Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

looking to buy 2018 Q7 with specific spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy 2018 Q7 with specific spec

looking for a Q7 with a specific build out - I would usually consider more features but really don't want to give up any of these features. I prefer not to wait 4 months for a special order unless I can get the same ballpark discount. I currently have an offer for a new 2018 Prestige with pretty much everything I want except for 4 wheel steering - 71,220 sticker offered at 64,878 or a bit over 9% off. Seems like a strong offer, but I really wanted the 4ws. Ideally if I could find similar discount with the 4ws, I'd be good to go. I've used This link to the edmunds build out for pricing and spec info.

Prestige (must have around view camera & ventilated seats - I'm guessing Premium Plus can get these but not sure what else I'd be missing)
Driver Assist
Cold Weather
Towing
No luxury - I'm expecting ventilated seats already in prestige ? and I don't know what else this really adds, not thinking we need massage.
Adaptive suspension (would love the 4ws - I think)
Heads up Display (not a deal killer - I hear its not really that impressive. The one we drove only showed the speed limit, the current speed and the auto pilot lines IIRC)

Wife wants white exterior and light interior but we might consider other paint colors, no black..

We're in central Alabama FWIW.

Any suggestions or help appreciated. I"m posting in another thread because we're still considering an XC90 too, but I haven't driven them back to back and feel that when I do the Q will feel much more quiet and more robust. I have read about the issues with 2016 XCs but the '18's seem to have been sorted out pretty well.

thanks!
Chris
Old 01-17-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of things ...

Prestige - the HUD, top view camera & ventilated seats are standard on this trim
Luxury package - this includes massaging feature
Adaptive suspension package - this includes both adaptive suspension & all wheel steering (unfortunately this not available as a stand alone option)

As for the other packages (Driver's Assistance & Cold Weather), definitely recommend them. As you mention, the Q7's interior is very quiet compared to the competition, so you will not be disappointed. Good luck with the shopping.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you want the build we have, sans the Luxury Package.

If I could do it again, I'd have bailed on the DAP. Seems like most cars come with it, but I really find it to be more of a nuisance, especially when it gets a bit aggressive in its corrections.

The Luxury Package is nice and it adds a softer leather, though that could be subjective. The extended leather reaches to the doors and there's a patch of alcantara in the door as well. The roof is alcantara too. The LP is a $5K option and while the value for the price is ridiculous, if it's in your budget, I'd recommend it. When buying our Q7, just a month ago, our focus was on comfort and luxury and not so much the tech. The model on the lot had the Adaptive Chassis we wanted as well as the luxury package and didn't have the extras like the BO sound and Night Vision.

So while heated and ventilated seats are standard in a Prestige model, I wouldn't dismiss the Luxury Package right away without first having a sit-down with it. Same for the Adaptive Chassis, which has the four wheel steering. It's a $4K+ option, but in the interest of comfort and perhaps the bonus handling/control from 4 wheel steering, it was worth it.

Audi likes to headline the Luxury Package as having massage front seats, but I think it does a disservice since most people feel it's a bit superfluous. I know my family did and I'm the only one that uses it regularly. But after sitting in a non luxury Q7 and then in a luxury Q7 with the valcona leather, we were all sold that it felt much better. $5K better? No, but enough to not want the standard seats and the feel that came with them. Plus, the extra seat settings which I think Audi calls "multi-contour" seats are really good once you play around with them and set them to the car seat's memory. They can really hug you and support you while driving that makes you more comfortable. The massage seats, at that point, are just a bonus if you feel like it.

As for finding the car you want, we used AutoTrader to locate possible locations that had a car that fit our description. It took a lot of pouring (poring?) over details on AT's website and than manually looking up the car on the dealer's website to make sure it was still available, but even then it wasn't 100% accurate. Everything on AT definitely exists, but dealers sometimes post cars that are custom ordered and already spoken for once they arrive to the dealership, so you could get a few misses. But there's also nothing that exists that isn't listed on AutoTrader or the dealer's website.

Here's a sample of what might be in your area: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-....0T%20Prestige
Old 01-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife and I just received our 2018 on 12/26/2017 replacing our 2011 white Q5.. If I had ordered one custom, it would have had:
  1. 2018 Prestige (which delivers Warm Weather pack which I wanted)
  2. DAP - I didn't realize how nice it would be... biggest safety item for me... I turned down the "aggressive" lane correction but still find it actually makes longer trips on curvy roads a little easier.
  3. Heads-Up - I really like it personally... shows speed limit changes, shows current speed. makes it easier to stay within the law (or know when you are exceeding speed limit)
  4. Adaptive Chassis (for both 4 wheel steering AND auto leveling chassis)... REALLY love this. turning radius is amazing, and ride is exceptional.
  5. Galaxy Blue exterior and Black seats/Headliner - Didn't want another White or Black car... didn't want grey or silver options either. I liked the look of the all black interior.
  6. 20 inch wheels - I just could not understand the need to pay for extra 21 or 22 inch... turns out that if you go above 20 inch, you CANNOT GET runflat tires (they are not made in that size). so this was a good decision for me, especially since there is no spare tire.
  7. Tow Package - this is the other reason I wanted the Adaptive Chassis
  8. Rear seat Airbags (the car I got DID NOT have this feature).
As you can see from my signature, the car that I received was NOT custom ordered.. I found one that met all the above, but with one extra: the Cold weather Pack - hey, I live in So-California... "What do I need that for"... That said, the heated steering wheel is really nice. The front seats are heated without this option.. the only additional thing you get here is middle seat heaters.. just seemed unnecessary.. (But my son-in-law said: "You mean you would have us sit on COLD Seats?".

