Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

the S5 Sportback is a family sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default the S5 Sportback is a family sedan?

Heck, in these genre bending days is there such a thing? Most of the families I know who own a sedan also have a crossover, SUV or minivan for the family. If I ever see an S5 Sportback with a row of kids in the back you'll be able to knock me over with a feather. In my books the balance, good looks and great interior that David Booth refers to here spell Grand Tourer. No, it's not ready for the track, but the BMW F80/F82 with no spare tire and compromised luggage space is not ready for the open road. Even with my beloved single hump E92 M3 DCT there was always a little anxiety caused by the lack of a spare on a long trip.

Otherwise a pretty good review. I agree that the engine/transmission is not quite as good as the 440i xDrive, but the suspension, sport differential, interior and cargo space are much, much better. On the preferred equipment side I was delighted that I could get rear cross traffic alert without the driver assistance package on the Audi, and I spent the money on Dynamic Steering instead.

Car Review: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback | Driving
Old 12-07-2017, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a great family sedan (reason why I bought mine) with a sporty feel. But a sports car it is not. Just wish it had slightly more rear leg room. I think the S4 has more. But obviously the biggest draw for me was the hatchback trunk.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by stan23
It is a great family sedan (reason why I bought mine) with a sporty feel. But a sports car it is not. Just wish it had slightly more rear leg room. I think the S4 has more. But obviously the biggest draw for me was the hatchback trunk.
I see it as a great family GT ... perfect for those who'd otherwise have a coupe, appreciate the practicality of 4 doors, but don't want a traditional sedan. The B9 S4 is could easily be any other traditional sedan; the S5 Sportback is special ... without sacrificing much, if anything.

Rear legroom in the S5 SB is 0.5" less than B9 S4; all other interior dimensions outside of cargo volume are nearly identical as well.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rob O
I see it as a great family GT ... perfect for those who'd otherwise have a coupe, appreciate the practicality of 4 doors, but don't want a traditional sedan. The B9 S4 is could easily be any other traditional sedan; the S5 Sportback is special ... without sacrificing much, if anything.

Rear legroom in the S5 SB is 0.5" less than B9 S4; all other interior dimensions outside of cargo volume are nearly identical as well.
I wish we had that .5" of rear legroom the S4 has. When you're dealing with these new rear facing car seats, half an inch matters!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

I wish we had that .5" of rear legroom the S4 has. When you're dealing with these new rear facing car seats, half an inch matters!
When I had a B5 S4 Avant back in the day, I had two rear facing child seats! And that rear seating area is way smaller. ;-P
Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 140 Likes on 102 Posts

I will not buy a SUV or a Minivan and family does not always mean kids. I need a 4 door car that looks good and I would enjoy driving.to take my parents around from time to time. All my other cars are 2 door which is totally not usable as there's no way they'll be able to get in the back seat of a 2 door couple.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wiz33
I will not buy a SUV or a Minivan and family does not always mean kids. I need a 4 door car that looks good and I would enjoy driving.to take my parents around from time to time. All my other cars are 2 door which is totally not usable as there's no way they'll be able to get in the back seat of a 2 door couple.
My parents and inlaws loved my Tesla Model S. Easy access rear bench seat with no hump on the floorboard. My dad particularly loved how fast the P90D was!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default my mother is 91...

Originally Posted by Wiz33
She could always get into the back seat of my 435i coupe, but getting her out was tricky.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
If I ever see an S5 Sportback with a row of kids in the back you'll be able to knock me over with a feather.
I've got two car seats in the back of mine. It's got great styling, good performance - but a "sports car", it is not.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default a hint of "2+2"...

The most common configuration of the classic GT, both in the styling and in the slightly cramped rear seat.

Quick Reply: the S5 Sportback is a family sedan?