Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Pre Sense Success! and OC Collision Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre Sense Success! and OC Collision Question

Just want to say my 2017 Q7 Pre-Sense saved my family's lives last night from a DUI driver running a red. The system pumped the brakes and fired the bags just before we t-boned him and we walked away just fine. I am still not sure if I actually did anything myself to lessen the impact, it happened so fast. Am so thankful Audi's safety systems work as advertised. So thankful. The Q7 is a tank and demolished half the offending Acura TSX. Thankfully no one got hurt in the Acura.

As a follow-on, does anyone have experience/advice with Audi-authorized collision shops and how they interact with insurance? Particularly in the Orange County, SoCal area. The is my first accident ever in 29 years of driving (knock on Audi wood), we are visiting from the Bay Area and leaving the car is going to be a leap of faith on some level. Am hoping maybe get the car totaled so we can get back to the same peace-of-mind with a new vehicle, since the all the front-end sensors and electronic systems are toast.

Last edited by wookiee; 12-27-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Really glad it helped you guys avoid potential serious harm! The MLB platform excels in protecting its occupants which you also had in your favor.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear that you were involved in an accident, but happy to know that everyone is safe and the Q7 performed as described. Good luck with the repairs and wish your Q7 a quick recovery.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

happened to me last friday.. for me the pre-sense kicked in when the traffic in front of me suddenly brakes to a halt from 50mph, so pre-sense avoided front collision, but i wasn't so lucky in the back.. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...today-2939464/
Old 12-28-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wookiee
Just want to say my 2017 Q7 Pre-Sense saved my family's lives last night from a DUI driver running a red. The system pumped the brakes and fired the bags just before we t-boned him and we walked away just fine. I am still not sure if I actually did anything myself to lessen the impact, it happened so fast. Am so thankful Audi's safety systems work as advertised. So thankful. The Q7 is a tank and demolished half the offending Acura TSX. Thankfully no one got hurt in the Acura.

As a follow-on, does anyone have experience/advice with Audi-authorized collision shops and how they interact with insurance? Particularly in the Orange County, SoCal area. The is my first accident ever in 29 years of driving (knock on Audi wood), we are visiting from the Bay Area and leaving the car is going to be a leap of faith on some level. Am hoping maybe get the car totaled so we can get back to the same peace-of-mind with a new vehicle, since the all the front-end sensors and electronic systems are toast.
Glad you are OK.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad you ok man.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're ok - amazing technology in these cars. I had someone hit me not too long ago and I was advised by Audi to take it up to Tustin to Sterling Collision. When you go there ask to have a tour in back where the shop is. It's like walking into a high end car dealership. Our Audi's aren't cheap, but it won't be near most of what they work on in there. They did great work on my car. And they are Audi certified.

Sterling Collision Center - Collision Repair Tustin & Newport Beach, CA
Old 01-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Banned

Glad you are ok. Most of the time they will total a vehicle if the airbags went off. My Lexus save me, I am hoping my Q7 will do the same. It is amazing how it all works.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad you're ok, man.

Drunk drivers suck.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Glad you are ok. An authorized shop won't interact any different with insurance. In CA you have the right to take your car to any repair shop of your choice. The insurance adjuster will do an estimate and if necessary the shop will do supplemental if they find more damage. That's all provided the car isn't gonna be totaled in the first place and I'm also guessing it will be totaled given the airbags deployed and you probably have frame damage. But just in case, Audi lists authorized repair shops on their website.

https://www.audiusa.com/help/collision-repair

If the car gets totaled, the biggest headache will be making sure you get fair compensation for it from the insurance. You'll have to research what your car's worth and negotiate with the drunk A-hole's insurance. Hope he's gonna get the book thrown at him, and he isn't an illegal w/o insurance.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-20-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Pre Sense Success! and OC Collision Question