A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

AM/Fm Radio Not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM/Fm Radio Not working

Hi All,
I have a 2009 A4 with Bang and Olusfen stereo.

Radio was working completely fine one day and today nothing but static on all channels.

The CD player and MMI still play music through the system just fine. Only the radio does not work at all.

Is this a fuse issue? Or perhaps the signal wire has become lose/disconnected? Any ideas?

Thanks In advance.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Antenna would be the first thing to look into if only the AM/FM is not working.
But couldn't tell you anything about inline fuses or where the connections are. The wiring diagram is very confusing in regards to the AM/FM antenna path.
Have you tried both the AM and FM bands to see if both are out?
Old 11-20-2017, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply. Both bands.

I checked the fuses there is no issue.

Actually a very strange development I was driving to work today went to FM just to see if it was there and it was working (poorly but still working) I was able to change the channels and everything. Tried switching over to AM. Got nothing. Went back to FM and it was gone as well.

Now I am leaning towards just an intermittent signal wire or possibly I just need to reset the whole car (battery remove).
Old 11-23-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd find someone with a scan tool or VCDS it would be able to better pin point an issue I mean it even monitors the lights that turn on in the doors. So it might have some insight. Well worth the $300 it costs to get in my opinion or if you where close I'd help you out and scan it for you.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by planekiller1
I'd find someone with a scan tool or VCDS it would be able to better pin point an issue I mean it even monitors the lights that turn on in the doors. So it might have some insight. Well worth the $300 it costs to get in my opinion or if you where close I'd help you out and scan it for you.
Thanks for the offer but I live in Canada. I will see what I can find.
Old 07-21-2022, 03:33 PM
erw
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had a problem with my radio suddenly not receiving AM. FM and SAT still worked. If I increased the volume up very loud while set to AM, I could hear the station faintly and with a lot of static. I did a little research and concluded that the antenna amplifier under the D pillar was probably bad. I exposed it and pressed around on it while set to AM, and the station came in and out. This indicated to me that something was wrong (probably circuit board cracking) with the antenna booster. This is a known issue. I replaced the antenna booster and my AM radio reception returned.

The GPS/NAV and SAT antennas are in the roof-top sharkfin. The AM/FM antenna is in the rear window. Some of the on-glass wires at the driver side top are for the radio antenna. There are also some on the passenger side top, but on my model (A4 B8 Premium Plus without NAV), the passenger side antenna leads off the rear window are unconnected.

Under the D pillar on the driver side, you will find an antenna amplifier (aka antenna booster). There is a blue coax input that comes from the sharkfin roof antenna, a lead with a couple of wires coming from the rear window antenna grid, and another lead also to the rear window grid. This last may be for power. I am not sure. There are two coax outputs, one yellow and one white. I presume there go to the radio unit. They travel down the D pillar into the trunk area.

When you remove the D pillar cover, be careful because there is an airbag in the there that you do not want to damage or trigger. I was able to pull off the D pillar by grapping it with my fingers at the top and pulling gently. Some metal snaps disengaged and I was able to pivot the D pillar cover forward. There are some plastic tabs on the bottom edge which align with holes on the platform behind the rear seats.

Old 10-07-2022, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default am/fm

Originally Posted by erw
I had a problem with my radio suddenly not receiving AM. FM and SAT still worked. If I increased the volume up very loud while set to AM, I could hear the station faintly and with a lot of static. I did a little research and concluded that the antenna amplifier under the D pillar was probably bad. I exposed it and pressed around on it while set to AM, and the station came in and out. This indicated to me that something was wrong (probably circuit board cracking) with the antenna booster. This is a known issue. I replaced the antenna booster and my AM radio reception returned.

The GPS/NAV and SAT antennas are in the roof-top sharkfin. The AM/FM antenna is in the rear window. Some of the on-glass wires at the driver side top are for the radio antenna. There are also some on the passenger side top, but on my model (A4 B8 Premium Plus without NAV), the passenger side antenna leads off the rear window are unconnected.

Under the D pillar on the driver side, you will find an antenna amplifier (aka antenna booster). There is a blue coax input that comes from the sharkfin roof antenna, a lead with a couple of wires coming from the rear window antenna grid, and another lead also to the rear window grid. This last may be for power. I am not sure. There are two coax outputs, one yellow and one white. I presume there go to the radio unit. They travel down the D pillar into the trunk area.

When you remove the D pillar cover, be careful because there is an airbag in the there that you do not want to damage or trigger. I was able to pull off the D pillar by grapping it with my fingers at the top and pulling gently. Some metal snaps disengaged and I was able to pivot the D pillar cover forward. There are some plastic tabs on the bottom edge which align with holes on the platform behind the rear seats.
Did the antenna booster fix the issue?