Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New member here with tire changing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member here with tire changing question

Hello folks,

I am new to Audi community and just picked up a new 2018 RS3 recently. This is my first Audi and already I know there will be more to come in the future. The RS3 is such a fun little car to drive all year round. Mine comes with P-zero summer tires and immediately I made a switch to a set of continental all-season. Those P-zeros don't work in cold rainy days we have here Vancouver area and that's why my 911 ended in a ditch 10 days ago. So the question now is, my RS3 has the staggered setting and the all-season I put on are 235/35/R19 all four corners. Should I adjust the tire pressure to a lower psi or keep them as is stated in the owner's manual which it refers to summer performance tires?

I noticed that the car rides much smoother with those new all-season tires, but the tire pressure warning light did come up for a little while I was on my way home. I stopped and restarted then it is gone. I am sure sure what tire pressure the tire shop set when they installed my new tires, but I'll double check tomorrow.

Again, I just to send my greetings to all of you. Have a good one everybody.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here’s a quick cellphone picture of my RS3
Old 01-18-2018, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by py0413
Hello folks,

I am new to Audi community and just picked up a new 2018 RS3 recently. This is my first Audi and already I know there will be more to come in the future. The RS3 is such a fun little car to drive all year round. Mine comes with P-zero summer tires and immediately I made a switch to a set of continental all-season. Those P-zeros don't work in cold rainy days we have here Vancouver area and that's why my 911 ended in a ditch 10 days ago. So the question now is, my RS3 has the staggered setting and the all-season I put on are 235/35/R19 all four corners. Should I adjust the tire pressure to a lower psi or keep them as is stated in the owner's manual which it refers to summer performance tires?

I noticed that the car rides much smoother with those new all-season tires, but the tire pressure warning light did come up for a little while I was on my way home. I stopped and restarted then it is gone. I am sure sure what tire pressure the tire shop set when they installed my new tires, but I'll double check tomorrow.

Congratulations on your car. I have the same setup and switched from staggered summer to square winter setup (not A/S). I was advised to keep the same tire pressure since the weight is more on the front tires and a higher pressure upfront made sense. A call to Audi corporate confirmed this. I've been running this since December and have had no issues. I'm sure there will be others with different opinions but that's the best information I could find.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by py0413
Hello folks,

I am new to Audi community and just picked up a new 2018 RS3 recently. This is my first Audi and already I know there will be more to come in the future. The RS3 is such a fun little car to drive all year round. ......

Congrats on your 2018 RS3 (love the Glacier White with Black Optics) and welcome to the group. You'll find that several of us are either current or former 911 owners so I'm looking forward to your comparisons between the two.

It pained me to read about your 911 going into the ditch. I hope it wasn't damaged too much. At least this is a good time of the year to get it fixed (relatively speaking).
Old 01-18-2018, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is the worst part of the damage from what eyes ccan see.
Heavy rain + low temperature + wrong tire + possible oil leak on the road surface = 25k-35k repair + 3-4 months in the shop 🤦🏻*♂️

Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by michael818
Congratulations on your car. I have the same setup and switched from staggered summer to square winter setup (not A/S). I was advised to keep the same tire pressure since the weight is more on the front tires and a higher pressure upfront made sense. A call to Audi corporate confirmed this. I've been running this since December and have had no issues. I'm sure there will be others with different opinions but that's the best information I could find.
Originally Posted by russbert
Congrats on your 2018 RS3 (love the Glacier White with Black Optics) and welcome to the group. You'll find that several of us are either current or former 911 owners so I'm looking forward to your comparisons between the two.

It pained me to read about your 911 going into the ditch. I hope it wasn't damaged too much. At least this is a good time of the year to get it fixed (relatively speaking).
Thank you guys. I did a bit more research and phoned the service department and they also suggest keeping the same recommended tire pressure, so I guess problem is solved and now I need to go and adjust that to the right psi. Really appreciate your input. The day before buying the RS3, I did test drive a bmw M2 and I had such high expectations for that car since it has been praised so much and I actually one one on order when it was first announced, but the order was canceled due to the short supply of that time. After the drive, I wasn’t too impressed at all, I am sure it’s a great little fun car too but, to me,the seats were uncomfortable and the steering feedback was way too artificial, the gearbox was very rough in all modes. I had owned 4 bmw cars before and only the X5 which I sold last September wasn’t a M car. The next day I called up my friend who works at Audi and went for a short test drive, signed the papers and took the RS3 home next morning.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear about the 911 repair bill, it didn't look that bad in the pics, although the road looks like fun - at least without possible oil.

The air pressure alert requires a reset in the MMI interface, as the car uses tire rotation to identify low tire rather than a traditional tpms.

Great to see more RS3's showing up in Vancouver! I'm running the Nokian snow tires on mine, and handles rain very easily, with the staggered factory wheel/tires for summer.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tjacoby
sorry to hear about the 911 repair bill, it didn't look that bad in the pics, although the road looks like fun - at least without possible oil.

The air pressure alert requires a reset in the MMI interface, as the car uses tire rotation to identify low tire rather than a traditional tpms.

Great to see more RS3's showing up in Vancouver! I'm running the Nokian snow tires on mine, and handles rain very easily, with the staggered factory wheel/tires for summer.
Thank you so much for the useful information. I just had a chance to readjust the tire pressures all four corners and took it out for a quick drive. Everything looks good now. The 911 will be taken care of by the insurance, however, the wait for the parts to come from Germany is way longer than I had expected. I guess there’s not much I can do and by the time it’s all fixed up, the driving season will be about to start. I’ll swith back to the summer tires as I occasionally track my cars. Like I mentioned, this is my first Audi and I am very impressed. I was on the edge about the RWS R8 I ordered last year, now I am crossing my fingers 🤞 and hope that car can really arrive in late spring as dealer said. Is there any active Audi car club here in metro Vancouver? Since I am all new to Audi I had no idea or info about this part of the community. My friend and I are members of PCA and we really enjoy the activities hosted by the club.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm. This thread makes me wonder how the stock Pirellis do in warm rain? I have lots of wet weather where I live, but it's all warm. Anyone have relevant experience to offer?
Old 01-18-2018, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zzcett
Hmmm. This thread makes me wonder how the stock Pirellis do in warm rain? I have lots of wet weather where I live, but it's all warm. Anyone have relevant experience to offer?
It has done perfectly fine for me in the warm rain here in Tennessee although I haven't pushed it enough to find the "edge of the table" so to speak. However, I remembered this video from Shmee150 that you might enjoy:

Any further update on when your RS3 will arrive? I'm sure you're anxious to get it.

Quick Reply: New member here with tire changing question