Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Is the Q7 right for us

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Q7 right for us

I have been actively following and reading most of the post here and asking questions as well. I thought that this would be the car, but as I waited to buy, there are a couple of things I want to make sure I get some clarity before I buy this car. I want to make sure we are buying the right car for our needs.

We want a s 7 seater SUV, I want to be able to put 2 child seats in the second row. I guess its has to be 1 behind the passenger and 1 in the center seat. We will be using the third row for the occasional in-laws, family going to the restaurant 20-30 min ride and the occasional 2-3 hours trips we take. Would the 3rd row be comfortable for this kind of longer drive for adults in the 3rd row?

How easy is it to get into the 3rd row, to be honest i didn't like that they don't have easy button to have the second row seat fold down to get into third row. $70,000 is a lot of money and not sure given what we need this is the right car. This week I looked at a CPO GL450, and thought it had a lot of room, the third row definitely has more room than the q7. The multimedia center is outdated, but does have easy entry to the third row, price wise its under $50,000

The other option is the MDX Advance, but the third row will again be an issue as it has similar room to the Q7.
Does anyone here own the GL450? and the Q7? or own any of the combination of the cars mentioned, what do you like/dislike about each. Just trying to get an idea from owners who have kids and use the 3rd row of what you think now that you have the car.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just for the fun of it try a Toyota Siena AWD Limited. The Q7 is just a tall hard to climb up into minivan anyways!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally depends on how tall your passengers are, because the 2nd row seats can be moved forward to yield more space for the 3rd row. Without moving 2nd row forward, the 3rd row is fine for road trips only for people 5' 3" or shorter.

Another option when you need to carry 6 people is to keep one of the 2nd row outboard seats folded up. This gives much more legroom for one of the 3rd row seats, and makes entry / exit much easier.

For your 2-3 hour road trips with 3rd row up, note that you'll only have 14.8 cu cargo space (although you can install cargo carriers like one of those: https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black).
Old 11-19-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sid369
I have been actively following and reading most of the post here and asking questions as well. I thought that this would be the car, but as I waited to buy, there are a couple of things I want to make sure I get some clarity before I buy this car. I want to make sure we are buying the right car for our needs.

We want a s 7 seater SUV, I want to be able to put 2 child seats in the second row. I guess its has to be 1 behind the passenger and 1 in the center seat. We will be using the third row for the occasional in-laws, family going to the restaurant 20-30 min ride and the occasional 2-3 hours trips we take. Would the 3rd row be comfortable for this kind of longer drive for adults in the 3rd row?

How easy is it to get into the 3rd row, to be honest i didn't like that they don't have easy button to have the second row seat fold down to get into third row. $70,000 is a lot of money and not sure given what we need this is the right car. This week I looked at a CPO GL450, and thought it had a lot of room, the third row definitely has more room than the q7. The multimedia center is outdated, but does have easy entry to the third row, price wise its under $50,000

The other option is the MDX Advance, but the third row will again be an issue as it has similar room to the Q7.
Does anyone here own the GL450? and the Q7? or own any of the combination of the cars mentioned, what do you like/dislike about each. Just trying to get an idea from owners who have kids and use the 3rd row of what you think now that you have the car.
First off, neither do I own any of the vehicles mentioned above or have kids.

From your post, it appears your primary concern is the ability to accommodate 2 child seats in the second row and feasibility of using the third row when needed. As you have seen yourself, the second row offers ample space and should easily fit two child seats. Regarding space in the third row, Mercedes GL is king. The Q7 offers sufficient space for reasonably sized two adults for couple of hours ride (6' adults will definitely not be happy). As to accessing the third row, yes you have to lift the second row seat and there is no short cut slide button option. However, once you do get the hang of it, it is not too difficult. Can a child flip the second row seat and hop to the third row, probably not.

Where the Q7 shines is the immensely quiet comfortable ride, pleasant handling and wide array of technology it offers with the ability to haul 7 adults when required. If you still want more space, maybe you should be looking at a vehicle which is a size larger than the Q7, think Mercedes GL and Land Rover. In the end, it all boils down to what you need the most from the vehicle. Happy shopping!

Cheers.

Last edited by sr007; 11-19-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don’t know how old your kids are, but mine are both still rear facing. Practically speaking I can NOT slide the second row seats forward because the rear facing car seats are nearly against the fronts already. This will ease a lot once the seats go front facing.

Also, we tried one seat behind driver (18 months) and one seat in center (newborn) with grandma in the passenger side rear. Grandma spent the trip trying to keep the big one from dropping toys on the little one. After the first trip we moved the two seats apart, leaving the center seat and third row practically inaccessible. This is ok for me, but leaves me with only four usable seating positions for a while!

Last edited by jk2317; 11-19-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-19-2017, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I dont think the GLS 3rd row is any easier to get into, actually harder. I've done it several times. But yes, the 3rd row is roomier. The biggest issue I have with the GLE and GLS is that the interior is dated/patchwork. Next models will be nicer for sure

Last edited by BigKutta; 11-19-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

If you actually need a 3rd row for adults, get a VW Atlas. Sure it doesn't drive as nice and doesn't have a luxury badge, but it will actually be a functional vehicle that you will be happy with. It also looks pretty good if you get it with the 20" black wheels.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to the Sienna. The 2018 Sienna's are just hitting the dealers. While the refinement or experience is not close to the Q7, but for an MSRP of $48K (Limited Premium), you will get the same safety features, rear seat entertainment, recliner type second row, and a comfortable 3rd row. Getting in and out is relatively easy as well.

You are absolutely right about the GLS. I thought it is way more comfortable in the third row, but I eliminated it because its an old platform and costs more if you want all the features that the Q7 has. I do think it is easier to get in and out in the GLS than it is in the Q7, but I don't give that a lot of weightage, because we dont have to do that very often, so even if it is an inconvenience once a month to get in / out, not a big deal.

In the end, you have to decide and prioritize the features / specs that are most important to you. For us third row on an SUV was important, but not very important because we own a Sienna which will be replaced with another Sienna soon.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

good try guys on the push for a minivan, but its not happening....

I thought about the VW atlas and even saw one, didn't do a test drive, but it is not what I am looking for and from what i have read it is very slow. I think it will come down to the GL and the Q7, I need to test drive them back to back. The $70,000 sticker of the Q7 is also holding me back. I do like mostly all of the the stuff the car has to offer, never bought a car this expensive and don't want to feel like I could have gotten by getting something a bit less expensive.

Maybe a used q7 is the way to go
Old 11-19-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you consider the XC90? My wife and kids loved the 3rd row on it.

Quick Reply: Is the Q7 right for us