S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Three weeks with the new S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three weeks with the new S4

So, today marks 3 weeks with the new car. I thought I would share a few thoughts with the members.

I came out of a 2016 S3, and, at first blush, the S4 reminds me of the old S3, but slightly larger, and with the trick diff making the twisties a bit more fun.

At first, I did not like the B & O at all, but, with some input from people here, I seem to have found the sweet spot re the somewhat limited sound settings, and now feel the radio to be a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10. Not great, but sounds OK at the higher volumes.

The engine sound, or lack of same, bothers me, and my plan is to get an AWE touring system and have it installed ASAP. This car is just to quiet for the category of car it fits into, and I like my exhaust, on a car such as this, to be louder, complete with burbles, burps and pops on upshifts and downshifts. Someone here had suggested disconnecting the exhaust valves, I might try that before making any cat back changes. I got mine with a minimum of options, basically the diff and nappa leather, along with a very few small options. I had zero interest in the Virtual Cockpit, as I know myself and know I would set it in the large tach mode, and just leave it there. My only regret re the options is not getting the steering, but I can live with it as it sits. Had Audi offered an exhaust option, I most definitely would have gone with that.

I keep the car in sport/dynamic all the time, as I feel that is the recipe for getting the most out of this car.

I feel the car is too nanny oriented, and have a particular dislike for the Presense. On three occasions, the system has activated when there has been nothing to set it off. Twice while backing up, the third time as I approached a small bump in the road, one which I have gone over many times. The traffic was moving fine, the car just decided the small bump was something that needed to be addressed. When the system activates, you know it as it brakes instantly and violently, and you know and feel it big time. I since have set the mode to LATE, and hopefully this will mitigate what I see as an inconvenience. It can be turned off, but defaults to the ON position with each new start. Also, I discovered, the speech dialog system will not work with the car in park, if you have fully turned the Presense off. Not sure if that is a glitch, or it occurs in every car.

This car, as was the case with the S3, with a manual trans, would be world class for the category.

I would love to hear any comments regarding the exhaust, and my choice of exhaust aftermarket manufacturers.

Thank you........
Old 12-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anything positive with the switch from the S3 to the S4? Seems like overall you’re not too excited. I originally planned on getting a new S3 but took an ‘18 S4 out and fell in love with the refined interior and overall feel.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jezek
Anything positive with the switch from the S3 to the S4? Seems like overall you’re not too excited. I originally planned on getting a new S3 but took an ‘18 S4 out and fell in love with the refined interior and overall feel.
I think this just shows how subjective and personal these assessments can be, as I can agree with only a couple items here. I am enjoying the BO sound system, and would rate it a solid 9/10.

The exhaust sound in dynamic with all valves open is right where I want it, and it is nice to have the ability to go quieter for the neighbors in comfort mode. Nothing wrong with wanting it louder, but in the Prestige with dual pane glass and the excellent interior Audi has crafted, it would be counter-productive to my desires to make things noisier.

As the years go by, I understand less and less the want by 5-10% of some drivers for manuals. There is a reason they are practically gone at this point; and Audi didn't include the option for this model because the vocal niche claiming they wanted them weren't turning up to actually buy them. I feel if a person thinks they need a manual to enjoy driving, they are missing out on the heart of what the driving experience actually is. Having driven every type of transmission on the Nurburgring, I find the experience to be more enjoyable when I'm not forced to row gears. The drivers of Ferraris and Lambos flying around the course also seem to enjoy things just fine without manuals. The issue I take is not with a person's individual desire for a manual (everyone is entitled to want things "their way"), but with any idiosyncratic claim that a car only becomes "world class" with an anachronistic transmission.

Same goes for the Virtual Cockpit. Audi's slogan is Vorsprung durch Technik, meaning Advancement through Technology, not "maintaining the status quo." Jet cockpits started transforming long ago to digital displays (I've been flying civilian and military aircraft for 24 years), because they are so much more versatile and dynamic, and enhance pilot/driver sensory cognition. I have to tell you, stepping from the jet into my Prestige S4 is an interesting experience, because it feels comfortably familiar with the HUD and digital displays. Even resting my hand on the shifter feels like a natural transition from where my hand rests on the throttle quadrant. Audi got so many things right with this B9 iteration, particularly from a human factors and ergonomics aspect.

