Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Just shredded my tire on my new Q5 with 5000 miles. Here is my story.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just shredded my tire on my new Q5 with 5000 miles. Here is my story.

I was driving on the freeway when I saw the warning that my Right Rear Tire lost pressure. Unfortunately, I didnt know whether that meant it was a little low or a lot, since it doesnt display the air pressure. My Wife's GLC300 keeps telling her a tire has low pressure, and it displays all the pressures for each tire, and in her case, one was 5 pounds low, so I filled it for her when she got home. It obviously has a slow leak as this repeats about once a month. I told her to get it checked. In my case, I thought I could keep driving. I was 3 miles away from the next exit and didnt want to pull over on the narrow shoulder. Shortly after, I get another message saying suspension stabilization issue, ok to continue driving, which I did. When I started to hear noises that sounded like I had a flat tire, I pulled over. It was raining. I looked at the tire, and it was toast. Full of holes on the side. Looked like the wheel was ok. Called the AAA to change the tire. They kept asking me questions and I kept asking when is help arriving. I thought of calling Audi Roadside afterwards, but I thought you automatically do that by pushing the little red button above for emergency. That was my backup plan. I pushed the button. Twice. I heard a phone connection, but no one ever came on line. I was nervous staying in the car as is swayed each time a big rig sped by. Finally a patrol officer showed up and I explained what happened and he said he came due to the emergency call. At that time, the truck came to help change my tire. He put air in the spare using his compressor, got me on the way. That emergency connection was still open all this time. When I restarted the car, it finally closed. Bought a new tire. The Audi still drove well with the flat when I first pulled over. Would not have known there was an issue without all the warnings. I called the dealer, said it was not covered. Had the tire put on at America's Tire the next day when they got it in, and Im back whole again. They said it was due to road hazard. I guess next time I get that message, even if Im on the freeway, I need to pull over and check tire pressure. What do you all think I should have done? For sure, I will call Audi Roadside next time first. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ifeldman
I was driving on the freeway when I saw the warning that my Right Rear Tire lost pressure. Unfortunately, I didnt know whether that meant it was a little low or a lot, since it doesnt display the air pressure. My Wife's GLC300 keeps telling her a tire has low pressure, and it displays all the pressures for each tire, and in her case, one was 5 pounds low, so I filled it for her when she got home. It obviously has a slow leak as this repeats about once a month. I told her to get it checked. In my case, I thought I could keep driving. I was 3 miles away from the next exit and didnt want to pull over on the narrow shoulder. Shortly after, I get another message saying suspension stabilization issue, ok to continue driving, which I did. When I started to hear noises that sounded like I had a flat tire, I pulled over. It was raining. I looked at the tire, and it was toast. Full of holes on the side. Looked like the wheel was ok. Called the AAA to change the tire. They kept asking me questions and I kept asking when is help arriving. I thought of calling Audi Roadside afterwards, but I thought you automatically do that by pushing the little red button above for emergency. That was my backup plan. I pushed the button. Twice. I heard a phone connection, but no one ever came on line. I was nervous staying in the car as is swayed each time a big rig sped by. Finally a patrol officer showed up and I explained what happened and he said he came due to the emergency call. At that time, the truck came to help change my tire. He put air in the spare using his compressor, got me on the way. That emergency connection was still open all this time. When I restarted the car, it finally closed. Bought a new tire. The Audi still drove well with the flat when I first pulled over. Would not have known there was an issue without all the warnings. I called the dealer, said it was not covered. Had the tire put on at America's Tire the next day when they got it in, and Im back whole again. They said it was due to road hazard. I guess next time I get that message, even if Im on the freeway, I need to pull over and check tire pressure. What do you all think I should have done? For sure, I will call Audi Roadside next time first. Thanks.

I really would have been interested to know how responsive Audi Roadside assistance would have been - I wish that Audi displayed actual pressure numbers.

