A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Winter driving - again.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Winter driving - again.

I posted this on the Allroad section, but figured I'd post here also.
We are in the middle of a windy freezing snow storm here in NE NJ. Wind blowing like hell and ambient temps at 20F. On;y a few inches of snow - not much to plow, but what is there has ice underneath. So I had to take a short trip to bring my wife's Subaru to get her tires swapped for snows - and I'm glad I don't have to drive too much - any real distance, in this weather. Going slooooow - on an empty street, I hit the brakes and you just feel the ABS kickin' in. I am also getting my new snow tires (Blizzaks) put on later today and hope they give better traction than my Michelin Pilots. I'm sure they will, but snows or not, low speeds and distance are the keywords here.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

It's quattro time!

My old B8.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A4Driver
It's quattro time!

My old B8.
Yep and I would never consider a car w/o all wheel drive and I'm glad I am getting those snows on today - wish I would have done it sooner though. But it's not the heavy snow I worry about so much today - it's the solid ice underneath the 2 inches of snow.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm out on Eastern Long Island, getting hammered out here, the wind is whipping! but it will make clearing the cars off that much easier... (sorry for the poor quality pic, took it from the comfort of my living room)
Attached Thumbnails Winter driving - again.-img_5379.jpg  
Old 01-04-2018, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, you guys are getting so much snow compared to us here in Alberta, Canada! Barely any snow left on the roads.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Been driving my Q5 loaner in the snow as well. Awaiting a new 2018/2019 Allroad as a lemon law replacement. The q5 isn't the same...... 5+ weeks
Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Allroading17
Been driving my Q5 loaner in the snow as well. Awaiting a new 2018/2019 Allroad as a lemon law replacement. The q5 isn't the same...... 5+ weeks
When is the Allroad due in? "The q5 isn't the same.....5 weeks?" - what do you mean?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Wow, you guys are getting so much snow compared to us here in Alberta, Canada! Barely any snow left on the roads.

NYC and east are getting appreciable amounts of snow. NE NJ - a few inches - but roads are iced up pretty badly.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
When is the Allroad due in? "The q5 isn't the same.....5 weeks?" - what do you mean?

I had an a3 for about 4 weeks. Picked the car up and the VC, MMI had nothing. No sound no screens nothing. Also while driving home I had a low oil pressure light, Air suspension failure and a couple other things. The adaptive suspension wasn't active and the car rode like shi*. Been there a week now and no response. Hell I wouldn't know whats wrong with it.

Pending an order of a 2018/2019 Allroad from AOA. In the mean time I have a 2018 Q5 which I honestly don't like at all. It feels slower then the allroad, more bouncy, and brakes aren't the greatest. The Mexican build quality seems ok, not like my car, but hey it drives and WORKS!

Going all out on the replacement, Audi Exclusive color and interior.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, just checking back here after I had my winter tires - Blizzaks installed. And I can say without hesitation - good snow tires make a heap of difference in road performance, safety and braking in snowy/icy conditions. If you drive in an area that experiences these conditions, do yourself a favor and get a good set of snow tires. Where earlier today, the Allroad seem to drift a bit, the snow tires eliminated that feeling and inspired confidence.It's a worthy investment.

Quick Reply: Winter driving - again.