Driving in Sport/Dynamic; agreed this is a must if a driver wishes to tap into the true nature of the car. In recent years, D mode for European manufacturers has been altered to become a setting used to pass emissions and fuel consumption testing before release. It's fine to use this mode if that is also your goal, but has the effect of mischaractarizing the car to potential buyers or reviewers if that is the only mode used... it idles low, upshifts early, and opens the throttle casually to sip fuel.

I won't go into Pre-Sense (or any of the other driver assistant features), because once again Vorsprung durch Technik. However, just like taking the dynamic steering option (which was mixed for car reviewers that drove it ONE time), this is something that takes study and training to develop as an operator. Once a person goes properly through this training or transition period, they will feel somewhat annoyed going to a car without those features and be glad their car has them.

As always, personal opinions are personal, simply providing counterpoints to what seems to be a generally negative review.

My first S4 test drive was in a no-options Premium+, and was pleased with the engine and build quality, but otherwise underwhelmed until I drove a Prestige with more options closer to the designers intended product. This S4 (as configured) is hands down the best car I have ever owned or driven at this price bracket.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 12-11-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So interesting enough, I realized my S4 did not come with the spoiler for some reason (guess they forgot) so they ordered one and installed it. I actually got to take out an S3 and also a Q5 as loaners and I'm soooooo glad I didn't go with the S3. After owning the S4 for 2 months and then going into the S3...it just seems like the last gen in terms of the interior (dash mainly) and some of the additional features. And in terms of the size, it was super cramped inside so from another person like yourself that was considering an S3, I'm glad I went with the S4.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Appreciate the replies. Definitely leaning toward the S4 at this point. I’m going to drive them back to back before making a final decision. I prefer the exterior styling of the S3 but I think as a daily driver the S4 just makes more sense. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I moved from a 2015 S3 to 2018 S4 and am wowed by the S4 in every dimension: Fit, finish, technology, interior, power, handling, etc.

The biggest difference is how planted and neutral the car feels, with incredible power delivery.

To be fair, my S4 is fully loaded, including the sport differential, while my S3 had no options.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlove
I moved from a 2015 S3 to 2018 S4 and am wowed by the S4 in every dimension: Fit, finish, technology, interior, power, handling, etc.

The biggest difference is how planted and neutral the car feels, with incredible power delivery.

To be fair, my S4 is fully loaded, including the sport differential, while my S3 had no options.
Yah this is my first Audi and I'm also wowed by the S4 in every possible way. Everything you listed I feel the same about. When I got in the S3, I just felt like I was taking a step backwards. Even though I don't have the SD, the car also feels planted and hugs the road.

Appreciate the replies. Definitely leaning toward the S4 at this point. I’m going to drive them back to back before making a final decision. I prefer the exterior styling of the S3 but I think as a daily driver the S4 just makes more sense. Thanks again.
See if they'll let you take each one home for the night so you can drive them around (maybe after putting down a deposit).

Also, this is just my view, but think about the virtual cockpit & if you really need it. I didn't get it because I love the dual analog gauges (fills the void) & the combo LED screen in the middle.

After getting the S3 and Q5 with the VC as loaners and having them for 3 days, I can tell you I do not regret not getting the VC...it's a big amount of $$$ saved and again after using them for 3 days, I didn't need anything the VC offered.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
I think this just shows how subjective and personal these assessments can be, as I can agree with only a couple items here. I am enjoying the BO sound system, and would rate it a solid 9/10.

The exhaust sound in dynamic with all valves open is right where I want it, and it is nice to have the ability to go quieter for the neighbors in comfort mode. Nothing wrong with wanting it louder, but in the Prestige with dual pane glass and the excellent interior Audi has crafted, it would be counter-productive to my desires to make things noisier.

As the years go by, I understand less and less the want by 5-10% of some drivers for manuals. There is a reason they are practically gone at this point; and Audi didn't include the option for this model because the vocal niche claiming they wanted them weren't turning up to actually buy them. I feel if a person thinks they need a manual to enjoy driving, they are missing out on the heart of what the driving experience actually is. Having driven every type of transmission on the Nurburgring, I find the experience to be more enjoyable when I'm not forced to row gears. The drivers of Ferraris and Lambos flying around the course also seem to enjoy things just fine without manuals. The issue I take is not with a person's individual desire for a manual (everyone is entitled to want things "their way"), but with any idiosyncratic claim that a car only becomes "world class" with an anachronistic transmission.

