Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic coating

Brand new 20018 q5.Got Opti Pro. I hired a mobile detailer to come to my house good reviews seemed like a nice guy... he said he will come back to fix the problem but I was wondering if this is normal or a really bad job? I see these fine spider web like lines all over the car under the light.. Since this is a coating job not sure if this is even fixable like he said?

UPDATE

So my previous detailer will refund my money without any problems
Now I have to find a new person to redo it
The two places I compared ( they were also on the Opti Coat website and regional manager of Opti Coat guaranteed their quality of work. But now they will cost double - ~ 2000$
I am in the Bay Area and things are more $$ Would you pay $2000 for coating your car? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Babyaudi; 11-25-2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Updates
Old 11-18-2017, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the process is typically to remove all/if any swirls before applying the ceramic coating. A local guy takes great pride in showing the flawlessness of the paint both before and after Ceramic Pro is applied. I really hope he can/will fix the that.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Your paint will need a lot of correction and then the coating will have to be reapplied. This will not be a quick process. I am guessing at least a full day, if not 2 days.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My recommendation is to demand your money back, and take your car to another detailer. That is so egregiously bad that giving this detailer a second chance will likely only lead to more damage on your paint. Seriously, take your business elsewhere.

And yes, the coating will be removed via paint correction/polishing, and will need to be reapplied once the paint is perfected.

If the detailer gives you ANY grief about demanding a refund, reach out to Optimum Polymer Technologies and share your story/photos. They’ll be keenly interested in knowing someone in their detailer network is doing this shoddy work.

Best of luck.

Last edited by jsilas; 11-19-2017 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-19-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsilas
My recommendation is to demand your money back, and take your car to another detailer. That is so egregiously bad that giving this detailer a second chance will likely only lead to more damage on your paint. Seriously, take your business elsewhere.

And yes, the coating will be removed via paint correction/polishing, and will need to be reapplied once the paint is perfected.

If the detailer gives you ANY grief about demanding a refund, reach out to Optimum Polymer Technologies and share your story/photos. They’ll be keenly interested in knowing someone in their detailer network is doing this shoddy work.

Best of luck.
This is good advice, especially the part about contacting the manufacturer if needed. The coating should not have been applied with the paint looking like that. The cost of coatings is in the time and labor for the preparation. Good luck in getting things resolved.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's a ridiculously bad job. He didn't even correct the paint before laying down the Opti. Yikes.

Demand your money back and go to an AUTHORIZED Opti dealer. Look on their website. This is what happens when you price shop a coating.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jsilas
... reach out to Optimum Polymer Technologies and share your story/photos. They’ll be keenly interested in knowing someone in their detailer network is doing this shoddy work.
If the detailer isn't certified by Opti, they won't help.

This is an issue of doing your research fully before pulling the trigger.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I doubt the paint was in that condition before, the cars only a couple months old!! That looks like a good 5 years of weathering and bad carwashes. Hopefully the scratches are in the ceramic coating itself (not sure if that happens)? Otherwise that guy seriously damaged your car. Get it repaired at a better place and take the guy to small claims court if he doesn't pay.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is horrible. We went with a paint correction and 22PLE VX Pro ceramic. It took our guy almost 12 hours to compete the process an this was done a week after delivery, with minimal swirls or defects. There isn't a streak anywhere on the car, so what he did to yours is a travesty. I would demand a refund and find someone else. It will take longer to correct as the ceramic needs to removed as well as the normal steps in a paint correction.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that looks bad. My detailer purposely convince me not to go with Opti Coat mainly due to how difficult it is to apply. This guys is an authorized dealer and he has issues with it, but as others have said typically swirls and paint correction MUST be done FIRST. My car was literally one week old and I had to pay $100 for paint correction and to remove any swirls the dealership caused during the PDI process. FYI There were some, but luckily it wasn't too bad.

Anyways I got G-Techniq serum which looks and works great!
https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/au.../crystal-serum

I would sincerely reconsider weather or not you should continue to use your current detailer.

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating