Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Day vs. Night changes on nav map

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Day vs. Night changes on nav map

Has anyone else noticed this?
I believe that the day vs. night mode for the navigation map is controlled by the photo-eye at the top of the windshield. Ours seem to like night-mode even when it's reasonably bright outside.
So, I push the speech button and tell it "day map" and it promptly changes to that... but then the system in now in manual mode and at night we have to tell it "night map."
I wonder if this is something that can be adjusted or re-set (even with OBDeleven). It's annoying.
I get that a not-very-bright-day might produce a night map, but for us it takes a VERY bright day to get a day map. Odd.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same problem in my 2017 Q7 Prestige. It seems like the map and also the headlights want to think that it's night even during the daylight. This forces the map into night mode and turns on the headlights. If you turn off the headlights manually, you'll get the "please turn on the headlights" warning. You can, as you pointed out, manually turn the map to daylight mode as well. But then you have to manually turn it back to night when the sun goes down. It seems to be especially bad about staying night mode if you start the car in the garage where it is dark and then pull out into the sunlight. It's like it can't transition into daylight mode once it starts in night mode. I think the sensor may be bad in my vehicle as it began doing this only a few days ago. Then again, I'm not sure if it's because it's winter and the sun angle is low. Maybe it's the extreme cold? But I'm guessing the sensor is bad. I called the dealer about it today. I'll let you know if the dealer provides any information.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Boink, here's a link to another threat discussing this topic on the S3 model. One thing I haven't tried is the headlight settings discussed in the threat. There is talk that changing your headlight settings/sensivity will cause them to come on when it is lighter/darker, depending on the setting. Since the headlights and the day/night map features are linked, this would fix our problem. If it doesn't, I'd have the sensor looked at. Will report back once I try to find the headlight setting adjustment later today.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2911426/page2/
Old 01-04-2018, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B1eddieB2
Boink, here's a link to another threat discussing this topic on the S3 model. One thing I haven't tried is the headlight settings discussed in the threat. There is talk that changing your headlight settings/sensivity will cause them to come on when it is lighter/darker, depending on the setting. Since the headlights and the day/night map features are linked, this would fix our problem. If it doesn't, I'd have the sensor looked at. Will report back once I try to find the headlight setting adjustment later today.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...2911426/page2/
Didn't see much in the other thread.
As reported, when one tries to manually override by turning the lights from AUTO to OFF, you get a warning to turn the lights on! The only way to manually override that I can see (that is easy) is to speak to it "Day Map" or "Night Map." I'm pretty sure this had nothing do with rain (though it's often rainy here) because it's done this on a fairly bright sunny day. And, yes, because we usually start our car in the garage, it defaults to night mode!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Boink
Didn't see much in the other thread.
As reported, when one tries to manually override by turning the lights from AUTO to OFF, you get a warning to turn the lights on! The only way to manually override that I can see (that is easy) is to speak to it "Day Map" or "Night Map." I'm pretty sure this had nothing do with rain (though it's often rainy here) because it's done this on a fairly bright sunny day. And, yes, because we usually start our car in the garage, it defaults to night mode!
[first, sorry for posting again - because I still don't have editing privileges despite asking for them]

So, today the system behaved perfectly! Odd. I did, though, look at the "light sensitivity" setting (in what I think was the "exterior lighting" section of the menus) per the link above. It was set to "medium" and maybe this might be adjusted if the problem continues.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boink
[first, sorry for posting again - because I still don't have editing privileges despite asking for them]

So, today the system behaved perfectly! Odd. I did, though, look at the "light sensitivity" setting (in what I think was the "exterior lighting" section of the menus) per the link above. It was set to "medium" and maybe this might be adjusted if the problem continues.
I can't believe I actually found this thread!

I'll have to try this, as I'm experiencing this issue on my 2018 as well...

I'm assuming the "sweep" area of the wipers clears the sensor, but I was going to experiment with my car the next time this happens by wiping the sensor on the windshield, as I thought that it's perhaps an issue with the sensor being clouded by road grime, and losing sensitivity, much like a dirty rear view camera fish-eye lens that you have to occasionally wipe in order to restore clarity.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kubica
I can't believe I actually found this thread!

I'll have to try this, as I'm experiencing this issue on my 2018 as well...

I'm assuming the "sweep" area of the wipers clears the sensor, but I was going to experiment with my car the next time this happens by wiping the sensor on the windshield, as I thought that it's perhaps an issue with the sensor being clouded by road grime, and losing sensitivity, much like a dirty rear view camera fish-eye lens that you have to occasionally wipe in order to restore clarity.
My dealer has told me to schedule a service visit about it. I took this to mean they could somehow tweak it. I'll report back either way.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I changed my light sensitivity to “late” and that seemed to fix the problem of it staying in night mode. I’m still going to have the dealer look at the sensor the next time I got in. It doesn’t seem right that with it set to medium that it goes to night mode with the sun up at midday.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B1eddieB2
I changed my light sensitivity to “late” and that seemed to fix the problem of it staying in night mode. I’m still going to have the dealer look at the sensor the next time I got in. It doesn’t seem right that with it set to medium that it goes to night mode with the sun up at midday.

Thanks. I mis-read how it works and changed it to "early" but I'll change it to late. I, too, will ask my dealer.

EDIT: changed it to "late" and that made the difference. It now seems to switch to day-light more appropriately. Perhaps the lesser settings are for VERY sunny climates.

Last edited by Boink; 01-12-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Visited my local dealer today and got to speak with a service technician that seemed in the know.
Yes, in the Pacific Northwest (or cloudy wintery areas), one needs to set the photo-sensing system to "LATE" to get the navigation map and headlights to switch properly. This means that it waits until it's darker to change to the night mode (again, for both the map and headlights). He also said "besides, the LED running lights on the Q5 are plenty bright as it is"). He added that I might be able to change back to "MEDIUM" during the summer months (with a brighter sky). Not sure why one would ever want "EARLY."
So, to wrap this up, the "LATE" mode solves my problem (and perhaps yours).

Quick Reply: Day vs. Night changes on nav map