Same goes for the Virtual Cockpit. Audi's slogan is Vorsprung durch Technik, meaning Advancement through Technology, not "maintaining the status quo." Jet cockpits started transforming long ago to digital displays (I've been flying civilian and military aircraft for 24 years), because they are so much more versatile and dynamic, and enhance pilot/driver sensory cognition. I have to tell you, stepping from the jet into my Prestige S4 is an interesting experience, because it feels comfortably familiar with the HUD and digital displays. Even resting my hand on the shifter feels like a natural transition from where my hand rests on the throttle quadrant. Audi got so many things right with this B9 iteration, particularly from a human factors and ergonomics aspect.

Driving in Sport/Dynamic; agreed this is a must if a driver wishes to tap into the true nature of the car. In recent years, D mode for European manufacturers has been altered to become a setting used to pass emissions and fuel consumption testing before release. It's fine to use this mode if that is also your goal, but has the effect of mischaractarizing the car to potential buyers or reviewers if that is the only mode used... it idles low, upshifts early, and opens the throttle casually to sip fuel.

I won't go into Pre-Sense (or any of the other driver assistant features), because once again Vorsprung durch Technik. However, just like taking the dynamic steering option (which was mixed for car reviewers that drove it ONE time), this is something that takes study and training to develop as an operator. Once a person goes properly through this training or transition period, they will feel somewhat annoyed going to a car without those features and be glad their car has them.

As always, personal opinions are personal, simply providing counterpoints to what seems to be a generally negative review.

My first S4 test drive was in a no-options Premium+, and was pleased with the engine and build quality, but otherwise underwhelmed until I drove a Prestige with more options closer to the designers intended product. This S4 (as configured) is hands down the best car I have ever owned or driven at this price bracket.

Absolutely stunning. A black B9 S4 is definitely a sight to behold. Very rare where I live.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13

Please describe these wheels: Audi option? Aftermarket? Sizes avail -- or, point us to a URL to get more info about them. Your S4 is beautiful x3 (or x10!)

I highly agree with your comments. I would like an MMI setting called "stealth" -- because there are times when I think the S4 does not provide ample isolation from the engine/exhaust sounds. There were four of us in the car yesterday and the sound of the exhaust was just a bit too much for conversation. Mine, like yours, is Prestige and I had set the ADS for "comfort" in an effort to quiet the exhaust sounds. Frankly, I wonder how much quieter REAR dual pane windows would make the thing. I have replaced the tires already (at less than 9K miles) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which are quieter than the OEM Pirelli P7's, but I'd love the ability to have dynamic mode be sporty (i.e., louder) and comfort mode to be A8 quiet. This S4 is quiet, but I still find the exhaust note intrusive under situations I call "full house." Perhaps noise canceling tech could be deployed.

I'd also like the heads-up display to be customizable in the MMI to add/subtract/change what is seen in the HUD.

Also, getting the S4 without the virtual cockpit makes no sense -- even if the central tach/speedo is set and forgot. The virtual cockpit is a huge step forward. It sounds, almost, like the OP would have preferred the last B8 S4 (which could have had the stick-shift) over this B9.

This S4 is the best Audi (of 33) I've ever had -- it is also the best car I've ever had. At this price, with this content (Prestige + DAP + upgraded leather), despite some of my minor, minor critical comments, above, nothing I've test driven (and I've driven virtually everything that claims to compete) even comes close.

Again, beautiful S4 -- love your (and my) red seats, too.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 12-12-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Please describe these wheels: Audi option? Aftermarket? Sizes avail -- or, point us to a URL to get more info about them. Your S4 is beautiful x3 (or x10!)
Thanks, Mark, that's high praise! I have waited a long time for this car, and love it.

I ordered the wheels and tires as a set from Tirerack, as this is way cheaper than buying anything from Audi or "on the economy" in Germany. I spent a couple days looking at everything that would fit this S4 before committing to these, hoping they would pair well with my colors.

They are Andros R10, size 18x8, offset 35. They offer two color choices, black (mine) or matte graphite, in either 18" or 19". The tires are Michelin X-Ice XI3, 245/40R18.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...2FBlack+Accent

Last edited by dbuxton13; 12-12-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Three weeks with the new S4