S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Possible paint issues under side skits?

Old 01-17-2018, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possible paint issues under side skits?

Hey all,

so i've noticed that underneath both my side skirts, near the front and back on both side, it looks like (and feels like) that the paint is almost like bubbling up there. It kinda looks almost like how a golf ball looks (best comparison i could think of lol). i actually took it to my audi dealer and the service guy said that apparently its the clear bra/film protection they install for rocks n stuff thats doing it not the paint. now i've never had any sort of clear bra type stuff installed on my cars so idk if he was just BSing or he's telling the truth and it can happen. regardless i feel even if he's saying it is the film, it shouldnt be happening on a car ive only had for not even 4 months. now granted its not something you can see just looking at the car from the side, you kinda gotta get down a bit to see it, but im a little **** about how my car looks lol. anyone else have/had this happen to there car? ill try to put up some pictures once the weather isnt crap lol
Old 01-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same on my car on the sill panel. I've had this on other cars as well and always assumed it was just some kind of thicker paint for stone chip protection.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Meme Yo Girl
Hey all,

so i've noticed that underneath both my side skirts, near the front and back on both side, it looks like (and feels like) that the paint is almost like bubbling up there. It kinda looks almost like how a golf ball looks (best comparison i could think of lol). i actually took it to my audi dealer and the service guy said that apparently its the clear bra/film protection they install for rocks n stuff thats doing it not the paint. now i've never had any sort of clear bra type stuff installed on my cars so idk if he was just BSing or he's telling the truth and it can happen. regardless i feel even if he's saying it is the film, it shouldnt be happening on a car ive only had for not even 4 months. now granted its not something you can see just looking at the car from the side, you kinda gotta get down a bit to see it, but im a little **** about how my car looks lol. anyone else have/had this happen to there car? ill try to put up some pictures once the weather isnt crap lol
My S6 has this clear bra/pain protection as well, just behind the wheel wells.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jayhawkmd
My S6 has this clear bra/pain protection as well, just behind the wheel wells.
but does it look and feel smooth or does it look bubbly/rough?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Supposed to be that way on the side skirts.

As for the front.....dont worry about it, you'll scrape it on a low curb in no time.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It is PVC tape applied before the car is painted It protects that area form stones/debris. VAG has been using it for a long time and it really protects well. Plus if you do get a chip in it, touch up paint blends in easily to the texture. New 911 and other VAG cars continue to use it
Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mattq5s4
It is PVC tape applied before the car is painted It protects that area form stones/debris. VAG has been using it for a long time and it really protects well. Plus if you do get a chip in it, touch up paint blends in easily to the texture. New 911 and other VAG cars continue to use it
ohh alright that sounds interesting, i wasn't aware of that. guess you learn something new everyday right? lol. i mostly just wanted to double check that the service guy wasn't just BSing me about the film doing that so they didn't have to repaint or whatever. thanks!