Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Buying New Audi SQ5 without a reliable dealer nearby

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 11:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Buying New Audi SQ5 without a reliable dealer nearby

I have done a lot of research and have settled, based in part on the feedback of this forum, on buying my first Audi: a 2018 SQ5 Prestige. My local dealer is Audi Spokane and is 1 1/2 hours away, but since they do not negotiate price (Autonation) I was getting ready to shop a 500 mile radius. In the process, I started to read dealership reviews and noticed that my local dealership is awful. The stories are truly horrendous - especially the service stories. Based on what I've read, I wouldn't even take it there for an oil change.

This has made me wonder if it is a terrible idea to get an Audi based on where I live. The next nearest dealer is 3 1/2 hours away (Audi Richland). It is a new dealership with reviews that aren't great either. It looks like the closest reliable dealership is in the Seattle area - almost 6 hours away.

The local MB dealer is reliable, but I never considered MB. All the features of the Audi (tech, comfort, adaptive air suspension, etc.) are a major draw. Plus, I like Audi being understated for the crowd I work with (showing up with a MB would spell ostentatious). I've read the posts comparing the SQ5 to the GLC 43 - I would use Android Auto - but it doesn't sound as integrated as with the SQ5. I hate run flats (and drive my current car without a spare because of it). The GLC 63 looks very appealing and probably would make me forget about the SQ5 - but it looks to be at at least 10k more with the same features.

I've never owned an Audi and am curious what you would do. Seems crazy not to have a dealer nearby. I've got a good local mechanic - but he highly recommends to stay away from Audi (and all all German cars for that matter).
Old 12-13-2017, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Listen to your mechanic given the lack of dealership support.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:27 AM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m in a similar position (closest dealer is 4.5 hours away) and I’ve gone ahead and purchased a ‘18 Q5 Prestige. Plenty of people drive Audis where I live.

1. Your mechanic simply doesn’t want to work on an Audi I guess. Audi currently has one of the highest reliability ratings from Consumer Reports (the highest among all German Manufacturers).

2. Most of the routine maintenance (oil and other fluid changes, brakes, etc) can be easily managed by any competent mechanic. Find another if yours isn’t.

3. Anything that will require warranty work will need to be done at a dealership. Plan a nice road trip. My closest dealer has over 150 loaner Audis, many good hotels, and great restaurants (SF Bay Area). If that is not feasible, use AAA Premier (200 miles free towing) to get your Audi to the dealer or pay a “transport company” which is far more affordable than a tow truck.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TYJ
I’m in a similar position (closest dealer is 4.5 hours away) and I’ve gone ahead and purchased a ‘18 Q5 Prestige. Plenty of people drive Audis where I live.

1. Your mechanic simply doesn’t want to work on an Audi I guess. Audi currently has one of the highest reliability ratings from Consumer Reports (the highest among all German Manufacturers).

2. Most of the routine maintenance (oil and other fluid changes, brakes, etc) can be easily managed by any competent mechanic. Find another if yours isn’t.

3. Anything that will require warranty work will need to be done at a dealership. Plan a nice road trip. My closest dealer has over 150 loaner Audis, many good hotels, and great restaurants (SF Bay Area). If that is not feasible, use AAA Premier (200 miles free towing) to get your Audi to the dealer or pay a “transport company” which is far more affordable than a tow truck.
Thanks for the suggestions. It helps give me some hope. Me mechanic is only warning me about the costs of preparing Audis. He has seen quite a few as Audis past reliability was not great. He can do good non warranty work - but as you say all warranty work will need to be done by a dealer. I will look into the feasibility of a transport company for emergency work. I suppose it could also be an excuse for us to spend more leisure time in Seattle area and enjoy the car on the way.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Thanks for the suggestions. It helps give me some hope. Me mechanic is only warning me about the costs of preparing Audis. He has seen quite a few as Audis past reliability was not great. He can do good non warranty work - but as you say all warranty work will need to be done by a dealer. I will look into the feasibility of a transport company for emergency work. I suppose it could also be an excuse for us to spend more leisure time in Seattle area and enjoy the car on the way.
I just bought a 2018 Q5 Technik, closest dealer in Canada is 7 hours away or I can go to one in the states that is 6.5 hours away. We have a good Volkswagen here that can do some limited work on the car, I will be going there for my oil changes. As for if there’s emergency warranty work, Audi will tow the car to the closest dealer. They also will reimburse you up to $500 for your troubles depending on the situation. I see a lot of Audi’s on the road around where I live, most people have had great experiences and if it’s minor warranty work just plan a trip to the big cities to get done.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Audi Tri-Cities (Richland) has very favorable reviews, from what I recall. All 5-star on google. When I was searching sort of OR, WA and ID they came up a couple times with units in stock that almost matched what I wanted. Was willing to drive for it. But I have heard Audi Spokane sucks.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:41 PM
V0X
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Services are every 12 months or 10,000 miles. I wouldn’t sweat the dealer distance
Old 12-13-2017, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kbcanada
Audi will tow the car to the closest dealer.
Aye, that is the rub. Audi Spokane is the closest dealer.
Originally Posted by Kbcanada
They also will reimburse you up to $500 for your troubles depending on the situation. I see a lot of Audi’s on the road around where I live, most people have had great experiences and if it’s minor warranty work just plan a trip to the big cities to get done.
Thanks for sharing your perspective and example. As long as the need for service is not show stopping, I can see coordinating the work needed to be done with fun city time.
Originally Posted by Rob O
Audi Tri-Cities (Richland) has very favorable reviews, from what I recall. All 5-star on google. When I was searching sort of OR, WA and ID they came up a couple times with units in stock that almost matched what I wanted. Was willing to drive for it. But I have heard Audi Spokane sucks.
Audi Tri-Cities wasn't flat out bad - but I could only find a very small sampling of reviews (1 positive on cars.com, 1 positive on edmunds, 1 negative out of 3 on yelp) but I hadn't seen the 16 positive reviews on google. Thanks for pointing these out. 3.5 hours is definitely better than 6 and this might be a decent option - especially if they offer loaners.

With all the negative reviews I wish Audi would lean on Audi Spokane to meet a higher level of service and professionalism (solely based on the stories).

Originally Posted by V0X
Services are every 12 months or 10,000 miles. I wouldn’t sweat the dealer distance
I didn't realize the service interval was 10k. Needing a dealer service only once a year is a major help (as long as the car is reliable).

I think I can relax now and get back to finding models to test drive and finding a good price. I am not in a major rush (my head says). Really, my only other major concern is the whole 2020 Google Earth thing - and whether I should wait for a 2019 model. But since I will be an Android Auto user (and not pay for Audi services), its mainly the principle of the thing - although I would love a free service built into the VC.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood

I think I can relax now and get back to finding models to test drive and finding a good price. I am not in a major rush (my head says). Really, my only other major concern is the whole 2020 Google Earth thing - and whether I should wait for a 2019 model. But since I will be an Android Auto user (and not pay for Audi services), its mainly the principle of the thing - although I would love a free service built into the VC.

Thanks everyone.
Before you commit yourself to believing Android Auto will be all you need, keep in mind that it's a half-baked feature with Virtual Cockpit. For example, if you use the built-in NAV for directions you get turn-by-turn notifications in the instrument cluster and HUD (if equipped). You can also view the map in the instrument cluster, versus the main display (or both). With Android Auto, you can only view maps (and, indeed, any of the AA screens) in the main NAV display; they do not function nor appear in the VC (instrument cluster). Also, you lose the aforementioned turn-by-turn notifications. You also can't view (or have audible) text messages on the screen, which is stupid; my F150's Sync system will read incoming messages while in motion. I was excited about having AA/CP in my next car ... but find myself indifferent to it in the Audi. In fact, I don't even use it because it disrupts what's great about VC just enough to not make it worth it.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For the amount that I use maps, I cannot justify paying for Audi Connect. I've been presuming that the VC will not show any maps (including 2d) without the subscription - correct? So without the subscription, my understanding is that google maps on the center console via android auto is the only way I'm going to get any level of integrated maps. This is sufficient for my current needs, although I see it certainly takes away the main appeal of the VC. If integration with AA was somehow going to get better with MY2019, I'd consider waiting. If I really don't like AA or I'm going on a cross country trip, I still have the option of forking out the $30/month subscription fee - although then I'd really grumble because of google earth going away.

Quick Reply: Buying New Audi SQ5 without a reliable dealer nearby