Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android Auto

Hey All,

I have a 2018 S5, and am having some problems with Android Auto. When I plug the phone in, the app starts to launch but continuously restarts itself.

Anyone else having this issue or know what might be causing it?

Thank you!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by buckem
Hey All,

I have a 2018 S5, and am having some problems with Android Auto. When I plug the phone in, the app starts to launch but continuously restarts itself.

Thank you!
I can try and help. Questions:

1. Does anything ever appear on the car screen? What is the phone screen showing? Do you ever get the Audi screen permissions the first time you connect to Android Auto?

2. What Phone / OS version / USB or USB-C cable are you using?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoopman
I can try and help. Questions:

1. Does anything ever appear on the car screen? What is the phone screen showing? Do you ever get the Audi screen permissions the first time you connect to Android Auto?

2. What Phone / OS version / USB or USB-C cable are you using?
1. Yes, it launches android auto and then goes to the screen of pick a device to pair, and then launches android auto, and so on.

2. Samsung Galaxy S7/Androdi 7.0/ USB Micro - faster charger.

Haven't thought of switching up the cable, will try that when I get home.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

1. Yes, it launches android auto and then goes to the screen of pick a device to pair, and then launches android auto, and so on.

2. Samsung Galaxy S7/Androdi 7.0/ USB Micro - faster charger.

Haven't thought of switching up the cable, will try that when I get home.
I would try a different cable -- ideally the cable that came with your phone.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe try to pair the phone first before you first run Android auto.

Also go into apps/android auto and clear all cache, this will put the app back in default settings -- as if you never plugged your phone in.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey All,

Thank you!
Best thing to do is uninstall Android Auto or clear data so you start fresh then launch the Android Auto app when you're not in the car or connected. Go through setup and whatever. Make sure it works on phone itself. Then go plug it in. That's what I did and I use it more than twice a day every day and it's been Rock solid.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think it's your cable since it's recognizing AA but its not keeping the connection up reliably to project.

If you use a good other other cable with same bad results, I'd do what the other folks suggest.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm also trying to drill down the exact requirements that activate Android Auto reliably.

For those who have it working perfectly:

1. What is your default USB behavior set to? File transfer? Charging only?

I would think that "file transfer" has to be activated for Android Auto to work, unless it has some override capability on a trusted vehicle.

2. Does your phone have to be unlocked to activate Android Auto? If you connect it directly to the USB cable, without unlocking the phone (or having it unlock through "Smart Lock" when connected to your car's BT), will Android Auto activate? Or do you have to physically unlock it first?
Old 01-09-2018, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by audi-one
I'm also trying to drill down the exact requirements that activate Android Auto reliably.

For those who have it working perfectly:

1. What is your default USB behavior set to? File transfer? Charging only?

I would think that "file transfer" has to be activated for Android Auto to work, unless it has some override capability on a trusted vehicle.

2. Does your phone have to be unlocked to activate Android Auto? If you connect it directly to the USB cable, without unlocking the phone (or having it unlock through "Smart Lock" when connected to your car's BT), will Android Auto activate? Or do you have to physically unlock it first?
Had a S8 and now I've had a Note 8 since it launched and it works Everytime whether the phone is locked or unlocked. I get in the car, plug in the phone and it starts on MMI. What's nice is MMI stays in Android Auto when phone isn't connected it just complains correctly there's no phone so I don't have to mess with MMI just plug in phone and go.

Also remember as part of Android Auto setup it will automatically pair your phone to the car BT. I never manually paired my car to S5 but they're paired and work great.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

@Mobilehavoc, what's the default USB behavior on your phone set to?

Quick Reply: Android Auto