A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

- 9 degrees here this morning and front air suspension

Old 01-17-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default - 9 degrees here this morning and front air suspension

did not totally fill up. Never had problem before usually in the garage but had to park outside last night. Anything I can do to prevent from happening again if I have to park outside. It is a 20045 Audi A8 4.2L
Old 01-17-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

How do you mean? The system should be air-tight (no air loss). Now there will be a contraction due to air temp but that will be easily restored on start-up.

If you have a leak, then it stresses the little/old compressor.

Going into jack mode will conserve air pressure. Putting it on jack stands might gain some
Old 01-17-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Went out at lunch

started the car, let it warm up a bit and came back and air suspension was back to normal. Also drove home from work and no problems, but it sounds like from previous comment I might have a leak somewhere. I forgot to mention earlier that the yellow and green lights(car) came on as I was driving. Sorry, actually it was just front passenger that was low to ground
Old 01-17-2018, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

When you have it back at home, put it in jack mode and see if it drops overnight (or longer). Jack mode keeps compressor from trying to level it even when off.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sorry it took so long to get back

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
When you have it back at home, put it in jack mode and see if it drops overnight (or longer). Jack mode keeps compressor from trying to level it even when off.
but it did not drop overnight. And I have not had an issue since them -9 degree weather over night. Once it warmed up(20 degrees), it come back fine. Also just front passenger side as well, all other shocks were fine and like I said once it warmed up that day it came back

Last edited by jeffkruse; 01-22-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkruse
but it did not drop overnight. And I have not had an issue since them -9 degree weather over night. Once it warmed up(20 degrees), it come back fine. Also just front passenger side as well, all other shocks were fine and like I said once it warmed up that day it came back
Some suspension drop is normal when there is a significant decrease in temperature, as the airbag and surrounding area heat up to probably around 70 degrees F during normal operation, then cool to around (in your case) -9 degrees F. Audi even mentions this in one of their SSPs.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

same as above. Esp when car has been driven from garage and then parked outside for a while, and THEN temp drops. Car checks height after 1,3, 5 and 10 (? or similar) number of hours. if decently warm outside, the reservoir does not loose much pressure during those hours. If temp then drops from say 40s to 0 or below, the car will sink. At that point reservoir is cold and has less pressure.
Good news - lock and unlock car, car tries to use reservoir pressure to raise car. if not enough. it won't. Start car, compressor starts and all is well. BTDT
Old 01-23-2018, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Failed to mention sorry

that the little car warning lights came on(red,yellow) then the yellow one started flashing because my right front passenger side fender was almost touching the tire. Luckily I was just pulling into my parking lot when it started flashing
Old 01-25-2018, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried to change the PTC on the compressor? For my compressor did burn out without displaying any codes.
has anyone put a additional relay in serial with 40A fuse to switch of the compressor from the inside.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Trond B
Has anyone tried to change the PTC on the compressor? For my compressor did burn out without displaying any codes.
has anyone put a additional relay in serial with 40A fuse to switch of the compressor from the inside.
What do you mean by PTC?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: - 9 degrees here this morning and front air suspension