Anyway.. good luck on your search. Living in So Cal, I was able to search the websites of about 8-10 dealers for over a month, and this blue one showed up (without a price)... it happened to be at my closest dealer. I went in to talk to them, and it was literally "On the truck" about 2 days away from the dealer when I put a small deposit to "make it mine" when it arrived, but also negotiated a small 3-4% discount off MSRP. Q7's are in such high demand in SoCal, they are not on the lot very long. It was the first Galaxy Blue car that the dealer had received, so I could not really see if l liked the color till it arrived. When my wife saw it, she liked it, and we said yes. by the end of the week, all the Q7 Prestige models had been sold from their inventory.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by wakesurfin
looking for a Q7 with a specific build out - I would usually consider more features but really don't want to give up any of these features. I prefer not to wait 4 months for a special order unless I can get the same ballpark discount. I currently have an offer for a new 2018 Prestige with pretty much everything I want except for 4 wheel steering - 71,220 sticker offered at 64,878 or a bit over 9% off. Seems like a strong offer, but I really wanted the 4ws. Ideally if I could find similar discount with the 4ws, I'd be good to go. I've used This link to the edmunds build out for pricing and spec info.

Prestige (must have around view camera & ventilated seats - I'm guessing Premium Plus can get these but not sure what else I'd be missing)
Driver Assist
Cold Weather
Towing
No luxury - I'm expecting ventilated seats already in prestige ? and I don't know what else this really adds, not thinking we need massage.
Adaptive suspension (would love the 4ws - I think)
Heads up Display (not a deal killer - I hear its not really that impressive. The one we drove only showed the speed limit, the current speed and the auto pilot lines IIRC)

Wife wants white exterior and light interior but we might consider other paint colors, no black..

We're in central Alabama FWIW.

Any suggestions or help appreciated. I"m posting in another thread because we're still considering an XC90 too, but I haven't driven them back to back and feel that when I do the Q will feel much more quiet and more robust. I have read about the issues with 2016 XCs but the '18's seem to have been sorted out pretty well.

thanks!
Chris
Chris,

Cars on the ground or in transit that meet at least that spec will be $74k-$84k MSRP depending on other equipment. There are 21 currently for the entire nation - 18 of those are white with either beige, gray or nougat interior. Your dealer didn't offer to get you one (I imagine if they do, it won't be at that discount).

I am sure I can get you the car - finding the difficult ones and making it happen is what I do best, and I do a ton of out of state deals. But it won't be at near that discount, sorry. Alternatively as mentioned, order the car. You may be able to get it under 4 months, closer to 3, if someone has allocations, and their orders are not yet frozen to changes. Otherwise, it will be a 16 week ETA from start to finish.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I read that adaptive suspension gives you a bit of disconnect between road and steering and focuses too much on comfort, less on performance, and spring suspension is better for sport driving, is this true?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

You have more adjustment with the air suspension vs the spring. At the end of the day, the entire vehicle is designed far more around comfort vs. performance - given the size and the market it caters to
Old 01-18-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by timshuwy
My wife and I just received our 2018 on 12/26/2017 replacing our 2011 white Q5.. If I had ordered one custom, it would have had:
  1. 2018 Prestige (which delivers Warm Weather pack which I wanted)
  2. DAP - I didn't realize how nice it would be... biggest safety item for me... I turned down the "aggressive" lane correction but still find it actually makes longer trips on curvy roads a little easier.
  3. Heads-Up - I really like it personally... shows speed limit changes, shows current speed. makes it easier to stay within the law (or know when you are exceeding speed limit)
  4. Adaptive Chassis (for both 4 wheel steering AND auto leveling chassis)... REALLY love this. turning radius is amazing, and ride is exceptional.
  5. Galaxy Blue exterior and Black seats/Headliner - Didn't want another White or Black car... didn't want grey or silver options either. I liked the look of the all black interior.
  6. 20 inch wheels - I just could not understand the need to pay for extra 21 or 22 inch... turns out that if you go above 20 inch, you CANNOT GET runflat tires (they are not made in that size). so this was a good decision for me, especially since there is no spare tire.
  7. Tow Package - this is the other reason I wanted the Adaptive Chassis
  8. Rear seat Airbags (the car I got DID NOT have this feature).
As you can see from my signature, the car that I received was NOT custom ordered.. I found one that met all the above, but with one extra: the Cold weather Pack - hey, I live in So-California... "What do I need that for"... That said, the heated steering wheel is really nice. The front seats are heated without this option.. the only additional thing you get here is middle seat heaters.. just seemed unnecessary.. (But my son-in-law said: "You mean you would have us sit on COLD Seats?".

Anyway.. good luck on your search. Living in So Cal, I was able to search the websites of about 8-10 dealers for over a month, and this blue one showed up (without a price)... it happened to be at my closest dealer. I went in to talk to them, and it was literally "On the truck" about 2 days away from the dealer when I put a small deposit to "make it mine" when it arrived, but also negotiated a small 3-4% discount off MSRP. Q7's are in such high demand in SoCal, they are not on the lot very long. It was the first Galaxy Blue car that the dealer had received, so I could not really see if l liked the color till it arrived. When my wife saw it, she liked it, and we said yes. by the end of the week, all the Q7 Prestige models had been sold from their inventory.
Out of interest what is the benefit of bigger wheels. I went for the 20inch ones because the tires were all season, and the 21 inch were extra and only in summer. Did I miss out on something great?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hitchens97
Out of interest what is the benefit of bigger wheels. I went for the 20inch ones because the tires were all season, and the 21 inch were extra and only in summer. Did I miss out on something great?
Better Handling and aesthetics.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Better Handling and aesthetics.
Aesthetics matter zip for me, but for those in the know, am I really missing out on a much better handling experience, and should I think about adding bigger wheels?

Quick Reply: looking to buy 2018 Q7 with specific spec