S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Oil leak but not obvious from where?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak but not obvious from where?

Sorry for the cross post, but there's not much movement in the S5 forums.

Hi folks, I just changed my wife's oil in her B8.5 S5 today. While doing my normal OCD stuff, I noticed a bit of oil (I should have taken the pic BEFORE I wiped them down) in the areas marked in red. The connectors were soaked with oil. But the oil wasn't from the oil pan. The oil was clear (not dirty like the engine oil that I just changed) as if it were new engine oil. I am wondering if this silvery rectangular thing (what is this thing?) has sprung a leak somehow. Is this the power steering rack? It was crazy bitter cold up here in the northeast for about 2 week straight - 0F to 15F. I did notice that the plug had some greenish residue along the threads. But this was DRY. So I'm confused as to where this oil could have come from.

Any thoughts? As always, thanks in advance for any assistance.
Attached Thumbnails Oil leak but not obvious from where?-oil.jpg   Oil leak but not obvious from where?-oil2.jpg  
Old 01-18-2018, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When you removed the oil filter housing did you make sure you had rags under the open space under the housing? If not the oil may be from the housing spilling oil down to the area you wiped off . Remember ,however, that engine oil and steering rack oil are totally different make sure you have ID the oil correctly
Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mattq5s4
When you removed the oil filter housing did you make sure you had rags under the open space under the housing? If not the oil may be from the housing spilling oil down to the area you wiped off . Remember ,however, that engine oil and steering rack oil are totally different make sure you have ID the oil correctly
Funny you mention the oil filter since I was thinking about that. The problem is, I would have expected the oil to look dark and old. The oil that I saw looked new. so I'm all confused. I am betting it's the power steering oil. But I'm thinking that should have looked dark and old too.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After more thought we need to remember newer audis have electric steering so the oil is more than likely not from the steering rack.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mattq5s4
After more thought we need to remember newer audis have electric steering so the oil is more than likely not from the steering rack.
Great point! But the silver rectangular part that looks like it has a bar code on it, part #8K0.909.144.F, looks to be some sort of "Steering rack". Since this still has gears inside of it, I would assume that it would have some sort of oil?
Old 01-23-2018, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check it in a few days to see if it is still dry Maybe it was only oil spilled when you took the oil cap off If it is wet again, then shop visit needed