A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken intake manifold flaps end up on top of my valves.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Broken intake manifold flaps end up on top of my valves.

So, I don't know if you guys remember I had misfire on 3 cylinders 1,2 and 5. Plugs and coils did not solve the problem, so I decided to pull IM and preform carbon cleaning. Once the IM was off, I noticed some plastic pieces on top of valves in cylinder number 1 only. One of them was jammed between valve and cylinder head, and the other was loose in there bouncing around. I don't know if it caused any damage to the valves, but I put some carb cleaner on top of the valves and it did not leak down to cylinder. So my guess is that everything is ok. Another weird thing was that that cylinder had no carbon build up what so ever. I don't know If I should investigate this further or just put everything back together and see how it runs. Kind of hard to see on the pictures but you can see what I have pulled up.

​​​​​​
Old 01-14-2018, 06:18 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default You Need To Replace Your IMF

Originally Posted by blazej01
So, I don't know if you guys remember I had misfire on 3 cylinders 1,2 and 5. Plugs and coils did not solve the problem, so I decided to pull IM and preform carbon cleaning. Once the IM was off, I noticed some plastic pieces on top of valves in cylinder number 1 only. One of them was jammed between valve and cylinder head, and the other was loose in there bouncing around. I don't know if it caused any damage to the valves, but I put some carb cleaner on top of the valves and it did not leak down to cylinder. So my guess is that everything is ok. Another weird thing was that that cylinder had no carbon build up what so ever. I don't know If I should investigate this further or just put everything back together and see how it runs. Kind of hard to see on the pictures but you can see what I have pulled up.

​​​​​​
You might fix your misfires by pulling out those broken flap pieces, but your flaps won't work properly without them and therefore, neither will your engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMF Flaps.pdf (1.35 MB, 396 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 01:02 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi intake manifold flaps and actuator. I just had to replace the intake manifold on my 2008 S8

Old 01-15-2018, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

where is the cheapest place to get intake manifold?
Old 01-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Here:

where is the cheapest place to get intake manifold?
https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...old-07l133185m
Attached Images   
Old 01-16-2018, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just took my manifold a part and only one is broken at cylinder number.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

$1,500....OUCH!!!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:45 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

I bought mine through Audiusa. Once I sent them a message I got an immediate callback and they expedited the shipping to the Audi dealership doing the installation.
As I stated in a previous thread the new manifold along with the carbon cleaning resulted in an enormous increase in horsepoweron the top end. I imagine there was an issue with the manifold when I bought the car.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TFT
I bought mine through Audiusa. Once I sent them a message I got an immediate callback and they expedited the shipping to the Audi dealership doing the installation.
As I stated in a previous thread the new manifold along with the carbon cleaning resulted in an enormous increase in horsepoweron the top end. I imagine there was an issue with the manifold when I bought the car.
At what milage did you replace your manifold? Did you clean your injectors? I am debating if I should send it out.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:42 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

At what milage did you replace your manifold? Did you clean your injectors? I am debating if I should send it out.
I have about 78,000 miles on the car. I did not clean the injectors but did have a carbon cleaning done. There was quite a bit of carbon buildup.

Quick Reply: Broken intake manifold flaps end up on top of my valves.