Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Parking sensors in winter

Old 12-10-2017, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking sensors in winter

Interested whether people have experienced the front parking sensors go off in the winter time because ice has covered them. It finally snowed here in MD and noticed that at random times at slow speeds then parking sensors would turn on and think that something was in front of the car when nothing was. Not a big deal as one can just press the button to turn it off. But annoying. I was say the entire front was covered with ice and snow today.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yes...

Yes, I'm NJ and with the last snow storm my front sensor went crazy, every few minutes... I had to stop and clear the snow off the sensors.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orenal
Yes, I'm NJ and with the last snow storm my front sensor went crazy, every few minutes... I had to stop and clear the snow off the sensors.
Yes, it’s normal, same on my 12 Lexus GX460, but easier to shut them off fast vs. the Q7.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather they went off when covered with snow to remind me that they need cleaning, than bump into something because I hadn't noticed they were covered over.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Alex313
I'd rather they went off when covered with snow to remind me that they need cleaning, than bump into something because I hadn't noticed they were covered over.
Agreed. A couple of times it would go off when you could at least fit another car between me and the one in front. I didn't mind just pressing the P button to switch it off.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My front parking sensors don't turn on automatically during normal driving... For my front sensors to activate I need to either: 1. Have the car in reverse. 2: Have had the car in reverse and not traveled over 10 (or 15) mph. 3. Have pressed the parking button.

I've actually wondered how to change the setting so the front sensors would automatically activate when approaching something too closely during normal driving for when you do go to park, but this would be a good reason to not want that feature as well...
Old 12-11-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor K
My front parking sensors don't turn on automatically during normal driving... For my front sensors to activate I need to either: 1. Have the car in reverse. 2: Have had the car in reverse and not traveled over 10 (or 15) mph. 3. Have pressed the parking button.

I've actually wondered how to change the setting so the front sensors would automatically activate when approaching something too closely during normal driving for when you do go to park, but this would be a good reason to not want that feature as well...
Earlier build '17s (up to July or August '16) weren't programmed to activate the front sensors automatically. You have a couple of options to make this happen: Program it yourself with VCDS/OBD Eleven, or talk to your dealer.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Trevor K

I have an '18 so a little different. My fronts turn on when I approach an object under a certain speed (I'm not sure the speed as I don't pay attention but maybe 5mph).
Old 12-11-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Waxing sensors before and/or during winter time reduces number of false beeps quite noticeably - even if wax has no way to cure properly due to cold temps...
Old 12-11-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
Waxing sensors before and/or during winter time reduces number of false beeps quite noticeably - even if wax has no way to cure properly due to cold temps...
Never thought about that. I’ll try it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking sensors in winter