Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Winter Tires and S Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Tires and S Sport Package

2 different things...

i have a 2018 S5 Coupe but I purchased it without the s sport package and I feel like I’m missing out and that I should’ve just went for it. Is there really that big of a difference between an S5 with the s sport package and one without it?

The next thing is I purchased my car with the 18” wheels and all season tires. Do you think these would be fine for a Michigan winter or should I buy winter tires. Also if I should buy a set of winter tires, which kind should I get?

thanks
Old 12-13-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramothepharaoh
2 different things...

i have a 2018 S5 Coupe but I purchased it without the s sport package and I feel like I’m missing out and that I should’ve just went for it. Is there really that big of a difference between an S5 with the s sport package and one without it?

The next thing is I purchased my car with the 18” wheels and all season tires. Do you think these would be fine for a Michigan winter or should I buy winter tires. Also if I should buy a set of winter tires, which kind should I get?

thanks
So, since you don't have it there's no difference. Seriously, just enjoy the car! (honestly though I did the same thing with dynamic steering, but I totally love what I have).

All seasons are probably fine for normal snow driving. I would only worry about getting snows if you have summer performance tires or plan to do a lot of heavy snow driving.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I'd go with winter tires...

thanks
Especially if you're planning on keeping the car for several years. That would allow you to put proper performance tires on your rims when the all seasons wear out: this will have more impact on performance than the sports package. Tire Rack has a 17" winter wheel and tire combo for less than $1200.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

2 different things...

thanks
You'll be fine with the all-seasons. I'm in Wisconsin and had all seasons on my 13' A5 (18" wheels) for three years and they we're great until the last year when the tires themselves were on their last leg. Granted I never went into the deep woods but city driving, even when we got dumped on with over a foot of snow the car never got stuck and less than a few inches it handled like a dream. The Quattro is amazing! I went from a AWD Ford Explorer to the A5 and while the A5 wasn't as good as the AWD Explorer is was darn close. This truly is a year around "sports" car.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with using all seasons in winter is not getting stuck, it's the stopping distance, especially going downhill on a snow/ice covered road.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:53 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stankia
The problem with using all seasons in winter is not getting stuck, it's the stopping distance, especially going downhill on a snow/ice covered road.
also, traction going up inclines
Old 12-13-2017, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

You should get a proper set of snow tires. A/S doesn’t stand for All Season but Always Shi##y as they aren’t very good at anything.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the sport package on my s5 coupe. On a track with rear differential, you may be able to tell the difference. Other than that, just enjoy your S5. 18' A/S should be ok unless you are constantly driving in the snowy road. Just remember you do not have the same traction when the weather gets cold/freezing.

Or you can put on a set of performance winter tires on your 18', then buy a set of 19 or 20 with summer tires on it.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=181
Old 12-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No question, having a set of winter and summer tires is the best option, but for many it's simply not possible.

Originally Posted by sworksone
You should get a proper set of snow tires. A/S doesn’t stand for All Season but Always Shi##y as they aren’t very good at anything.
I beg to differ on this statement, all seasons are good at both, just not great at either. Good enough for most of the population.

I never had any issues with stopping, starting, going up hills, going down hills that were covered in several inches of snow on my Conti ExtremeContact DWS06. I love the quattro system on our cars! I have a steep driveway and the only time my A5 had a problem was when it was covered in a few inches of ice and my wife's car with winter's on it couldn't get up the driveway either.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stratman22
I beg to differ on this statement, all seasons are good at both, just not great at either. Good enough for most of the population.
I said they aren’t very good at anything and you said they’re not great at either and you beg to differ. If you live somewhere like the OP (Michigan) you shouldn’t temp fate with all season tires. Winter tires are something you don’t need until you end up in a ditch or ram into something/ someone and then immediately reconsider. The performance difference is significant and quantified on snow and ice especially in cold temperatures.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires and S Sport Package