Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Having a hard time deciding between Premium Plus and Prestige

Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 AM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Having a hard time deciding between Premium Plus and Prestige

Hey all, I know, I know. This will ultimately end up being my decision, but I could use someone who is more knowledgeable about Audi to help me out. Ok, first and foremost this will be my first Audi. I am moving from the kid getter Honda Pilot, and I have never had a "sedan" so this is a big move for me.

I have landed on my perfect car: A 2018 Audi A5

But I am having some issues landing on what trim. Right now I am leaning to the Prestige for the following reasons:
  • I am very interested in the drivers assist package. But I don't drive very far. I have a 20 minute drive to work and back, and mostly take my wife's mini-van on the weekends. But, With all the cars moving to "Autonomous Driving" I think it might be a mistake not to get these features, perhaps in the short future (~5y) some startup will release self-driving add-on as long as you have lane-assist type features. (looking at something like comma.ai) Question: Does the Prestige come with additional cameras/radar/sensors that do NOT come with the PP? It seems like it must because you only get the top down view, and Drives Assist package opportunity on the Prestige.
  • I like the heads up display, but obviously it is a toy and not something I absolutely need.
  • I like the color changing interior of the prestige. However, I am a very "technical minded" person, and I was wondering if Audi put RGB LEDs in the PP, but has them disabled in software. Can you hack your car to get RGB in the PP trim?
So here is the kicker. I have found a NEW Premium Plus in the color that I want, with all the features I want without the Prestige & Drivers assist. I have also found a used 2018 Prestige w/drivers assist, in a color I dont mind, but with a trim color I don't like. They are exactly the same price. My question is, I keep reading that the Premium Plus is the more in demand trim level, and I wonder why people don't want the drivers assistance package? Can anyone talk me down to the PP?

Thanks, I can't wait to be an Audi owner!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hevnsnt
Hey all, I know, I know. This will ultimately end up being my decision, but I could use someone who is more knowledgeable about Audi to help me out. Ok, first and foremost this will be my first Audi. I am moving from the kid getter Honda Pilot, and I have never had a "sedan" so this is a big move for me.

I have landed on my perfect car: A 2018 Audi A5

But I am having some issues landing on what trim. Right now I am leaning to the Prestige for the following reasons:
  • I am very interested in the drivers assist package. But I don't drive very far. I have a 20 minute drive to work and back, and mostly take my wife's mini-van on the weekends. But, With all the cars moving to "Autonomous Driving" I think it might be a mistake not to get these features, perhaps in the short future (~5y) some startup will release self-driving add-on as long as you have lane-assist type features. (looking at something like comma.ai) Question: Does the Prestige come with additional cameras/radar/sensors that do NOT come with the PP? It seems like it must because you only get the top down view, and Drives Assist package opportunity on the Prestige.
  • I like the heads up display, but obviously it is a toy and not something I absolutely need.
  • I like the color changing interior of the prestige. However, I am a very "technical minded" person, and I was wondering if Audi put RGB LEDs in the PP, but has them disabled in software. Can you hack your car to get RGB in the PP trim?
So here is the kicker. I have found a NEW Premium Plus in the color that I want, with all the features I want without the Prestige & Drivers assist. I have also found a used 2018 Prestige w/drivers assist, in a color I dont mind, but with a trim color I don't like. They are exactly the same price. My question is, I keep reading that the Premium Plus is the more in demand trim level, and I wonder why people don't want the drivers assistance package? Can anyone talk me down to the PP?

Thanks, I can't wait to be an Audi owner!
Have an S5 SB Prestige and the thing that did it for me over PP was the Driver Assist package and the HUD. Even though it's redundant being able to keep track of speed and speed limit as well as navigation while driving is fantastic and safer especially in bad weather.

The Driver Assist features are nice and to me they are worth it when again there's bad weather and/or you're stuck in traffic. They're not essential but they do make your life easier if you want and safer. For example had a long drive during a really bad storm when visibility was maybe 5-10 feet and I was able to put on the lane assist + ACC for most of the trip. Kept me at a safe distance that I control from car ahead and keep me in the lane pretty effectively.

The system isn't perfect by a long stretch but it's definitely useful.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Edit: that is incorrect, only get DAP on prestige
Driver assist is available on both trims, the only difference between a prestige and P+ in options you cant get at all are the HUD, and color changing interior.

If you are leasing, you are much better served to get premium plus because it has a 2% higher residual.

Last edited by ArvX147; 11-17-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Driver assist is available on both trims, the only difference between a prestige and P+ in options you cant get at all are the HUD, and color changing interior.

If you are leasing, you are much better served to get premium plus because it has a 2% higher residual.
That's weird, when I was configuring my car back in May I couldn't get all the Driver Assist packages on P+
Old 11-17-2017, 05:58 AM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I am not leasing, I am buying. I keep cars for 10yr/200k. Hmm, I am pretty sure you have to have Prestige to get Drivers Assistance?
Old 11-17-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am not leasing, I am buying. I keep cars for 10yr/200k. Hmm, I am pretty sure you have to have Prestige to get Drivers Assistance?
Since you're buying and plan on keeping the car for along time I would suggest you get the S5 Sportback Prestige. That way, a few years down the road, you don't say to yourself; Ah...I should've, would've, could've had it all.
I've found that I never regret getting the bells and whistles but if I don't I usually do.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry for the wrong info, I didnt realize it wasnt an option on P+

OP : if you are buying the car load it up.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

To me the prestige package was a must. The HUD is not just a toy. It allows you to keep your eyes on the road and gives you not only your current speed but also the current speed limit right in the windshield. It will also give you navigation directions when you have a destination set so you are not taking your eyes off the road to see your next move. Prestige also gives you the top view camera system, which is really nice in many parking situations. DAP is really nice to have because it does more than just drive the car in traffic. In normal highway situations the system will take care of regulating the distance at any speed. When going 65 mph, and the car ahead of you decides to slow down to 55 mph for no apparent reason the car adapts the speed accordingly and then goes right back up to speed once the driver speeds back up or changes lanes. I also use the system to keep me at the speed limit on local roads that have heavy enforcement (speed traps). We have several roads in the area with low limits (like 30 mph) and it is really nice to have the car take over in these situations. I also use the DAP as a brake hold feature at long lights. Once stopped at a long light, I can engage the DAP and the car will stay stopped at the light (with the brake lights on) without having to keep my foot on the brake. Once the light turns green, a tap on the gas pedal is all that is needed to get going and then I can either keep DAP engaged to regulate the speed or cancel it.

You say you narrowed it down between 2 cars that come close to what you want, but I am sure you know by reading this forum that you can order exactly what you want. It sounds like you are not in a dire situation where you must buy a car now so I would really encourage you to order exactly what you want. Yes, it will take about 3 to 4 months for the car to come in, but if you plan on keeping the car for 10 years, the 4 months is going to be nothing compared the the 10 years of not getting exactly what you wanted. Just make sure that the dealer you go with has an existing allocation for the car you want and that they modify that allocation to your specs.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I ordered prestige for the 360 camera
Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

@ hevnsnt , From what I have read there are actually different LED modules in the Prestige for the RGB lights vs the PP. There was discussion somewhere on the forum regarding this matter, sorry I don't recall the thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Having a hard time deciding between Premium Plus and Prestige