S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Traded my 14 S6 for a 17 SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded my 14 S6 for a 17 SS

I have nothing bad to say about my experience over the past couple of years with my 14 S6. The car is truly amazing in every way and I may be back in another Audi in a couple of years ( S6/7, RS7 or S8). Only time will tell.

I got a great deal on a new 2017 Chevrolet SS that had 20% off for the month of November. These are the cars that Holden produced in Australia for the past few years. 415 hp, RWD, magnetic ride, Brembos and a whole bunch of goodies. The deal was to good to pass up. I put over 40k miles on my S6 in less than two years. Three weeks my S6 took a minor hit in the rear as well and had that all taken care of.

Yeah, I know you're probably rolling your eyes saying am I nuts? Have to say after driving from Maryland earlier today the SS was an amazing deal! I know it's not Audi service or the status of the brand. I'm pretty much driving a fast Impalabu! LOL! But a damn good well balanced performance sedan! I am going to miss my S6 but may be Back!
Old 12-03-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I thought about an SS before I got my CPO '14 S6. Ultimately it came down to limited availability of the SS in my area to see what kind of deal I could get so I didn't even drive one. On paper it's a great car and I'm sure you'll like it. I've been super happy with my S6 but I think I would have liked the SS as well. Good luck with it!
Old 12-04-2017, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As I mentioned I loved the S6 and may go back into another one in a couple of years. Funny, I'm an Anthony P as well. Mrant actually stands for Mr Anthony. So far I'm having a blast with this SS! Not as polished as an S6 but a lot of fun!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

The SS was released as the SS Commodore by Holden at home. Its a great car with plenty of fun bits and nice touches - not to mention the boogie when you give it the beans.

When HSV (Holden Special Vehicles) got hold of them and did even more, they became monsters.

They raced them ( or that platform) in the V8 Supercars as well.

The finish and options were the thing that took me to my S6 over the SS... but its a great car no doubt and one you will well enjoy.

Congrats.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dazs4
The finish and options were the thing that took me to my S6 over the SS... but its a great car no doubt and one you will well enjoy.
Congrats.
Its also roughly 1/2 the price of a loaded S6. I agree though, with the SS you can’t go wrong. It’s great bang for your buck.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Its also roughly 1/2 the price of a loaded S6. I agree though, with the SS you can’t go wrong. It’s great bang for your buck.
Had the car for a week and almost 1k miles on it already. Yes, the S6 is a way more refined vehicle with its interior and high end touches. The SS though isn't that bad. Has nice seats and some nice touches for a GM/Australian car. Some of the plastics are a bit cheaper in certain areas of the interior and most of the switchgear is GM. Has the older version of Mylink which is user friendly but not as good as MMI. Handling and braking I think is more fun ( I said fun not necessarily better) than the S6. The sound of the SS is pure perfection especially in sport mode which rumbles, crackles and pops. Bottom line is one really can't compare these cars to each other but I will say this is more fun to me to drive with the sound and playing kick the tail out with RWD.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I bought a Pontiac GTO some years ago (the previous Holden Commodore platform), and was sorely disappointed at the cheap build quality (no surprise being a GM subsidiary), especially the crappy suspension. Also had issues with THREE Vettes, so no more GM vehicles ever again for me. But yes, the SS is a performance bargain, but as the saying goes: you get what you pay for. I much prefer a less performing car better put together personally, but to each his own. I did the same 'mistake' with the Vettes, until I realized the money I lost selling them shortly after getting them was way more than if I had bought the Porsche I ultimately bought after the last one. Coming from an S6 to a SS you'll probably hit that point pretty soon.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Approaching 2k miles and still enjoying this car. Many of my friends all have the usual Audi/MB/BMW/JagLexus etc and they're all pretty impressed with the value the SS brings to the table. Can one compare it to an S6....not really as I mentioned before. I will say this car is light years ahead of the GTO you were talking about which was based off the Holden Monaro. Drivetrain, suspension etc is totally different.
Was talking to a service manager of a very large MB dealership and he was taken back at the sound,fit and finish of the SS. He actually wants to drive it one day and never saw one till mine.
I'm planning on having some fun with this car for a couple of years as mentioned earlier and may go back to another Audi S6/8.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the gas mileage of the SS compare to the S6? I only get 17MPG in mixed driving with my S6 which I don't consider to be very good. EPA ratings are way off for the S6 IMO.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:48 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by braincell38
How's the gas mileage of the SS compare to the S6? I only get 17MPG in mixed driving with my S6 which I don't consider to be very good. EPA ratings are way off for the S6 IMO.
It seems EPA "corrected" the rating for 2018....I am not sure what that is all about since absolutely nothing physically changed between '17 and '18 as far as anyone knows. (Assuming it is all down to software.)
It was noted in another thread.
2017 S6 18/27 mpg
2018 S6 16/24 mpg
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...37769&id=39393

Quick Reply: Traded my 14 S6 for a 17 SS