BTW I was comparing the GLC to the Q5 and decided on the Q5 since I could not get both Android Auto and advance driver assistance features in the GLC. SInce you own both I would love to hear your pros and cons of each vehicle - I am sure many people cross shopped these vehicles!
Old 01-09-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Since the Audi's use passive TPMS, not active like older cars, it can't show live tire pressure values. Upside to this is when you swap wheels etc., no need for TPMS sensor replacement
Old 01-09-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by planetmv
I really would have been interested to know how responsive Audi Roadside assistance would have been - I wish that Audi displayed actual pressure numbers.

BTW I was comparing the GLC to the Q5 and decided on the Q5 since I could not get both Android Auto and advance driver assistance features in the GLC. SInce you own both I would love to hear your pros and cons of each vehicle - I am sure many people cross shopped these vehicles!
I really fell in love with the virtual cockpit of the Audi. Ive been waiting for that ever since I saw it on a Q7 at the Consumer Electronics Show at the nVidia exhibit a couple of years back. I use Apple Car play and the Audi MMI depending on what I want to do. I feel more comfortable driving in the Audi. I like that if you use the Mercedes Me app and select a destination, it automatically pops up in the NAV. However, I dont like the GLC Nav other wise. If you select a destination in the Audi MMI app, you have to drill down some menus and wait anywheres from half a minute to several minutes to connect up to their server to get to your destinations. The adaptive cruise control on the GLC works well. I Audi has more selectability I believe as to how close to get to the car in front of you. Also, when you try to resume your speed, it seems to be easier in the Audi. I really like the controls in the Audi better. Also love the heads up display in the Audi. I also had looked at the Volvo XC60. It was a close second to the Audi, but the MMI in the Audi wont me over. The seats much more comfortable in the Volvo. I am concerned that the google earth is supposed to go away in the 2018 Audi end of 2020.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by planetmv

I had a flat on my 2013 Q5 in June 2017 and was stuck on a major highway in Toronto. Audi roadside assistance was absolutely fantastic. I only waited 25minutes. The tire was shredded and the guy changed the tire quickly and got me back on my way to pickup my 2018 Q5. I know it’s ironic I wish I would’ve had TPMS on the 2013.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ifeldman
I received the same warning for the same tire (right rear) while driving home on the freeway yesterday in my 2017 A4. I also continued driving for a few miles to get to an offramp where I thought there might be a gas station. There was no gas station, but the tire looked fine, so I got back on the freeway and drove another 5 miles to an offramp where I knew there was a gas station. I checked the pressure, and it was only a little low, so I filled it up and drove 20 miles home. It turns out there was a screw in the tire, and it had a very slow leak. I was able to get it repaired today.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Since the Audi's use passive TPMS, not active like older cars, it can't show live tire pressure values. Upside to this is when you swap wheels etc., no need for TPMS sensor replacement
Precisely why I prefer the VW/Audi system. It can run $80+/rim for new TPMS sensors.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by blchandl2
Precisely why I prefer the VW/Audi system. It can run $80+/rim for new TPMS sensors.
Agree and while (on my Macan) was nice to see individual pressures, it adds a lot to expenses.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
I received the same warning for the same tire (right rear) while driving home on the freeway yesterday in my 2017 A4. I also continued driving for a few miles to get to an offramp where I thought there might be a gas station. There was no gas station, but the tire looked fine, so I got back on the freeway and drove another 5 miles to an offramp where I knew there was a gas station. I checked the pressure, and it was only a little low, so I filled it up and drove 20 miles home. It turns out there was a screw in the tire, and it had a very slow leak. I was able to get it repaired today.
Thats why I didnt worry right away, because I thought it might just be a little low. But I guess it was a lot low. And with the 20 inch tires, there is not much volume of air to begin with.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Isn't there an air compressor under your luggage compartment floor? Mine has one to inflate the spare...

Quick Reply: Just shredded my tire on my new Q5 with 5000 miles. Here is my story.