Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rust spots on paint (Glacier White Metallic)

Old 01-15-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rust spots on paint (Glacier White Metallic)

I just purchased a used CPO 2014 Audi SQ5 (Glacier White Metallic). I had it shipped from NJ to CA. It was dirty from the Auto transport so I couldn't see any body issues. Then I got a carwash today and noticed that there were small rust spots/dots all over the body paint. I tried to scrape it off with my nail and couldn't. So the rust seems to be embedded in the clear coat of the paint. Has anyone here experience or seen this before?
Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Techm8n
I just purchased a used CPO 2014 Audi SQ5 (Glacier White Metallic). I had it shipped from NJ to CA. It was dirty from the Auto transport so I couldn't see any body issues. Then I got a carwash today and noticed that there were small rust spots/dots all over the body paint. I tried to scrape it off with my nail and couldn't. So the rust seems to be embedded in the clear coat of the paint. Has anyone here experience or seen this before?
Quite normal if a vehicle is shipped by rail. It's iron dust from the rail tracks/train car wheels. Detailing usually removes it.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 01-18-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get acquainted with your clay bar..... everything sticks to this paint.

it’ll come right out tho
Old 01-15-2018, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SlingshotSQ5
Get acquainted with your clay bar..... everything sticks to this paint.

it’ll come right out tho
When you say "everything sticks to this paint", is it because of the color? So you don't think I should bring it to the dealer for body corrosion warranty?
Old 01-16-2018, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Techm8n
When you say "everything sticks to this paint", is it because of the color? So you don't think I should bring it to the dealer for body corrosion warranty?
I’m hoping you aren’t trolling me with that response. In the event that was a serious reply, I’ll oblige an answer in case others have had this cross their mind as well.In your case, you shipped your vehicle and it’s been exposed to rail dust. This is iron particulate that rests on the paint’s surface and now is corroding.Your car isn’t rusting.The contaminant sitting on top of the paint is.White shows rust extremely well, so you see it as opposed to if you had a black or darker vehicle color.The same thing happens with brake dust. Larger particles can get stuck on your paint surface along the side and rear of your vehicle and then you see the little orange spots everywhere.If you do not detail/care for your vehicle for whatever reason, then you will have to pay someone to clay bar the vehicle to remove the rust/contaminates on the surface.It’s not difficult, but is time consuming. Then after clay, you would usually seal (wax/polish) to help protect the paint and make it less likely to get re-contaminated until that coating/polish/wax/whatever wears off again.Wash your vehicle frequently by hand to reduce buildup.Going to the dealer to tell them the car is rusting will result in a referral to a detail service at your expense.I’ve owned three white vehicles of different manufacturers, they all have this issue. It’s nothing abnormal.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...white-2937869/
Old 01-16-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SlingshotSQ5
I’m hoping you aren’t trolling me with that response. In the event that was a serious reply, I’ll oblige an answer in case others have had this cross their mind as well.In your case, you shipped your vehicle and it’s been exposed to rail dust. This is iron particulate that rests on the paint’s surface and now is corroding.Your car isn’t rusting.The contaminant sitting on top of the paint is.White shows rust extremely well, so you see it as opposed to if you had a black or darker vehicle color.The same thing happens with brake dust. Larger particles can get stuck on your paint surface along the side and rear of your vehicle and then you see the little orange spots everywhere.If you do not detail/care for your vehicle for whatever reason, then you will have to pay someone to clay bar the vehicle to remove the rust/contaminates on the surface.It’s not difficult, but is time consuming. Then after clay, you would usually seal (wax/polish) to help protect the paint and make it less likely to get re-contaminated until that coating/polish/wax/whatever wears off again.Wash your vehicle frequently by hand to reduce buildup.Going to the dealer to tell them the car is rusting will result in a referral to a detail service at your expense.I’ve owned three white vehicles of different manufacturers, they all have this issue. It’s nothing abnormal.
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know about rail dust. Had to research it online How to remove rail dust Professional Carwashing & Detailing. Also, I had it transported from NJ to CA via truck transport, not train. It snows in NJ and salt on the roads. I wonder if that also causes this problem. Anyway, I'll first ask my Audi dealer service department if they have any recommendation of if it's covered by warranty. Second option will be to get it detailed (clay bar and wax/polish). Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found this product in Amazon.com. Has good reviews. I'll give this a try.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Techm8n Any chance of posting some good clear pictures of these "spots" I'm interested.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Techm8n Any chance of posting some good clear pictures of these "spots" I'm interested.
Here you go. You'll have to zoom in the pic to see it.
Attached Thumbnails Rust spots on paint (Glacier White Metallic)-rail-dust.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust spots on paint (Glacier White Metallic)