Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Considering a Q5 to replace my RX450h... Looking for Q5 Owner Input!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Q5 to replace my RX450h... Looking for Q5 Owner Input!!

Hello to all. Just like the title says, I'm looking for input into my consideration for a Q5 to replace our 2010 RX450h. I'm considering either the 2.0T or the Hybrid due to mileage ratings. I like the thought of the 3.0T, and really like the thought of a SQ5, but this is to be my wife's DD/grocery-getter and our tripper vehicle, so the mileage outweighs the fun factor issues associated with either the 3.0T or the SQ5. In all honesty, we love the RXh we have, but my wife has recently discovered that she struggles with some visibility issues on the front corners due to the body pillar/mirror arrangements (she is only about 5'1", and is very petite). I, on the other hand, am a linebacker kind of guy and have no issues with visibility at all in the RXh. So, even though we've only had the car for about 16 months, I'm considering my options for a replacement with better visibility.

For context, I'm looking at the 2013-2105 year models with less than 70,000 miles, and would prefer to only consider Premium Plus or Prestige trimmed models.

QUESTIONS...

1) Are there any current Q5 owners here who have moved from the Lexus RX vehicles to the Q5? If so, please share your reasons for the switch and if you would make the same decision again.

2) Reliability... it seems to be a mixed bag with Audi in general. Please share your reliability satisfaction/concerns. I would also appreciate any list of "typically weak areas" for the Q5 family in the 2.0T or Hyrbid models along with what preventative steps are required to prevent the "typical weak areas" from becoming costly problems.

3) Any Q5 Hybrid owners? I really want your thoughts and experiences about your Q5h.

4) From my reading, it seems like the 2.0T oil consumption issue was resolved in the 2013+ year models... Have I understood that correctly?

5) Are there any typical transmission issues?

6) Can someone please speak to the carbon buildup issue... year models where it is not or is less of a problem, typical cleaning costs, can the cleaning be done DIY (I'm really big on DIY), etc.?

7) I have not yet seen the information... does the 2.0T have a timing belt or chain, and if belt, what is the change schedule, and can it be done by me in my garage?

Thanks for any and all input!
Pete
Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
I'm considering either the 2.0T or the Hybrid due to mileage ratings. I like the thought of the 3.0T, and really like the thought of a SQ5, but this is to be my wife's DD/grocery-getter and our tripper vehicle, so the mileage outweighs the fun factor issues associated with either the 3.0T or the SQ5.
Based on what I've read on here, there isn't a whole lot of MPG difference between a 2.0T and a 3.0T, especially on the hwy.

In all honesty, we love the RXh we have, but my wife has recently discovered that she struggles with some visibility issues on the front corners due to the body pillar/mirror arrangements (she is only about 5'1", and is very petite).
Make sure she test drives the Q5 extensively and pays attention to the side mirrors. This is actually one of my gripes with the Q5 - the outside mirrors block quite a bit of your vision when making turns, primarily for smaller drivers.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a 2007 RX400h. At lease end got 2010 Q5. Bought out lease and later traded in for 2014 Q5 TDI.

I found Q5 to of be very reliable. Driving Dynamics is the big difference from the RX. RX had no thrill.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also...

A TDI would also be worth my consideration, but I am casually aware of the DieselGate issues going on now, and expect it to not be very feasible at the moment. My son had a '06 Jetta 1.8T TDI for several years, and we really liked that engine. I certainly don;t need a dialogue here about it, just saying that I'm open to it.

One more detail, I'm not new to IB forums at all, having been in a Ford truck enthusiast forum for 11 years now, but am obviously new to this forum. My question is this... I do not see an "Edit" option for my posts... are we not allowed to go back to correct misspellings, add a random detail or two, etc. to earlier posts? Or is it that I'm so new that I have not yet earned the privilege of being allowed to edit anything?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
. My question is this... I do not see an "Edit" option for my posts... are we not allowed to go back to correct misspellings, add a random detail or two, etc. to earlier posts? Or is it that I'm so new that I have not yet earned the privilege of being allowed to edit anything?
Bottom right of your post. See screenshot below. I'm not sure if that option is disabled for new members until they build up some tenure...

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 01-05-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, guys! Wow... it's nice to see quick replies. I've been in some Volvo and Toyota forums where I see posts go for hundreds of views before anyone ever replies at all, and on some of them, that can take days.

On the mileage issue, we don;t often take long highway trips, so the predominant value of the 4-cylinder is really in the day-to-day around town driving done by my wife. She is also an extremely cautious driver and would not want to really enjoy the benefits of the 3.0T or the SQ5 at all.

As for the visibility, thanks for that input, Pete. Lie I said, if the Q5 does not offer any real improvement on that for my wife, I'll probably just sit tight for now and wait another year or so before jumping ship. I like the body refresh in the 2013-2015 RX's, but hate the ugly front end and razor styling in the '17's, and I really dislike the RX "egg" shape. My wife has admired the Q5's I've pointed out to her, and I like the overall looks much better as well. We will certainly do some extensive driving to check them out, but need to wait for this arctic blast to drift through so my wife can keep the extremely cold air from aggravating her current respiratory cough.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the screen shot, Pete, but that Edit button is not showing up on my screen. I have to therefore assume that it's an issue of not yet having met a minimum number of posts, but I'll resolve that soon enough... especially if I cannot edit anything in the meantime.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK... I have the answer to the editing issue. It will just take a little while and the feature will be either activated for me or I'll be able to request the privilege. I should have read through the FAQ's before bringing it up.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We have just traded our 15 Q5 TDI for an RX 300 . We are looking for a softer ride as we found the Audi a bit stiff on some of our 2nd rate aussie roads. We had the aussie recall done for the emissions drama and found no difference in performance, maybe uses a little more fuel, about 6 liters per 100 km on highway.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by enjens
We have just traded our 15 Q5 TDI for an RX 300 . We are looking for a softer ride as we found the Audi a bit stiff on some of our 2nd rate aussie roads. We had the aussie recall done for the emissions drama and found no difference in performance, maybe uses a little more fuel, about 6 liters per 100 km on highway.
That's a good data point on the TDI issue, and I understand the desire for a more "driver separated ride" when dealing with rougher roads, and Lexus is certainly known for that. The sportier ride in the Q5 could also become a deterrent for my wife as she actually enjoys the butter smooth ride in our RXh. I'm a little happier with more responsiveness and more engaged feedback while driving, but alas, it will be my wife's car, and not mine, so her preference will rule the decision regardless of which way it goes.

Quick Reply: Considering a Q5 to replace my RX450h... Looking for Q5 Owner Input!!