Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Figured it would be useful to have a single thread for anyone who's had the fix done to post experiences.

If questions about the same issues arise I'll update this post with an FAQ type list (suggestions for that welcome).
Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just drove it home from the fix. Only went about 15 miles, only thing I noticed was noticeable downshift when slowing down at a light. I thought they were supposed to fill up the fuel or at least put some in. I took in with a 1/4 tank and it was returned the same way. Filled it up on the way home. I assume they filled the DEF tank- I think the only way I can check that is with the VAG-COM tool which my son has at the present time.

Will be awaiting the email for the EFT of the last payment... more to follow after more miles.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by skl1
Just drove it home from the fix. Only went about 15 miles, only thing I noticed was noticeable downshift when slowing down at a light. I thought they were supposed to fill up the fuel or at least put some in. I took in with a 1/4 tank and it was returned the same way. Filled it up on the way home. I assume they filled the DEF tank- I think the only way I can check that is with the VAG-COM tool which my son has at the present time.

Will be awaiting the email for the EFT of the last payment... more to follow after more miles.
That is terrible about the fuel fill-up. Call the service manager asap.

I don't think the vehicle knows the DEF level, beyond the low level warnings.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its pretty clear in the booklet Audi sent that a full tank of AdBlue and FUEL was to come with the fix, I would suggest that all of us bring that up with the service advisor and show them the book from Audi BEFORE the fix is done, easier then arguing about it afterward. I doubt any of the service advisors or managers have even looked at the Audi book, same goes with free AdBlue fill ups which my dealer apparently knew NOTHING about. The booklet is a handy reference and hard to argue with.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny about the fuel fill-up as I asked the SA how many cars they've fixed and he said over 25 including several Q5's. I didn't specifically ask about the fuel fill-up and didn't notice the fuel level until I was on my way home. Too much of a PITA to return and argue as I hate going to dealerships unless ABSOLUTELY necessary.

May give them a call or wait until they call asking how the appt went and when they fish for a good "score." It is a big Penske Audi dealership so Roger should have them doing it right )
Old 01-12-2018, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mine was done Wednesday 1/10/18

My A6 got the fix on Wednesday. Fuel tank was full when I picked it up. I've done about 170 miles since, with the following non-scientific observations...
Butt dyno - still feels very strong, with no discernible reduction in power. Low end still strong, acceleration still very strong at highway speeds.
Fuel usage - haven't refilled the tank yet, but MMI fuel usage at "around town" and highway (75-80) speeds seems almost identical to pre-fix.
Noise level - slight increase in noise level when cold, no noticeable difference once at normal operating temps.
Miscellaneous - when cold, the transmission seems to hold much longer in lower gears to facilitate quicker warm ups, and downshifts when slowing down for signal lights.

Summary - This car always puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, and I've had it for 4.5 years and 85k miles. I'm still smiling after the fix. If this is as bad as it gets, I can certainly live with this.
The following users liked this post:
GP_RZ (04-16-2020)
Old 01-13-2018, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAessate
My A6 got the fix on Wednesday. Fuel tank was full when I picked it up. I've done about 170 miles since, with the following non-scientific observations...
Butt dyno - still feels very strong, with no discernible reduction in power. Low end still strong, acceleration still very strong at highway speeds.
Fuel usage - haven't refilled the tank yet, but MMI fuel usage at "around town" and highway (75-80) speeds seems almost identical to pre-fix.
Noise level - slight increase in noise level when cold, no noticeable difference once at normal operating temps.
Miscellaneous - when cold, the transmission seems to hold much longer in lower gears to facilitate quicker warm ups, and downshifts when slowing down for signal lights.

Summary - This car always puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, and I've had it for 4.5 years and 85k miles. I'm still smiling after the fix. If this is as bad as it gets, I can certainly live with this.
I am starting to be encouraged by some of the reviews I am seeing. Thanks for posting your results.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My A7 had the fix applied on Tuesday, but unlike AudiRob16 I haven't had a chance to do a long road trip yet.

However, one difference I have noticed already is the trip computer's calculated MPG now appears worse on my drive into work. On the two trips thus far it's estimating about 24 MPG whereas before the fix it'd routinely show well over 30 MPG. But I basically drive downhill with an elevation decrease of 1,100 feet into town so the engine is mostly in warm-up mode all the way in. Drive home (up hill of course) the MPG seems about the same. Engine seems maybe a tad bit noisier driving around town but definitely still has that diesel torque punch whenever it's needed. Also, it is still auto-downshifting when going downhill, but seems less likely to do so when the engine is not warmed up.

So my overall impression is that it drives about the same with the engine warmed up, but the post-fix warm-up mode is noticeably different from pre-fix warm-up mode. And it'll be several weeks before the next diesel fill-up at which point I'll have a more accurate number for average MPG.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

It would be interesting to see if the cars actual power output or power band has changed at all after the fix has taken place. would just need someone to do a few dyno pulls prior and after to see.

Glad though that everyone seems to be having good results from the fix.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:50 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Subjective Post-fix Evaluation/Emissions & AUX heater

Firstly, the experience is/was all positive. Post fix and a couple hundred miles later my observations are the Q5 feels smoother and less 'edgy' than before under normal loads. Shifts are smoother, upshifts held a bit longer similar to the 'S' mode, hill braking downshifts occur more readily. Engine sounds, either cold start or at cruise seem about the same. I can't say I've noticed any glaring differences than before for any aspect of the norm. No odors either. The smoothness may go away once the cpu adapts to my slightly aggressive driving style.
Additionally, recall a post relating to cold air filtering into the cabin after the AUX heater repair because of a linkage assembly? I read my repair order afterward and there's specific mention of "Adapt HVAC door end stops" called out. This allays fears of the door linkages aforementioned and I'm happy about this as I live in E PA and we're experiencing some of the coldest temps in decades and the TDI is as warm as toast.
Furthermore a few months ago somebody (uninformed) somewhere said that the engine would be 'neutered'...rendering the power to where it feels like a gas-engine. This cannot be farther from the truth. It's still the torque monster it was before and it continues to bring a smile to my face when I hammer it.

Last edited by bpp; 01-14-2018 at 06:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences