A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Research for replacement 2.0 engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:17 AM
SWW
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Research for replacement 2.0 engine

2010 Audi A4 trunk tag
Hey guys, Finally joined the site after years of owning Audi's and reading Forum's on AudiWorld in the past. I just took possession of my next Audi project. A 2010 A4 2.0t front wheel drive with 90k miles on it. The A4 was purchased by a young man from a dealership in Florida, knowing it didn't run due to the timing chain jumping a tooth. The repair shop he took it to apparently scared him with the $$$$$$ it was going to take to repair or replace the engine. So, here I go... LOL I spoke with the Audi dealership in Florida and the service manager told me they diagnosed the 2.0t and it would "need a new head". I spoke to the actual owner of the car at the time it stopped running. Apparently he drove the car that night to dinner, parked it in the driveway, then came back out to go somewhere and the car would not start. He also said the dealership told him they didn't know how the car ran that long due to "all the metal pieces in the head". He also told me the engine started to "leak oil" after an independent shop had worked on it and replaced some o-rings in it... Who knows! All I know for sure at this point is it has the CAEB engine in it.

So, all that being said, and the car itself appearing to be in "very good condition", I believe the wisest choice is to replace the existing CAEB 2.0t engine with a 2013 or newer B8.5 2.0t engine. I've read a few engine swap threads and I haven't found any with the details I'm looking for. Maybe I just didn't run across it.... I'd like to get some "first hand knowledge" on the replacement engine. Can I use "any 2.0t engine" out of a 2013-2016 B8.5 generation Audi? I heard there were still some engines going into some early 2013 models that still had issues with timing chain tensioner. Is there a certain 2.0t engine code that I should be staying away from, and what are the one's I should be looking for? I'm assuming 2014 engines are safe, but they are also 30% more money. So a low mileage 2013 engine would probably be my best option. Any knowledgeable guidance here would be greatly helpful. I don't want to waste time having to tear into the new engine to replace parts.

Thanks in advance for any information!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:22 AM
SWW
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found a nice write up on Audizine in case anyone else would like some information on an engine swap.
Lettuce Build Thread, Fast Cars and Fast Women: Stage 2 and Beyond - Page 22