Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 Tires Wearing Badly

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Tires Wearing Badly

Hi all,

I had a question for everyone that I have been digging to find information on here, but can't seem to come up with a solid answer.
My 2017 Q7 Prestige currently runs with 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde's (run flat) and I was seeing significant wear at 9,000 miles. Now at 19,000 they are getting close to shot.
I am very surprised to only get 19,000 out of these tires and after some digging, there appear to only be 5 tire options available for this model (first time replacing tires on this car). Of those choices, the Goodyear Eagle Sport 285/40R20's do not have any reviews anywhere that I saw (although it would appear people are happy with them here); and of the continental options crosscontact LX has mediocre reviews and the contisportcontact doesn't have any.

Also I have seen reviews on tirerack about the Pirelli Winters being a great tire, even as a year round tire. Anyone have any feedback on that tire as an all year tire (even though its a winter)?

So my questions to you all are:

- What tires are you using and what wear are you seeing (how many miles have you gone)?
- What tires do you recommend?
- Can you drive the Pirelli Winter's year round?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like a common issue, hopefully this can be addressed soon.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2937539/page2/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ering-2921226/
Old 12-18-2017, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 20inch Goodyears. Was getting some wear on outside edge of front tires early in in ownership. So, made sure to keep them aired up at 35 psi. And, I have been rotating every 5000 miles. I am at 15,000 miles and tires are looking pretty good, I suspect I'll get another 15k out of them.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by InkBlueQ7
I have the 20inch Goodyears. Was getting some wear on outside edge of front tires early in in ownership. So, made sure to keep them aired up at 35 psi. And, I have been rotating every 5000 miles. I am at 15,000 miles and tires are looking pretty good, I suspect I'll get another 15k out of them.
Do you need to calibrate sensors after rotation? Are you using the dealer or a third party for the rotation?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No calibration. Rotating myself. Front to back.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InkBlueQ7
Same issue here! outside edges were wearing pretty bad and realized that all my tires were at 25psi! The dealerships never caught it during my routine maintenance. Im currently at 33K miles and about 6/32" tread.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by manguyen
Same issue here! outside edges were wearing pretty bad and realized that all my tires were at 25psi! The dealerships never caught it during my routine maintenance. Im currently at 33K miles and about 6/32" tread.
I guess it was not calibrated properly. These new tire pressure sensors (hint: there aren't any) don't monitor for the proper PSI. I might be wrong but my understanding is that you have to inflate them to proper PSI, measure to make sure they area all according to tire manufacturer's specifications (front and rear might be different psi depending on model) and then go into MMI and run tire pressure calibration. Only then if it goes below certain psi, your car will warn you about the low pressure. If you make the mistake of calibrating it at lower psi's, I believe it will not warn you unless it's flat or deflated a lot. Any tire professions can chime in?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wasn’t told by the dealership that if the tires all deflated at the same rate, you wouldn’t get a low tire pressure alert.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I guess it was not calibrated properly. These new tire pressure sensors (hint: there aren't any) don't monitor for the proper PSI. I might be wrong but my understanding is that you have to inflate them to proper PSI, measure to make sure they area all according to tire manufacturer's specifications (front and rear might be different psi depending on model) and then go into MMI and run tire pressure calibration. Only then if it goes below certain psi, your car will warn you about the low pressure. If you make the mistake of calibrating it at lower psi's, I believe it will not warn you unless it's flat or deflated a lot. Any tire professions can chime in?
That's pretty much how I understand it as well.

I don't know for sure though if the system compares the pressure of an individual tire to the others to determine a loss of pressure or the loss of pressure of a tire compared to when the system was calibrated/reset.

Now, if the system was already calibrated at a pressure that was much too low to begin with, neither of the two option would have helped much until there was another drastic pressure drop in at least one of the tires.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Polonium1
Do you need to calibrate sensors after rotation? Are you using the dealer or a third party for the rotation?
There are no TPMS in the Q7.

Quick Reply: Q7 Tires Wearing Badly