Last edited by srbsq7; 11-18-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ123
3. Benefits of renewing subscriptions? I know i will not be renewing the WiFi since i have Internet on my phone. What is the other paid subscription? Not sure what I'll be missing out on, if much at all?
!
For #3: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2919124
Old 11-18-2017, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Car play - does it have to connect thru cable? Can Bluetooth only play music then? Can someone clarify options and features between the two ways to connect a phone ? Having difficulty navigating thru car functions/screens. Advice and tips? Having to physically connect the phone then handle the phone on a short plug is annoying'!
Yes. Although VW was planning to demo it during CES 2016, but was asked by Apple to cancel it (link here). Presently, only BMW offers wireless CarPlay. My personal feeling is that the current generation MMI is very user friendly. Give yourself some time to go through it or ask your SA to walk you through.

2. Wifes Samsung can connect to the cars WiFi but my apple cannot. Any idea here? Guessing i need to
call technical support.
Give them a call and see what they say.

Search the forum. The Audi Connect Prime features and plans have been discussed extensively.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I purchased the car, I expected to use CarPlay. However, the car MMI is pretty good and in general more convenient since we have multiple screens and multiple ways to interact with it. Carplay is not as easy in general because you have to use the spinner to interact and switch screens; and you have to rely on Siri to do a lot which is OK, but not as good usually as the MMI. My biggest complaint is the Audi GPS overestimates drive time making it hard to use as a planning tool when running between meetings. But otherwise - it's worth spending the time to learn.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

On the Q5, does it pay to buy the car's navigation system or use the cell phone or both? I like Google maps and use it currently and never had a car navigation system. How does the car navigation system know what real traffic conditions are? What if I drop Wi-Fi? How much to keep?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

CarPlay and Android Auto are both fine options, except they aren’t as easy to use as the native MMI because everything has to be done done through the rotary ****. If you pay for the Audi subscription, it will give you real-time traffic conditions (via cell signal but it’s transparent to the driver, it just shows up). There are several threads here on this topic - it’s a common discussion if it’s worth the money because it’s not cheap ($200 for 6 months, 500 for 18 months), but does have some nice features
Old 11-23-2017, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info. My wife uses an iPhone 7+ and I use a Samsung S7. So if I know both will work with the Q5, I'd like to avoid the cost for the car navigation system. In any case, I'd rather use Google maps from both cell phones depending who's driving. Using a rotary **** stinks. Too bad the car screen isn't a touch screen. How difficult is it to use to control the cellphones during navigation?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your iPhone will not be able to display Google Maps (you can use it on the phone and it will tell you what to do, but not display). iPhone can use CarPlay which works fine... unless you are using CarPlay apple maps and making calls... then it’s a bunch of back and forth with the rotary ****. They need to overlay on top of the map - not make you switch apps... but that’s a design issue with CarPlay, not audi.

car nav will work without additional expense - but you’re giving up the real time traffic and google earth imagery (and a few other small features).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tech questions - car play, subscrition based features, navigation